Where can I find missing file?

When I go to test the hardware in the VOICE RECORDING section of SOUNDS &
AUDIO DEVISES, I get an Error Code 0x 80004005: “occurred during DirectPlay
Voice Setup – We can not execute Dpvsetup.exe, use ADD/REMOVE PROGRAM CONTROL
PANEL TO INSTALL.� I can’t find that file anywhere for installing,
including in the Installation Disc.

Any suggestions? Thanx in advance.
9 answers Last reply
More about where find missing file

    Error Message: Windows Cannot Execute DPVSetup.exe, Use Add/Remove Programs
    Control Panel to Install
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=282882&sd=RMVP

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:D9903E39-BE6F-4A36-826F-FD1C15BDF89D@microsoft.com,
    Ira8A <Ira8A@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > When I go to test the hardware in the VOICE RECORDING section of
    > SOUNDS & AUDIO DEVISES, I get an Error Code 0x 80004005: “occurred
    > during DirectPlay Voice Setup – We can not execute Dpvsetup.exe,
    > use ADD/REMOVE PROGRAM CONTROL PANEL TO INSTALL.� I can’t find
    > that file anywhere for installing, including in the Installation Disc.
    >
    > Any suggestions? Thanx in advance.

    Thanx for trying, but I already "been there, done that." Didn't work. Maybe
    if I could just install the file like it suggests....?
    "Wesley Vogel" wrote:

    > Error Message: Windows Cannot Execute DPVSetup.exe, Use Add/Remove Programs
    > Control Panel to Install
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=282882&sd=RMVP
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:D9903E39-BE6F-4A36-826F-FD1C15BDF89D@microsoft.com,
    > Ira8A <Ira8A@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > > When I go to test the hardware in the VOICE RECORDING section of
    > > SOUNDS & AUDIO DEVISES, I get an Error Code 0x 80004005: “occurred
    > > during DirectPlay Voice Setup – We can not execute Dpvsetup.exe,
    > > use ADD/REMOVE PROGRAM CONTROL PANEL TO INSTALL.� I can’t find
    > > that file anywhere for installing, including in the Installation Disc.
    > >
    > > Any suggestions? Thanx in advance.

    C:\WINDOWS\system32
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache
    C:\WINDOWS\RegisteredPackages\{44BBA855-CC51-11CF-AAFA-00AA00B6015C}

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:DBDB92C2-0E07-47A3-80AB-09CB0D234039@microsoft.com,
    Vynene <Vynene@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Thanx for trying, but I already "been there, done that." Didn't
    > work. Maybe if I could just install the file like it suggests....?
    ----------------------
    > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
    >
    >> Error Message: Windows Cannot Execute DPVSetup.exe, Use Add/Remove
    >> Programs Control Panel to Install
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=282882&sd=RMVP
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> In news:D9903E39-BE6F-4A36-826F-FD1C15BDF89D@microsoft.com,
    >> Ira8A <Ira8A@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    >>> When I go to test the hardware in the VOICE RECORDING section of
    >>> SOUNDS & AUDIO DEVISES, I get an Error Code 0x 80004005:
    >>> “occurred during DirectPlay Voice Setup – We can not
    >>> execute Dpvsetup.exe,
    >>> use ADD/REMOVE PROGRAM CONTROL PANEL TO INSTALL.� I
    >>> can’t find that file anywhere for installing, including in
    >>> the Installation Disc.
    >>>
    >>> Any suggestions? Thanx in advance.

    Pardon my incompetence: I could not find C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache
    or C:\WINDOWS\RegisteredPackages\{44BBA855-CC51-11CF-AAFA-00AA00B6015C} in
    the Windows search of my hard drive (although I did find C:\WINDOWS\system32)
    , nor could I find those specific files in the Microsoft Support or Download
    sections of their website.
    Thanx for trying; please keep it up.

    "Wesley Vogel" wrote:

    > C:\WINDOWS\system32
    > C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache
    > C:\WINDOWS\RegisteredPackages\{44BBA855-CC51-11CF-AAFA-00AA00B6015C}
    >

    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:DBDB92C2-0E07-47A3-80AB-09CB0D234039@microsoft.com,
    > Vynene <Vynene@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > > Thanx for trying, but I already "been there, done that." Didn't
    > > work. Maybe if I could just install the file like it suggests....?
    > ----------------------
    > > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Error Message: Windows Cannot Execute DPVSetup.exe, Use Add/Remove
    > >> Programs Control Panel to Install
    > >> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=282882&sd=RMVP
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    > >>
    > >> Wes
    > >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    > >>
    > >> In news:D9903E39-BE6F-4A36-826F-FD1C15BDF89D@microsoft.com,
    > >> Ira8A <Ira8A@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:

    How to Determine the Version of DirectX Using the DirectX Diagnostic Tool

    How to Download and Install DirectX
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;179113

    Download details: DirectX 9.0c End-User Runtime
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=0a9b6820-bfbb-4799-9908-d418cdeac197&DisplayLang=en

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:6D320CD0-02AD-4CEA-A354-85F3A0B28D67@microsoft.com,
    Vynene <Vynene@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Pardon my incompetence: I could not find C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache
    > or
    > C:\WINDOWS\RegisteredPackages\{44BBA855-CC51-11CF-AAFA-00AA00B6015C}
    > in the Windows search of my hard drive (although I did find
    > C:\WINDOWS\system32) , nor could I find those specific files in the
    > Microsoft Support or Download sections of their website.
    > Thanx for trying; please keep it up.

    --------------------
    > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
    >
    >> C:\WINDOWS\system32
    >> C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache
    >> C:\WINDOWS\RegisteredPackages\{44BBA855-CC51-11CF-AAFA-00AA00B6015C}
    >>

    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> In news:DBDB92C2-0E07-47A3-80AB-09CB0D234039@microsoft.com,
    >> Vynene <Vynene@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    >>> Thanx for trying, but I already "been there, done that." Didn't
    >>> work. Maybe if I could just install the file like it suggests....?

    I just made an important discovery: In DEVISE MANAGER, there is a yellow “?�
    next to MULTIMEDIA AUDIO CONTROLLER and also PCI INPUT DEVICE. PROPERTIES
    for both shows drivers are not installed (Code 28). RESOURCES showed “Not
    using any because it has a problem. PCI Bus is 0 & 2 respectively, Device 31
    & 4, and Function 5 & 1.

    Should I click on REINSTALL DRIVERS?

    "Wesley Vogel" wrote:

    > Error Message: Windows Cannot Execute DPVSetup.exe, Use Add/Remove Programs
    > Control Panel to Install
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=282882&sd=RMVP
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:D9903E39-BE6F-4A36-826F-FD1C15BDF89D@microsoft.com,
    > Ira8A <Ira8A@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > > When I go to test the hardware in the VOICE RECORDING section of
    > > SOUNDS & AUDIO DEVISES, I get an Error Code 0x 80004005: “occurred
    > > during DirectPlay Voice Setup – We can not execute Dpvsetup.exe,
    > > use ADD/REMOVE PROGRAM CONTROL PANEL TO INSTALL.� I can’t find
    > > that file anywhere for installing, including in the Installation Disc.
    > >
    > > Any suggestions? Thanx in advance.

    Yes.

    Code 28
    The drivers for this device are not installed (Code 28).

    To reinstall the drivers for this device, click Reinstall Driver

    Solution: Reinstall Driver

    This code means the device was not installed.

    To resolve this issue, follow the recommended solution. If that does not
    work, remove the device with Device Manager, and then use the Add New
    Hardware wizard to redetect it. You may have to obtain updated drivers
    if the error still occurs.]]

    See this...
    HOW TO: Manage Devices in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/283658/

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:051BB6A2-417E-4F03-A657-1C9AE5464B0B@microsoft.com,
    Vynene <Vynene@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > I just made an important discovery: In DEVISE MANAGER, there is a
    > yellow “?� next to MULTIMEDIA AUDIO CONTROLLER and also PCI INPUT
    > DEVICE. PROPERTIES
    > for both shows drivers are not installed (Code 28). RESOURCES showed
    > “Not using any because it has a problem. PCI Bus is 0 & 2
    > respectively, Device 31 & 4, and Function 5 & 1.
    >
    > Should I click on REINSTALL DRIVERS?
    ------------------------

    > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
    >
    >> Error Message: Windows Cannot Execute DPVSetup.exe, Use Add/Remove
    >> Programs Control Panel to Install
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=282882&sd=RMVP
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> In news:D9903E39-BE6F-4A36-826F-FD1C15BDF89D@microsoft.com,
    >> Ira8A <Ira8A@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    >>> When I go to test the hardware in the VOICE RECORDING section of
    >>> SOUNDS & AUDIO DEVISES, I get an Error Code 0x 80004005:
    >>> “occurred during DirectPlay Voice Setup – We can not
    >>> execute Dpvsetup.exe,
    >>> use ADD/REMOVE PROGRAM CONTROL PANEL TO INSTALL.� I
    >>> can’t find that file anywhere for installing, including in
    >>> the Installation Disc.
    >>>
    >>> Any suggestions? Thanx in advance.

    I installed the missing Audigy audio drivers and downloaded (from the
    internet) the dpvsetup.exe file, which is now in my hard drive, but the
    Hardware Tester still does not work. Device Manager still says that
    Multimedia Audio Controller does not exist. I tried installing that from my
    XP-Pro Installation Disc, but that Multimedia Audio Controller driver could
    not be found on the disc! Please, what to do?
    "Wesley Vogel" wrote:

    > Yes.
    >
    > Code 28
    > The drivers for this device are not installed (Code 28).
    >
    > To reinstall the drivers for this device, click Reinstall Driver
    >

    > Solution: Reinstall Driver
    >
    > This code means the device was not installed.
    >
    > To resolve this issue, follow the recommended solution. If that does not
    > work, remove the device with Device Manager, and then use the Add New
    > Hardware wizard to redetect it. You may have to obtain updated drivers
    > if the error still occurs.]]
    >
    > See this...
    > HOW TO: Manage Devices in Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/283658/
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    The Belarc Advisor builds a detailed profile of your installed software
    and hardware, including Microsoft Hotfixes, and displays the results in
    your Web browser.

    Download the Belarc Advisor. See what it has to say about Multimedia
    Audio Controller. Then go to the manufacturer's website and get the
    latest drivers.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:2C5E9976-F618-4297-9097-B53A4BB05BFB@microsoft.com,
    Vynene <Vynene@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > I installed the missing Audigy audio drivers and downloaded (from the
    > internet) the dpvsetup.exe file, which is now in my hard drive, but
    > the Hardware Tester still does not work. Device Manager still says
    > that Multimedia Audio Controller does not exist. I tried installing
    > that from my XP-Pro Installation Disc, but that Multimedia Audio
    > Controller driver could not be found on the disc! Please, what to do?
    -----------------------
    > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
    >
    >> Yes.
    >>
    >> Code 28
    >> The drivers for this device are not installed (Code 28).
    >>
    >> To reinstall the drivers for this device, click Reinstall Driver
    >>

    >> Solution: Reinstall Driver
    >>
    >> This code means the device was not installed.
    >>
    >> To resolve this issue, follow the recommended solution. If that does
    >> not work, remove the device with Device Manager, and then use the
    >> Add New Hardware wizard to redetect it. You may have to obtain
    >> updated drivers if the error still occurs.]]
    >>
    >> See this...
    >> HOW TO: Manage Devices in Windows XP
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/283658/
    >>
    >> --