Linksys WRT54G Router help!

I recently pcked up a Linksys WRT 54G router & hooked it up to my Dell
4100, which has a soho ethernet card & motorola Cable modem. The cable
service is great, but I bought the router to add security. I have no
other computer or server added to my 4100.
I signed up for the trial TZO service to add dynamic routing. They
assigned me a domain name, and I expected my IP address to change. It
does not. My IP address stays static, it is the same now as it has
always been. The router & TZO show no change to me. I put all the TZO
info into the router setup, but no change. I notice when I run winicnfg,
it seems to default to PPP. Is that a potential problem? Can anyone
steer me in the right direction here? I know I must be leaving out
details you may need to help me troubleshoot, I can provide other
details if I know where to look
Thanks
Steve C.

<lobotomy@webtv.net> wrote in message
>I recently pcked up a Linksys WRT 54G router & hooked it up to my Dell
> 4100, which has a soho ethernet card & motorola Cable modem. The cable
> service is great, but I bought the router to add security. I have no
> other computer or server added to my 4100.
> I signed up for the trial TZO service to add dynamic routing. They
> assigned me a domain name, and I expected my IP address to change. It
> does not. My IP address stays static, it is the same now as it has
> always been. The router & TZO show no change to me. I put all the TZO
> info into the router setup, but no change. I notice when I run winicnfg,
> it seems to default to PPP. Is that a potential problem? Can anyone
> steer me in the right direction here? I know I must be leaving out
> details you may need to help me troubleshoot, I can provide other
> details if I know where to look
> Thanks
> Steve C.

Dude, You are confused on sooo many levels.

#1. TZO does not provide dynamic routing. They are a dynamic DNS service. If
you arent hosting anything on your computer (which would probably violate
your cable terms of usage), its pointless.
#2. If there is only 1 computer behind your linksys router, its IP address
WILL NEVER CHANGE. Its the only machine getting an IP address from DHCP
#3. With reliable broadband services, it is not improbable that you will
have the same "dynamic" IP address for long periods of time.
#4. What operating system are you using? There is no such WINICNFG command.
There is WINIPCFG and IPCONFIG.
#5. Where are you seeing that PPP is being used? Is it possible you have a
modem and are seeing a dialup adapter? Or, does your provider require PPPoE
?

- NuTs

> I signed up for the trial TZO service to add dynamic routing. They
> assigned me a domain name, and I expected my IP address to change.

Are you describing something akin to dyndns.org where you have a "domain
name" that gets redirected to your current IP address ?

If thats the case, your IP won't chance, but if it does, there should be
a way to update it so any attempts to access your "domain" get given the
correct IP address.

"Colin Wilson" <void@btinternet.com> wrote in message
>> I signed up for the trial TZO service to add dynamic routing. They
>> assigned me a domain name, and I expected my IP address to change.
>
> Are you describing something akin to dyndns.org where you have a "domain
> name" that gets redirected to your current IP address ?
>
> If thats the case, your IP won't chance, but if it does, there should be
> a way to update it so any attempts to access your "domain" get given the
> correct IP address.

wrong

> wrong

Care to elaborate on that ?

I`ve had a dyndns account for about 4 years now, and if I need to run a
server on my machine I simply run the IP updater.

The OP mentioned dynamic IP addresses, so unless i`ve missed something
(which i`m quite open to believe I might have done) you`d need to say
exactly why i`m wrong.