system restore denied

I am trying to do a system restore after my husband did something stupid. I
keep getting the message **system restore has been turned off by group
policy. To turn on system restore, contact your domain administrator** What
do I do to be able to do a system restore? What exactly is a domain
administrator? We have windows xp family edition.

Thank you
1 answer Last reply
More about system restore denied

    Hi Gizmos80,

    As more issues of this sort are showing up lately, i think this may be
    caused by malware / trojan etc. It's a good idea to do a clean-up. Follow
    the advice given in the following pages:

    Generic Trojan / Adware Infestation Removal Procedure:

    The Parasite Fight - Quick Fix Protocol:
    http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.php

    Once you're sure that the system is clean, disable the System Restore
    restrictions. Follow this:

    Click Start/Run and type REGEDIT
    Navigate to the following key:

    HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\SystemRestore

    In the right-pane,
    Delete the value "DisableConfig"
    Delete the value "DisableSR"

    For Windows XP Professional, you can accomplish the above task using Group
    Policy Editor as well. Details follows:

    Click Start/Run and type GPEDIT.MSC
    Navigate to this path:

    =>Computer Configuration
    ==>Administrative Templates
    ===>System
    ====>System Restore

    In the right-pane, do the following:

    Double-click "Turn off System Restore" to "Not Configured"
    Double-click "Turn off Configuration" to "Not Configured"

    More Information:
    ------------------

    "Turn off System Restore" corresponds to "DisableSR" registry value
    -> With this Policy is turned ON, the System Restore tab may be missing
    in My Computer Properties. Also, when you run System Restore (rstrui.exe),
    you receive this message:

    [Msg] "System Restore has been turned off by group policy. To turn on
    System Restore, contact your domain Administrator." [/Msg]

    "Turn off Configuration" corresponds to "DisableConfig" registry value
    -> With this Policy turned ON, the System Restore tab will remain
    displayed but the user cannot configure the SR options. It reads "disabled
    by Group Policy"

    System Restore Group Policy restrictions:
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/srpolicy.htm

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "Gizmos80" <Gizmos80@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am trying to do a system restore after my husband did something stupid. I
    > keep getting the message **system restore has been turned off by group
    > policy. To turn on system restore, contact your domain administrator**
    > What
    > do I do to be able to do a system restore? What exactly is a domain
    > administrator? We have windows xp family edition.
    >
    > Thank you

Domain Microsoft System Restore Windows XP