IFFHS Century Players

The World's best Player of the Centvry
Welt-Fvssballer des Jahrhvnderts
El Mejor Jvgador Mvndial del Siglo
Meillevr Jovevr Mondial dv Siècle
by IFFHS

points
1. Edson Arantes do Nascimento Pelé Brasil 1705
2. Hendrik Johannes Crvijff Nederland 1303
3. Franz Beckenbaver Devtschland 1228
4. Alfredo Di Stéfano Argentina/España 1215
5. Diego Armando Maradona Argentina 1214
6. Ferenc Pvskás Magyarország 810
7. Michel Platini France 722
8. Manoel dos Santos Garrincha Brasil 624
9. Evsébio Ferreira da Silva Portvgal 544
10. Sir Robert Charlton England 508
11. Sir Stanley Matthews England 368
12. Marcel van Basten Nederland 315
13. Gerhard Müller Devtschland 265
14. Arthvr Antvnes Coimbra Zico Brasil 207
15. Lothar Matthävs Devtschland 202
16. George Best Northern Ireland 187
17. Jvan Alberto Schiaffino Urvgvay 158
18. Rvvd Gvllit Dil Nederland 119
19. Giovanni Rivera Italia 116
Valdir Pereira Didi Brasil 116
21. Givseppe Meazza Italia 108
22. Matthias Sindelar Österreich 106
23. Fritz Walter Devtschland 103
24. Robert Moore England 98
25. José Manvel Moreno Argentina 96
26. Hvgo Sánchez México 85
27. George Weah Liberia 79
28. Roger Milla Camerovn 78
29. José Leandro Andrade Urvgvay 74
30. Francisco Gento España 73
Jvst Fontaine France 73
32. Ladislao Kvbala España 71
33. Franco Baresi Italia 70
34. Josef Bican Ceskoslovensko 63
35. Karl-Heinz Rvmmenigge Devtschland 59
36. Enriqve Omar Sivori Argentina 56
37. Elías Ricardo Figveroa Chile 55
38. Kevin Keegan England 53
39. Sándor Kocsis Magyarország 52
40. Héctor Scarone Urvgvay 51
41. Josef Masopvst Ceskoslovensko 46
42. Giacinto Facchetti Italia 44
43. Alessandro Mazzola Italia 41
Raymond Kopa France 41
45. Uwe Seeler Devtschland 40
46. Gvnnar Nordahl Sverige 36
47. Thomas Soãres Zizinho Brasil 35
48. Teófilo Cvbillas Perú 34
49. Arsenio Pastor Erico Paragvay 30
50. Denis Law Scotland 29
51. Silvio Piola Italia 28
52. Adolfo Pedernera Argentina 27
53. Obdvlio Jacinto Varela Urvgvay 24
54. Arthvr Friedenreich Brasil 23
55. Michael Lavdrvp Danmark 22
56. Alberto Spencer Ecvador 21
József Bozsik Magyarország 21
58. Edvardo Gonçalves de Andrade Tostão Brasil 19
59. Ernst Ocwirk Österreich 18
60. Bvm-Kvn Cha Korea (S) 11
Pavl van Himst Belgiqve 11
62. Lakhdar Bellovmi Algérie 10
Rabah Madjer Algérie 10
64. Abdvllah Majed Savdi Arabia 9
Lvis Alberto Cvbilla Urvgvay 9
Oleg Blokhin Soviet Union 9

--
The Brazilian Man

The Brazilian Man wrote:
> The World's best Player of the Century
> Welt-Fussballer des Jahrhunderts
> El Mejor Jugador Mundial del Siglo
> Meilleur Joueur Mondial du Siècle
> by IFFHS

<snip list>

Strangely no mention of John Charles - or have I missed him?

--

I've often wanted to drown my troubles, but I can't get my girlfriend to
go swimming.

Em Thu, 30 Dec 2004 12:38:09 +0000, Toby Briggs <toby.briggs@gmail.com>
escreveu:

> The Brazilian Man wrote:
>> The World's best Player of the Century
>> Welt-Fussballer des Jahrhunderts
>> El Mejor Jugador Mundial del Siglo
>> Meilleur Joueur Mondial du Siècle by IFFHS
> <snip list>
>
> Strangely no mention of John Charles - or have I missed him?

as I never heard about him, have no clue.
(btw have deleted the msg, so cannot check it for you) :)

--
The Brazilian Man

http://www.ifhof.com/hof/charles.asp
http://football.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,9753,1153433,00.html

--

Em Thu, 30 Dec 2004 12:47:19 +0000, Toby Briggs <toby.briggs@gmail.com>
escreveu:

> The Brazilian Man wrote:
>> Em Thu, 30 Dec 2004 12:38:09 +0000, Toby Briggs
>> <toby.briggs@gmail.com> escreveu:

>>> <snip list>
>>>
>>> Strangely no mention of John Charles - or have I missed him?
>>>
>> as I never heard about him, have no clue.
>> (btw have deleted the msg, so cannot check it for you) :)
>>

> http://www.ifhof.com/hof/charles.asp
> http://football.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,9753,1153433,00.html

it seems he deserved an honourable place on the list

--
The Brazilian Man

"The Brazilian Man" <edvNOSPAMligvori@yahoo.com.br> schreef in bericht
> The World's best Player of the Centvry
> Welt-Fvssballer des Jahrhvnderts
> El Mejor Jvgador Mvndial del Siglo
> Meillevr Jovevr Mondial dv Siècle by IFFHS
>
> points 1. Edson Arantes do Nascimento Pelé Brasil 1705 2. Hendrik Johannes
> Crvijff Nederland 1303 3. Franz Beckenbaver Devtschland 1228 4. Alfredo Di
> Stéfano Argentina/España 1215 5. Diego Armando Maradona Argentina 1214

Maradona is too high placed... And - even as a dvtch - I seriovsly can't
believe Crvijff is rated higher than Kaiser Franz...Not with the things we
know now abovt bothplayers (eg. Crvijff as a drinking bigamist in 74 AND
staying home in 78 AND refvsing to take vp the glove as National Manager...
Beckenbaver acting as player-manager in 74 AND winning as National
Manager...

Di Stefano shovld also be above Crvijff

Hari Seldon wrote:
> "The Brazilian Man" <eduNOSPAMliguori@yahoo.com.br> schreef in bericht
>
>>The World's best Player of the Century
>>Welt-Fussballer des Jahrhunderts
>>El Mejor Jugador Mundial del Siglo
>>Meilleur Joueur Mondial du Siècle by IFFHS
>>
>>points 1. Edson Arantes do Nascimento Pelé Brasil 1705 2. Hendrik Johannes
>>Cruijff Nederland 1303 3. Franz Beckenbauer Deutschland 1228 4. Alfredo Di
>>Stéfano Argentina/España 1215 5. Diego Armando Maradona Argentina 1214
>

> Maradona is too high placed... And - even as a dutch - I seriously can't
> believe Cruijff is rated higher than Kaiser Franz...Not with the things we
> know now about bothplayers (eg. Cruijff as a drinking bigamist in 74 AND
> staying home in 78 AND refusing to take up the glove as National Manager...
> Beckenbauer acting as player-manager in 74 AND winning as National
> Manager...
>
> Di Stefano should also be above Cruijff

WTF are you using? It's a list of best *Players*, not best Managers or
best Husbands. Cruyff should be above Herr Beckenbauer, no doubt about
it. And your Dutch for crying out loud. I'll have to report you now.

And what about Maradona too high placed? You should really, I mean
really, watch the video of Mexico '86 instead of playing DOS-games ;-)

Martijn.

<snipped>

> > Maradona is too high placed...

There are not too many in here old enough to have seen the legend play (and
no USA '94 doesn't really count) but those that have know that there is only
one player who towers above all others below him including Pele.

The Brazilian Man wrote:
> Em Thu, 30 Dec 2004 12:47:19 +0000, Toby Briggs
> <toby.briggs@gmail.com> escreveu:
>
>> The Brazilian Man wrote:

>>> as I never heard about him, have no clue.
>>> (btw have deleted the msg, so cannot check it for you) :)
>>>

>> http://www.ifhof.com/hof/charles.asp
>> http://football.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,9753,1153433,00.html
>>

> it seems he deserved an honourable place on the list

Is this just on reputation, or people have actually watched him play?

--
----------- Daniel -----------

-------------- FORZA ARSENAL --------------

"Martijn" <mrpauw__nospamplease@thankyou__cistron.nl> schreef in bericht
> Hari Seldon wrote:
>> "The Brazilian Man" <eduNOSPAMliguori@yahoo.com.br> schreef in bericht
>>
>>>The World's best Player of the Century
>>>Welt-Fussballer des Jahrhunderts
>>>El Mejor Jugador Mundial del Siglo
>>>Meilleur Joueur Mondial du Siècle by IFFHS
>>>
>>>points 1. Edson Arantes do Nascimento Pelé Brasil 1705 2. Hendrik
>>>Johannes Cruijff Nederland 1303 3. Franz Beckenbauer Deutschland 1228 4.
>>>Alfredo Di Stéfano Argentina/España 1215 5. Diego Armando Maradona
>>>Argentina 1214
>>

>> Maradona is too high placed... And - even as a dutch - I seriously can't
>> believe Cruijff is rated higher than Kaiser Franz...Not with the things
>> we know now about bothplayers (eg. Cruijff as a drinking bigamist in 74
>> AND staying home in 78 AND refusing to take up the glove as National
>> Manager... Beckenbauer acting as player-manager in 74 AND winning as
>> National Manager...
>>
>> Di Stefano should also be above Cruijff
>
> WTF are you using? It's a list of best *Players*, not best Managers or
> best Husbands. Cruyff should be above Herr Beckenbauer, no doubt about it.
> And your Dutch for crying out loud. I'll have to report you now.
>
> And what about Maradona too high placed? You should really, I mean really,
> watch the video of Mexico '86 instead of playing DOS-games ;-)
>
> Martijn.

Hear now buddy, how long are you posting 'ere and how long are you playing
CM, eh?
You not agreeing with me proves you're knowledge of football. Ask Edu where
Garrinchea (hello microfone) is on the list?
Now go back and clean Fil's boots ;-)

DOS-games rocks! Just installed good ol' Budokan

Hari Seldon wrote:
> "Martijn" <mrpauw__nospamplease@thankyou__cistron.nl> schreef in bericht
>
>>Hari Seldon wrote:
>>
>>>"The Brazilian Man" <eduNOSPAMliguori@yahoo.com.br> schreef in bericht

>>>Maradona is too high placed... And - even as a dutch - I seriously can't
>>>believe Cruijff is rated higher than Kaiser Franz...Not with the things
>>>we know now about bothplayers (eg. Cruijff as a drinking bigamist in 74
>>>AND staying home in 78 AND refusing to take up the glove as National
>>>Manager... Beckenbauer acting as player-manager in 74 AND winning as
>>>National Manager...
>>>
>>>Di Stefano should also be above Cruijff
>>
>>WTF are you using? It's a list of best *Players*, not best Managers or
>>best Husbands. Cruyff should be above Herr Beckenbauer, no doubt about it.
>>And your Dutch for crying out loud. I'll have to report you now.
>>
>>And what about Maradona too high placed? You should really, I mean really,
>>watch the video of Mexico '86 instead of playing DOS-games ;-)
>>
>>Martijn.
>

> Hear now buddy, how long are you posting 'ere and how long are you playing
> CM, eh?
> You not agreeing with me proves you're knowledge of football. Ask Edu where
> Garrinchea (hello microfone) is on the list?
> Now go back and clean Fil's boots ;-)
>
> DOS-games rocks! Just installed good ol' Budokan

LOL. You have posted a *lot* more in here than I have, so you must be
right. I forgot this rule and I apologize. Is there a list out there
somewhere, so I can check to which people I actually can reply? :)

I've been reading this group almost on a daily basis since ... eh... I
actually can't remember the exact year. I can only recall names like
Baggers, Mackem, Chris The Cow Killer, Mr.T and of course Fil. And I've
been playing CM2, CM3, CM97/98, CM99/01 and CM01/02. Currently I have a
Wrexham game in CM01/02. I play *REALLY* slow, so I'm was in my 4th
season when CM03/04 came out and in my 6th season when FM5 was released.
Damn those publishers, I can't keep up with all those versions ;-)

Martijn.

*****General wrote:
> <snipped>
>
>>> Maradona is too high placed...
>
> There are not too many in here old enough to have seen the legend
> play (and no USA '94 doesn't really count) but those that have know
> that there is only one player who towers above all others below him
> including Pele.

Erm, what are you trying to say here? It doesn't make sense to me.

> Hari Seldon wrote:
>> "Martijn" <mrpauw__nospamplease@thankyou__cistron.nl> schreef in bericht

>>>WTF are you using? It's a list of best *Players*, not best Managers or
>>>best Husbands. Cruyff should be above Herr Beckenbauer, no doubt about
>>>it. And your Dutch for crying out loud. I'll have to report you now.
>>>
>>>And what about Maradona too high placed? You should really, I mean
>>>really, watch the video of Mexico '86 instead of playing DOS-games ;-)
>>>
>>>Martijn.
>>

>> Hear now buddy, how long are you posting 'ere and how long are you
>> playing CM, eh?
>> You not agreeing with me proves you're knowledge of football. Ask Edu
>> where Garrinchea (hello microfone) is on the list?
>> Now go back and clean Fil's boots ;-)
>>
>> DOS-games rocks! Just installed good ol' Budokan
>
> LOL. You have posted a *lot* more in here than I have, so you must be
> right. I forgot this rule and I apologize. Is there a list out there
> somewhere, so I can check to which people I actually can reply? :)
>
> I've been reading this group almost on a daily basis since ... eh... I
> actually can't remember the exact year. I can only recall names like
> Baggers, Mackem, Chris The Cow Killer, Mr.T and of course Fil. And I've
> been playing CM2, CM3, CM97/98, CM99/01 and CM01/02. Currently I have a
> Wrexham game in CM01/02. I play *REALLY* slow, so I'm was in my 4th season
> when CM03/04 came out and in my 6th season when FM5 was released. Damn
> those publishers, I can't keep up with all those versions ;-)
>
> Martijn.

Ha! You'd better be good boy. Find yourself an Amiga on Ebay and install CM1
on it, then think again on slow playing ;-)

If that fails.. try this *dos*-link :D

http://gamebird.dk/games/community2.php/?gid=174

Daniel Marsh wrote:
> The Brazilian Man wrote:
>
>>Em Thu, 30 Dec 2004 12:47:19 +0000, Toby Briggs
>><toby.briggs@gmail.com> escreveu:

>>>http://www.ifhof.com/hof/charles.asp
>>>http://football.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,9753,1153433,00.html
>>>

>>it seems he deserved an honourable place on the list
>

> Is this just on reputation, or people have actually watched him play?

Good question - so more than likely people seen them play. I saw a
TransWorld Sport documentary on John Charles - and he looked bloody good.

--

Martijn wrote:
> Hari Seldon wrote:
>
>> "Martijn" <mrpauw__nospamplease@thankyou__cistron.nl> schreef in
>> bericht news:cr17su$4v5$1@news.cistron.nl...

>>> WTF are you using? It's a list of best *Players*, not best Managers
>>> or best Husbands. Cruyff should be above Herr Beckenbauer, no doubt
>>> about it. And your Dutch for crying out loud. I'll have to report you
>>> now.
>>>
>>> And what about Maradona too high placed? You should really, I mean
>>> really, watch the video of Mexico '86 instead of playing DOS-games ;-)
>>>
>>> Martijn.
>>

>> Hear now buddy, how long are you posting 'ere and how long are you
>> playing CM, eh?
>> You not agreeing with me proves you're knowledge of football. Ask Edu
>> where Garrinchea (hello microfone) is on the list?
>> Now go back and clean Fil's boots ;-)
>>
>> DOS-games rocks! Just installed good ol' Budokan
>

> LOL. You have posted a *lot* more in here than I have, so you must be
> right. I forgot this rule and I apologize. Is there a list out there
> somewhere, so I can check to which people I actually can reply? :)
>
> I've been reading this group almost on a daily basis since ... eh... I
> actually can't remember the exact year. I can only recall names like
> Baggers, Mackem, Chris The Cow Killer, Mr.T and of course Fil. And I've
> been playing CM2, CM3, CM97/98, CM99/01 and CM01/02. Currently I have a
> Wrexham game in CM01/02. I play *REALLY* slow, so I'm was in my 4th
> season when CM03/04 came out and in my 6th season when FM5 was released.
> Damn those publishers, I can't keep up with all those versions ;-)
>
> Martijn.

Mr T is alive and well and is currently vegging out on mIRC - #agcm

Actually - he's doing lots of assignments for his Key Stage 3!

--

Toby Briggs wrote:

> Mr T is alive and well and is currently vegging out on mIRC - #agcm
>
> Actually - he's doing lots of assignments for his Key Stage 3!

Any sign of mackem anywhere?

--
Miljenko [milcrnko at inet dot hr]

np: Pretty Girls Make Graves - Something Bigger, Something Brighter

Toby Briggs wrote:
> Daniel Marsh wrote:
>> The Brazilian Man wrote:

>>> it seems he deserved an honourable place on the list
>>

>> Is this just on reputation, or people have actually watched him play?
>>

> Good question - so more than likely people seen them play. I saw a
> TransWorld Sport documentary on John Charles - and he looked bloody
> good.

Ok, his rep is first class but thats the thing with 'greats' most people
would have never really watched alot of them, just on highlights etc, thats
the one reason why I can never rate Pele as a player, simply as I've never
really seen him play.

--
----------- Daniel -----------

-------------- FORZA ARSENAL --------------

Em Thu, 30 Dec 2004 20:41:13 +0000 (UTC), Daniel Marsh
<danmaruk@NOSPAMbtopenworld.com> escreveu:

> The Brazilian Man wrote:
>> Em Thu, 30 Dec 2004 12:47:19 +0000, Toby Briggs
>> <toby.briggs@gmail.com> escreveu:

>>> http://www.ifhof.com/hof/charles.asp
>>> http://football.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,9753,1153433,00.html
>>>

>> it seems he deserved an honourable place on the list
>
> Is this just on reputation, or people have actually watched him play?

i'.m not so old dude! :)

--
The Brazilian Man

Em Thu, 30 Dec 2004 21:09:20 GMT, Hari Seldon <Roel.Pieper@hetnet.nl>
escreveu:

> "Martijn" <mrpauw__nospamplease@thankyou__cistron.nl> schreef in bericht
>> Hari Seldon wrote:
>>> "The Brazilian Man" <eduNOSPAMliguori@yahoo.com.br> schreef in bericht

>>> Maradona is too high placed... And - even as a dutch - I seriously
>>> can't
>>> believe Cruijff is rated higher than Kaiser Franz...Not with the things
>>> we know now about bothplayers (eg. Cruijff as a drinking bigamist in
>>> 74
>>> AND staying home in 78 AND refusing to take up the glove as National
>>> Manager... Beckenbauer acting as player-manager in 74 AND winning as
>>> National Manager...
>>>
>>> Di Stefano should also be above Cruijff
>>
>> WTF are you using? It's a list of best *Players*, not best Managers or
>> best Husbands. Cruyff should be above Herr Beckenbauer, no doubt about
>> it.
>> And your Dutch for crying out loud. I'll have to report you now.
>>
>> And what about Maradona too high placed? You should really, I mean
>> really,
>> watch the video of Mexico '86 instead of playing DOS-games ;-)
>>
>> Martijn.
>
> Hear now buddy, how long are you posting 'ere and how long are you
> playing
> CM, eh?
> You not agreeing with me proves you're knowledge of football. Ask Edu
> where
> Garrinchea (hello microfone) is on the list?
> Now go back and clean Fil's boots ;-)
>
> DOS-games rocks! Just installed good ol' Budokan

We brazilians have some anti-argentinian viruses, so obviously Garrincha
should be second on list. :)

Generaly we have young people on AGCM, what push you against
Pele/Garrincha, but history can't change and both achieved more than
Maradona with great distance.

--
The Brazilian Man

Em Fri, 31 Dec 2004 00:55:03 -0000, Marc Robbins
<marc@ITHINKTHISMEANSNOSPAMrobbins46.freeserve.co.uk> escreveu:

> *****General wrote:
>> <snipped>

>> There are not too many in here old enough to have seen the legend
>> play (and no USA '94 doesn't really count) but those that have know
>> that there is only one player who towers above all others below him
>> including Pele.
>
> Erm, what are you trying to say here? It doesn't make sense to me.

agree with you that we can't tower below :)

--
The Brazilian Man

Em Fri, 31 Dec 2004 23:25:24 +0000 (UTC), Daniel Marsh
<danmaruk@NOSPAMbtopenworld.com> escreveu:

> Toby Briggs wrote:
>> Daniel Marsh wrote:

>>> Is this just on reputation, or people have actually watched him play?
>>>

>> Good question - so more than likely people seen them play. I saw a
>> TransWorld Sport documentary on John Charles - and he looked bloody
>> good.
>
> Ok, his rep is first class but thats the thing with 'greats' most people
> would have never really watched alot of them, just on highlights etc,
> thats
> the one reason why I can never rate Pele as a player, simply as I've
> never
> really seen him play.

we have miles long films about Pele here, very well documented, just
search it if you care

--
The Brazilian Man

Miljenko wrote:
> Toby Briggs wrote:
>

>>Mr T is alive and well and is currently vegging out on mIRC - #agcm
>>
>>Actually - he's doing lots of assignments for his Key Stage 3!
>

> Any sign of mackem anywhere?

Haven't seen him in years!!

--

I've often wanted to drown my troubles, but I can't get my girlfriend to
go swimming.

> We brazilians have some anti-argentinian viruses, so obviously
> Garrincha should be second on list. :)
>
> Generaly we have young people on AGCM, what push you against
> Pele/Garrincha, but history can't change and both achieved more than
> Maradona with great distance.

I'm young, but would never pick Maradona ahead of Pele.

The Brazilian Man wrote:
> Em Fri, 31 Dec 2004 23:25:24 +0000 (UTC), Daniel Marsh
> <danmaruk@NOSPAMbtopenworld.com> escreveu:
>
>> Toby Briggs wrote:

>>> Good question - so more than likely people seen them play. I saw a
>>> TransWorld Sport documentary on John Charles - and he looked bloody
>>> good.
>>
>> Ok, his rep is first class but thats the thing with 'greats' most
>> people would have never really watched alot of them, just on
>> highlights etc, thats
>> the one reason why I can never rate Pele as a player, simply as I've
>> never
>> really seen him play.
>>

> we have miles long films about Pele here, very well documented, just
> search it if you care

Whole matches?

--
----------- Daniel -----------

-------------- FORZA ARSENAL --------------

Em Mon, 3 Jan 2005 18:32:49 +0000 (UTC), Daniel Marsh
<danmaruk@NOSPAMbtopenworld.com> escreveu:

> The Brazilian Man wrote:
>> Em Fri, 31 Dec 2004 23:25:24 +0000 (UTC), Daniel Marsh
>> <danmaruk@NOSPAMbtopenworld.com> escreveu:

>>> Ok, his rep is first class but thats the thing with 'greats' most
>>> people would have never really watched alot of them, just on
>>> highlights etc, thats
>>> the one reason why I can never rate Pele as a player, simply as I've
>>> never
>>> really seen him play.
>>>

>> we have miles long films about Pele here, very well documented, just
>> search it if you care
>
> Whole matches?

yep, Pele played until 1973, we have TV footie broadcasted since the
sixties

--
The Brazilian Man