Sign in with
Your question

Help please!!! upgrade ram to 12gb

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
April 25, 2012 4:46:37 AM

I have my S series laptop by sony it says the max ram on the specs chart on sony.esupport is 8gb but i wanna go to 12gb i have 4gb itergrated on the mother bord an a open slot currently with a 2gb they sell an 8gb i wanna put in this slot can i? will it work? can i make it work? please help tom's

Sony S - VPCSA3SGX
Intel Core i7 - 2640M CPU @ 2.80GHz
Ram 6GB HD 500GB AMD Radeon 1GB

if any other info is needed please let me know thank you.

More about : upgrade ram 12gb

a b D Laptop
April 25, 2012 4:53:28 AM

there are very few 8GB sticks available. Your motherboard may actually have a total of 4 slots, two will be on the bottom which are accessible by removing a plate and 2 more underneath the keyboard. If you only have two slots, just buy an 8GB set of 2 sticks and put them both in, replacing the one you have in there already.
April 25, 2012 5:15:42 AM

i only have one slot on the bottom n more than that one they do sell a 8gb single ram card at compusa by amd can i work with that
Related resources
a b D Laptop
April 25, 2012 7:18:52 AM

hmm, that's the first laptop I've seen with DRAM soldered directly to the motherboard. That's extremely unusual as it makes it very difficult to pair or match the memory. I do not know how they've wired up that slot on the bottom, it's possible that it can only support 4GB. I suggest calling them and finding out.
April 25, 2012 7:43:23 AM

tell me about it i wanted to get two 8gb bcuz intel says my processer can haddle 16gb but due to the 4gb intergrated it set back i called them 3 times already even did an online chat trust me no help at all no body speaks good english its sony haha but whats gona happen if i pop the 8gb into that open slot anything bad?????????
April 25, 2012 7:48:43 AM

ddrivera said:
I have my S series laptop by sony it says the max ram on the specs chart on sony.esupport is 8gb but i wanna go to 12gb i have 4gb itergrated on the mother bord an a open slot currently with a 2gb they sell an 8gb i wanna put in this slot can i? will it work? can i make it work? please help tom's

Sony S - VPCSA3SGX
Intel Core i7 - 2640M CPU @ 2.80GHz
Ram 6GB HD 500GB AMD Radeon 1GB
Windows 7 Pro

if any other info is needed please let me know thank you.

a c 571 D Laptop
April 25, 2012 9:17:57 AM

ddrivera said:
intel says my processer can haddle 16gb
Where does Intel say that? Your Core i7-2640M can handle a lot more than 16GB of RAM.
You're going to be limited on the amount of RAM you can use either by your motherboard or the version of Windows 7 you're using.

What are you doing that you need more than 8GB of RAM?
a b D Laptop
April 28, 2012 12:35:09 AM

ddrivera said:
tell me about it i wanted to get two 8gb bcuz intel says my processer can haddle 16gb but due to the 4gb intergrated it set back i called them 3 times already even did an online chat trust me no help at all no body speaks good english its sony haha but whats gona happen if i pop the 8gb into that open slot anything bad?????????

That's correct, the processor can handle a large amount of RAM but the system only has one slot so the maximum that you can add is whatever you can fit in that one slot.
May 28, 2012 5:07:38 PM

Hi DDrivera,
Any luck??? I have that EXACT same laptop, Sony VPCSA390X-CTO?? Anyways, I have an i5, 240GB MaxIops OCZ SATA 3 and I wanna upgrade to 12GB's of RAM as well... any luck?!?!?
a c 249 D Laptop
May 29, 2012 1:06:43 AM

Hi :) 

It wont work...

All the best Brett :) 
!