Printing from a T3

August 5, 2005 4:17:14 PM

Is there a way to print from a T3 using IR to a printer with IR (ie. HP 450
cbi).

If so what program/driver would I need?

Lindsay

More about : printing

Anonymous
August 5, 2005 4:17:15 PM

A Google search found this program:

Bachmann Software PrintBoy

http://www.bachmannsoftware.com/pbprem.htm

Print and share your business-critical information precisely when and
where you need it. PrintBoy lets you print directly to your printer
using an infrared, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, serial or TCP/IP connection. With
PrintBoy, you can print documents to your local area network printer
via Bluetooth, send an important report to your office printer via
your modem/smart phone, or print out your meeting notes using the
InfraReady adapter and the printer in the conference room. Enjoy the
real benefits of mobile computing by taking your ability to print your
documents "anywhere" you go!

--
(. .)
=ooO=(_)=Ooo========================

"Lindsay Cripps" <gtext_nospam_@alphalink.com.au> wrote in message
> Is there a way to print from a T3 using IR to a printer with IR (ie. HP
> 450 cbi).
>
> If so what program/driver would I need?
>
> Lindsay

If I've ever wanted to use an IR equiped printer with my T3 I've just
squirted the document at it in the same way that I would do if I wanted to
beam it to someone else. You get no formatting but it's very handy for
handing any notes to a non palm carrying luddite!
Anonymous
August 6, 2005 9:51:32 PM

In article news:hzKIe.1397$jq6.274@newsfe2-win.ntli.net, JohnW wrote:
> "Lindsay Cripps" <gtext_nospam_@alphalink.com.au> wrote in message
>> Is there a way to print from a T3 using IR to a printer with IR (ie.
>> HP 450 cbi).
>>
>> If so what program/driver would I need?
>>
> If I've ever wanted to use an IR equiped printer with my T3 I've just
> squirted the document at it in the same way that I would do if I
> wanted to beam it to someone else.

Though very convenient, not all printers will support that sadly. There
are two possible IrDA services: firstly IrLPT, a form of the the generic
cable replacement IrCOMM; and secondly the object transfer service,
OBEX. The latter being PalmOS’s Beaming, Nokia’s “Send … via IR“ etc.

Unfortunately not all printers/converter devices support the latter.
From the set of four listed at http://homepage.mac.com/alvinmok/irda/,
only two have OBEX. However I'd hope though that all modern devices
support 'beaming'; I think its a requirement of IrReady.

For more on IrDA service types see
http://www.alanjmcf.me.uk/comms/infrared/IrDA%20uses%20(brief).html

> You get no formatting but it's
> very handy for handing any notes to a non palm carrying luddite!

(I'd expect printers with OBEX to understand vCard, vCalender, and vNote
objects at the least--from Address-, Date-Book, and Memopad
respectively--and apply some basic parsing and formatting, e.g. bold
headers. If the first two types, at least, were printed as is it would
produce a nearly unreadable mess. For any types it doesn't understand
it can of course only print them raw.)
--
Alan J. McFarlane
http://www.alanjmcf.me.uk/