Service Pack 2 Install Problem

I recently succesfully installed SP2 on my WinXP pro system.

However, it didnt go entirely smooth.

In the install, in XP, at the near end, the install just seemed to stop
dead. But the system was stable.

The install was in the following status...

--> Finishing Installation

--> Details
--> Performing Cleanup

I left it for ages and it was obviously stuck.

So I restarted, and it gave me and it was just like I had SP2 was installed,
the updates option came up, and then the security console appeared on login.

So im not sure what to do. SP2 works fine (so far), but if I install again
it wont finish the installation properly.

Thanks.

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:7A94D809-AB63-472F-B0E6-843868957560@microsoft.com,
Tom Brickman <TomBrickman@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> I recently succesfully installed SP2 on my WinXP pro system.
>
> However, it didnt go entirely smooth.
>
> In the install, in XP, at the near end, the install just seemed to
> stop dead. But the system was stable.
>
> The install was in the following status...
>
> --> Finishing Installation
>
> --> Details
> --> Performing Cleanup
>
> I left it for ages and it was obviously stuck.
>
> So I restarted, and it gave me and it was just like I had SP2 was
> installed, the updates option came up, and then the security console
> appeared on login.
>
> So im not sure what to do. SP2 works fine (so far), but if I install
> again it wont finish the installation properly.
>
> Thanks.

Well, you know what they say about if it's not broken... Anyhow, have you
tried to install SP2 in safe mode from CD? That's the next step that I'd
take on that system if I were you. You did have your antivirus disabled and
nothing else running at the time of installation?

Galen

Tom;
Right click My Computer and click Properties?
Does it say "Service Pack 2" under System?
If it does and everything else is OK, SP-2 installation is fine.
Even from your description is sounds like installation was finished but the
cleanup had problems.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

"Tom Brickman" <TomBrickman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I recently succesfully installed SP2 on my WinXP pro system.
>
> However, it didnt go entirely smooth.
>
> In the install, in XP, at the near end, the install just seemed to stop
> dead. But the system was stable.
>
> The install was in the following status...
>
> --> Finishing Installation
>
> --> Details
> --> Performing Cleanup
>
> I left it for ages and it was obviously stuck.
>
> So I restarted, and it gave me and it was just like I had SP2 was
> installed,
> the updates option came up, and then the security console appeared on
> login.
>
> So im not sure what to do. SP2 works fine (so far), but if I install again
> it wont finish the installation properly.
>
> Thanks.

I think this might be the same problem as with Windows 2003 when you hardened
ther system. If you put the DTC (Distribution Transaction Coordinator) to
DISABLED it will fail.

Just want to inform that this has now been confirmed by MS that it's a
problem if you put the DTC (Distribution Transaction Coordinator) to DISABLED.

If you try to install Windows 2003 SP1 it will tell you that you have to
enable that service before installing - so apparently this is a problem.

This has been discussed earlier - just do a search in this forum for
"Performing Cleanup". Also discussed at HP ITRC Forum:
http://www4.itrc.hp.com/service/james/dispDoc.do?docURL=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.hp.com%2Fredirect.html%3Furl%3Dhttp%253A%2F%2Fforums1.itrc.hp.com%2Fservice%2Fforums%2Fquestionanswer.do%253FthreadId%253D706519%26qt%3D%252B%2522%2B%252Bperforming%2B%252Bcleanup%2B%2522%26hit%3D1&aid=SEARCH_FORUMS&pil=1&serStr=%22performing+cleanup%22&pir=1

However, I don't know if you after SP1 can put it to disabled and future
patches can be successfully installed with the DTC service set to DISABLED.

"Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:

> Tom;
> Right click My Computer and click Properties?
> Does it say "Service Pack 2" under System?
> If it does and everything else is OK, SP-2 installation is fine.
> Even from your description is sounds like installation was finished but the
> cleanup had problems.
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
> In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol
> http://www.dts-l.org
>

> "Tom Brickman" <TomBrickman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I recently succesfully installed SP2 on my WinXP pro system.
> >
> > However, it didnt go entirely smooth.
> >
> > In the install, in XP, at the near end, the install just seemed to stop
> > dead. But the system was stable.
> >
> > The install was in the following status...
> >
> > --> Finishing Installation
> >
> > --> Details
> > --> Performing Cleanup
> >
> > I left it for ages and it was obviously stuck.
> >
> > So I restarted, and it gave me and it was just like I had SP2 was
> > installed,
> > the updates option came up, and then the security console appeared on
> > login.
> >
> > So im not sure what to do. SP2 works fine (so far), but if I install again
> > it wont finish the installation properly.
> >
> > Thanks.

I've seen the "Perfroming Cleanup" delay before. If your system is not hung (mouse won't move, un-pingable, etc) then check to see if the Service Pack is actually performing any updates by opening event viewer (Start, Run, eventvwr). Open the system log. Look for entries labeled "NTServicePack". It is my experience you'll see a number of these. Close the event viewer (it does not show these updates while you have it open. Come back in 5 minutes and see if you have at least one new update or more. (Machines with high CPU utilization and minimal remaining disk space take longer.)

If you have new entries labeled NTServicePack the update is still working. As the KBXXXXXX numbers climb within each message, you're getting closer to the end.