system restore denied

I am trying to do a system restore after my husband did something stupid. I
keep getting the message **system restore has been turned off by group
policy. To turn on system restore, contact your domain administrator** What
do I do to be able to do a system restore? What exactly is a domain
administrator? We have windows xp family edition.

Thank you

Hi Gizmos80,

As more issues of this sort are showing up lately, i think this may be
caused by malware / trojan etc. It's a good idea to do a clean-up. Follow
the advice given in the following pages:

Generic Trojan / Adware Infestation Removal Procedure:

The Parasite Fight - Quick Fix Protocol:
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.php

Once you're sure that the system is clean, disable the System Restore
restrictions. Follow this:

Click Start/Run and type REGEDIT
Navigate to the following key:

HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\SystemRestore

In the right-pane,
Delete the value "DisableConfig"
Delete the value "DisableSR"

For Windows XP Professional, you can accomplish the above task using Group
Policy Editor as well. Details follows:

Click Start/Run and type GPEDIT.MSC
Navigate to this path:

=>Computer Configuration
==>Administrative Templates
===>System
====>System Restore

In the right-pane, do the following:

Double-click "Turn off System Restore" to "Not Configured"
Double-click "Turn off Configuration" to "Not Configured"

More Information:
------------------

"Turn off System Restore" corresponds to "DisableSR" registry value
-> With this Policy is turned ON, the System Restore tab may be missing
in My Computer Properties. Also, when you run System Restore (rstrui.exe),
you receive this message:

[Msg] "System Restore has been turned off by group policy. To turn on
System Restore, contact your domain Administrator." [/Msg]

"Turn off Configuration" corresponds to "DisableConfig" registry value
-> With this Policy turned ON, the System Restore tab will remain
displayed but the user cannot configure the SR options. It reads "disabled
by Group Policy"

System Restore Group Policy restrictions:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/srpolicy.htm

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User