Admin password lost... What should be done..?

Hello,

A collegue of mine forgot the Admin password of the Dell laptop.

I'm trying to get to it, but so far, no luck.
The software I'm using, still needs more than a day, and I think it's
not sure that it will get it in the end.

So, could Dell mean something for my collegue in this case?

Any advice would be very welcome.
11 answers Last reply
More about admin password lost done

    Go to the following URL, download the software and build either a bootable
    floppy or bootable CD. Boot the system, remove the admin password.

    .... Ben Myers

    On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 14:56:16 +0100, nospam@hotmail.com (Robby) wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >A collegue of mine forgot the Admin password of the Dell laptop.
    >
    >I'm trying to get to it, but so far, no luck.
    >The software I'm using, still needs more than a day, and I think it's
    >not sure that it will get it in the end.
    >
    >So, could Dell mean something for my collegue in this case?
    >
    >Any advice would be very welcome.

    i am unclear as to what you are trying to accomplish. but i would guess
    that you can no longer log in normally, and also can't log in as
    administrator because you have lost/forgotten the password. if that is the
    case then your inability to log in normally may have been caused by registry
    corruption which you may be able to correct with a recovery reinstall...
    but first things first. have you tried ""/blank/no password to get in as
    admin? unless it was explicitly set the admin password is blank. second,
    if you are just trying to recover data then the simplest way to do that is
    purchase a $5 adapter for the 2.5" laptop hard drive and use it to connect
    the laptop hard disk to a desktop system and copy the data off (comupsa,
    ebay). once that is done you can put the hdd back into the laptop and
    reload the os.

    "Robby" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > A collegue of mine forgot the Admin password of the Dell laptop.
    >
    > I'm trying to get to it, but so far, no luck.
    > The software I'm using, still needs more than a day, and I think it's
    > not sure that it will get it in the end.
    >
    > So, could Dell mean something for my collegue in this case?
    >
    > Any advice would be very welcome.

    failing that flash the bios with a dell bios disk and it will renove the
    admin password as a by action as it whipes the eprom
    >i am unclear as to what you are trying to accomplish. but i would guess
    > that you can no longer log in normally, and also can't log in as
    > administrator because you have lost/forgotten the password. if that is
    > the
    > case then your inability to log in normally may have been caused by
    > registry
    > corruption which you may be able to correct with a recovery reinstall...
    > but first things first. have you tried ""/blank/no password to get in as
    > admin? unless it was explicitly set the admin password is blank. second,
    > if you are just trying to recover data then the simplest way to do that is
    > purchase a $5 adapter for the 2.5" laptop hard drive and use it to connect
    > the laptop hard disk to a desktop system and copy the data off (comupsa,
    > ebay). once that is done you can put the hdd back into the laptop and
    > reload the os.
    >
    > "Robby" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> A collegue of mine forgot the Admin password of the Dell laptop.
    >>
    >> I'm trying to get to it, but so far, no luck.
    >> The software I'm using, still needs more than a day, and I think it's
    >> not sure that it will get it in the end.
    >>
    >> So, could Dell mean something for my collegue in this case?
    >>
    >> Any advice would be very welcome.

    Oops! Is this the BIOS admin password or the operating system admin password?
    If the latter, my earlier response was OK. If the former, I leave the solution
    to others better versed in how to deal with notebook computers... Ben Myers

    On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 14:32:52 GMT, ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben
    Myers) wrote:

    >Go to the following URL, download the software and build either a bootable
    >floppy or bootable CD. Boot the system, remove the admin password.
    >
    >http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/
    >
    >... Ben Myers
    >
    >On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 14:56:16 +0100, nospam@hotmail.com (Robby) wrote:
    >
    >>Hello,
    >>
    >>A collegue of mine forgot the Admin password of the Dell laptop.
    >>
    >>I'm trying to get to it, but so far, no luck.
    >>The software I'm using, still needs more than a day, and I think it's
    >>not sure that it will get it in the end.
    >>
    >>So, could Dell mean something for my collegue in this case?
    >>
    >>Any advice would be very welcome.

    Good question - if it's the BIOS password, call Dell, prove ownership,
    and they will assist you.

    Ben Myers wrote:
    > Oops! Is this the BIOS admin password or the operating system admin password?
    > If the latter, my earlier response was OK. If the former, I leave the solution
    > to others better versed in how to deal with notebook computers... Ben Myers
    >
    > On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 14:32:52 GMT, ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben
    > Myers) wrote:

    In article <41f3b4db.789354@nntp.charter.net>, ben_myers_spam_me_not @
    charter.net (Ben Myers) says...
    > Go to the following URL, download the software and build either a bootable
    > floppy or bootable CD. Boot the system, remove the admin password.
    >
    > http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/
    >
    > ... Ben Myers
    >
    > On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 14:56:16 +0100, nospam@hotmail.com (Robby) wrote:
    >
    > >Hello,
    > >
    > >A collegue of mine forgot the Admin password of the Dell laptop.
    > >
    > >I'm trying to get to it, but so far, no luck.
    > >The software I'm using, still needs more than a day, and I think it's
    > >not sure that it will get it in the end.
    > >
    > >So, could Dell mean something for my collegue in this case?
    > >
    > >Any advice would be very welcome.

    Ben,

    Thanks a lot. I've made the floppy, and will try it tomorrow.

    Kind regards,
    Robby

    In article <41f3e34a.12677926@nntp.charter.net>, ben_myers_spam_me_not @
    Ben,

    Yes, it is the OS Admin password. The bios menu can be accessed.

    So I'll give it a go with the ntpassword boot disk today.

    If that fails, I'll try one of the other solutions suggested.

    Robby

    charter.net (Ben Myers) says...

    | In article <41f3e34a.12677926@nntp.charter.net>, ben_myers_spam_me_not @
    | Ben,
    |
    | Yes, it is the OS Admin password. The bios menu can be accessed.
    |
    | So I'll give it a go with the ntpassword boot disk today.
    |
    | If that fails, I'll try one of the other solutions suggested.
    |
    | Robby

    Unless your friend has taken specific steps to password protect the "built
    in" XP administrator account" (few do) it should be as simple as starting
    the computer in Safe Mode logging into the built in administrator account
    with a blank password and changing the password of the users account.

    How to log on to Windows XP if you forget your password or your password
    expires;

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;321305

    I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
    I was just trying to help.
    advice herein.
    No warranty is expressed or implied.
    Your mileage may vary.
    See store for details. :)

    Remove shoes to E-mail.

    nospam@hotmail.com (Robby) writes:

    >A collegue of mine forgot the Admin password of the Dell laptop.

    >I'm trying to get to it, but so far, no luck.
    >The software I'm using, still needs more than a day, and I think it's
    >not sure that it will get it in the end.

    >So, could Dell mean something for my collegue in this case?

    They'll tell you to reinstall Windows, wiping out your existing
    system and accounts. Unless you want to enter into a (hideously
    expensive) support contract -- and maybe not even then -- that
    sort of support probably isn't anything Dell wants to get into.

    There are several commercial products on the market that will do
    what you want, such as Winternals' "ERD Commander". They're good
    (I've purchased several copies for my staff) but they're expensive.

    There are also a number of freeware tools running around the net
    which can either forcibly change the password on a local account,
    or attempt to crack it. For an individual consumer machine the
    better freeware products are probably a good choice, but with the
    caveat that they *are* free, and have no assurance of support
    if something goes wrong.

    One force-change tool that I've tested that seems to work is the
    Trinity Rescue Kit; google for that phrase and you should find
    the links you need.

    Note that the fact that these force-change tools exist is a good
    example of why physical security of a computer system is a requirement
    if you really do want to protect the data they hold.

    Joe Morris

    I have used Pettar Nordahl's password cracker countless times without incident.
    Without support either, to your point. But little or no support is needed
    unless one cannot decipher the command oriented instructions... Ben Myers

    On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 13:56:12 +0000 (UTC), Joe Morris <jcmorris@mitre.org> wrote:

    >nospam@hotmail.com (Robby) writes:
    >
    >>A collegue of mine forgot the Admin password of the Dell laptop.
    >
    >>I'm trying to get to it, but so far, no luck.
    >>The software I'm using, still needs more than a day, and I think it's
    >>not sure that it will get it in the end.
    >
    >>So, could Dell mean something for my collegue in this case?
    >
    >They'll tell you to reinstall Windows, wiping out your existing
    >system and accounts. Unless you want to enter into a (hideously
    >expensive) support contract -- and maybe not even then -- that
    >sort of support probably isn't anything Dell wants to get into.
    >
    >There are several commercial products on the market that will do
    >what you want, such as Winternals' "ERD Commander". They're good
    >(I've purchased several copies for my staff) but they're expensive.
    >
    >There are also a number of freeware tools running around the net
    >which can either forcibly change the password on a local account,
    >or attempt to crack it. For an individual consumer machine the
    >better freeware products are probably a good choice, but with the
    >caveat that they *are* free, and have no assurance of support
    >if something goes wrong.
    >
    >One force-change tool that I've tested that seems to work is the
    >Trinity Rescue Kit; google for that phrase and you should find
    >the links you need.
    >
    >Note that the fact that these force-change tools exist is a good
    >example of why physical security of a computer system is a requirement
    >if you really do want to protect the data they hold.
    >
    >Joe Morris

    In article <41f52579.16464831@nntp.charter.net>, ben_myers_spam_me_not @
    charter.net (Ben Myers) says...
    > I have used Pettar Nordahl's password cracker countless times without incident.
    > Without support either, to your point. But little or no support is needed
    > unless one cannot decipher the command oriented instructions... Ben Myers
    >
    > On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 13:56:12 +0000 (UTC), Joe Morris <jcmorris@mitre.org> wrote:
    >
    > >nospam@hotmail.com (Robby) writes:
    > >
    > >>A collegue of mine forgot the Admin password of the Dell laptop.
    > >
    > >>I'm trying to get to it, but so far, no luck.
    > >>The software I'm using, still needs more than a day, and I think it's
    > >>not sure that it will get it in the end.
    > >
    > >>So, could Dell mean something for my collegue in this case?
    > >
    > >They'll tell you to reinstall Windows, wiping out your existing
    > >system and accounts. Unless you want to enter into a (hideously
    > >expensive) support contract -- and maybe not even then -- that
    > >sort of support probably isn't anything Dell wants to get into.
    > >
    > >There are several commercial products on the market that will do
    > >what you want, such as Winternals' "ERD Commander". They're good
    > >(I've purchased several copies for my staff) but they're expensive.
    > >
    > >There are also a number of freeware tools running around the net
    > >which can either forcibly change the password on a local account,
    > >or attempt to crack it. For an individual consumer machine the
    > >better freeware products are probably a good choice, but with the
    > >caveat that they *are* free, and have no assurance of support
    > >if something goes wrong.
    > >
    > >One force-change tool that I've tested that seems to work is the
    > >Trinity Rescue Kit; google for that phrase and you should find
    > >the links you need.
    > >
    > >Note that the fact that these force-change tools exist is a good
    > >example of why physical security of a computer system is a requirement
    > >if you really do want to protect the data they hold.
    > >
    > >Joe Morris

    Ben,

    The Nordahl boot disk worked..!
    LC5 failed, BTW...