Cannot connect to internet after upgrading from 98 to XP Pro

IPCONFIG issues an error and will not grab an IP addr. Ive tried direct from
my cable modem and through my router. Ive verified that the device is on.
Ive verified that the windows firewall is off.

Any thoughts?
3 answers Last reply
More about cannot connect internet upgrading

    "CmdrWorf" <CmdrWorf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >IPCONFIG issues an error and will not grab an IP addr. Ive tried direct from
    >my cable modem and through my router. Ive verified that the device is on.
    >Ive verified that the windows firewall is off.
    >
    >Any thoughts?

    Check your network card drivers. Try getting the latest update from
    the card manufacturer's website (motherboard manufacturer if it is
    integrated into the motherboard).

    Open Control Panel - Network Connections, right-click on the icon for
    your connection and select Status. What does that say on the Support
    tab?

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    Actually, I bought a new card even. I tried updating the drivers for the old
    card and it didn't matter, and I used a new card (with new drivers) to no
    avail either.

    "Ron Martell" wrote:

    > "CmdrWorf" <CmdrWorf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > >IPCONFIG issues an error and will not grab an IP addr. Ive tried direct from
    > >my cable modem and through my router. Ive verified that the device is on.
    > >Ive verified that the windows firewall is off.
    > >
    > >Any thoughts?
    >
    > Check your network card drivers. Try getting the latest update from
    > the card manufacturer's website (motherboard manufacturer if it is
    > integrated into the motherboard).
    >
    > Open Control Panel - Network Connections, right-click on the icon for
    > your connection and select Status. What does that say on the Support
    > tab?
    >
    > Good luck
    >

    > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    > --
    > Microsoft MVP
    > On-Line Help Computer Service
    > http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

    > http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    "CmdrWorf" <CmdrWorf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Actually, I bought a new card even. I tried updating the drivers for the old
    >card and it didn't matter, and I used a new card (with new drivers) to no
    >avail either.

    And what does the Network Connection - Status - Support window report?
    If you can provide us with some details, such as what i.p. address the
    connection is reporting or anything else then this may give us a clue
    as to what exactly has gone wrong.

    Or are there no items in the Network Connections folder?

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP