Media Center 8400??

Anyone bought one yet? If so, whatchathink? My 8100's getting a little
antiquated so I've been eyeballing the Dell and the HP media centers.)

"Jack Carter" <jcarter10@comcast.net> wrote in message
| Anyone bought one yet? If so, whatchathink? My 8100's getting a little
| antiquated so I've been eyeballing the Dell and the HP media centers.)

Yes. I got mine 03-JAN-2005.

So far it's been a peach. It's quieter than My previous DIM 8200 (which is
pretty quiet) and as one would expect is a good deal faster at tasks like
video en/transcoding editing etc... Looks great on the Ultrasharp 1900FP. (I
handed down my DIM8200 to my Wife along with the 173FP that came with the
8400) Surround sound from the Sound Blaster® Live! 24-bit is crisper than
what came from the Santa Cruz card on the DIM8200.

It has no built in Media Card slots like some of the other OEM MCE
computers. I already had readers for most card types so it was not an issue
for me but something to consider.

I haven't had a crash or lockup of any sort yet I have installed and used
most of my usual applications.

I'm happily watching and recording my shows (at the same time :) and putting
them on DVD minus the commercials. (for which BTW I'm using Nero 6 which
works a good deal faster than the included Sonic programs)

I would say that if your primary goal is the "Tivo like" aspects of MCE
you'll be disappointed. In that respect MCE isn't (IMO) ready for prime time
and you'd be better off investing in a Tivo or some other "set top" PVR. The
recorded shows are in a Microsoft specific format, *.dvr-ms, (try to contain
your shock) that so far only a few video editing programs can handle. They
have to be transcoded and burned to DVD manually with third party software.
While that's not an issue for most here anyone that has to ask "what's a
file extension?" would have some learning to do.

As a general purpose computer capable of some fairly advanced video handling
I'm very pleased. Dell did omit the "Drivers and Utilities" disc from my
original shipment. I emailed them and had the disc in hand in 5 business
days.

If there's some particular aspect you're interested in I didn't cover please
post back.

Memory 1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 400MHz (2x512M)
Monitor 17 in E173FP Flat Panel Display
Video Card 128MB PCI ExpressT x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) ATI RadeonT X300 SE
Hard Drive 160GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/ Native Command Queuing
Operating System Microsoft® Windows® XP Media Center 2005 Edition
Network Interface Integrated Gigabit Ethernet
Modem 56K PCI Data/Fax Modem
CD ROM/DVD ROM Dual Drives: 16x DVD + 16x DVD+/-RW w/dbl layer write
Sound Card Sound Blaster® Live! 24-bit ADVANCED HDT Audio
Speakers Dell 5650 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker System with Subwoofer

I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
I was just trying to help.
advice herein.
No warranty is expressed or implied.
Your mileage may vary.
See store for details. :)

Remove shoes to E-mail.

Just about what I expected. Can I assume that your recorded DVD shows look
similar to standard VHS tapes on playback thru your TV set? (I'd be
pleasantly surprised if they looked any better!) Also, do you know what
motherboard and chipset it's got? I figured it might have Intel's built-in
High Definition audio. Probably doesn't have any front audio jacks, does it?
I'm having a hard time choosing between the Dell and an HP 1050y which has
some amenities that are apparently missing on the Dell. But my old Dell has
been chugging along trouble-free since I got it, despite all of its
propriatary parts. So I'm leaning toward the 8400.

"HillBillyBuddhist" <hillbillybuddhistshoes@gmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>
> If there's some particular aspect you're interested in I didn't cover
> please
> post back.
>

> Memory 1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 400MHz (2x512M)
> Monitor 17 in E173FP Flat Panel Display
> Video Card 128MB PCI ExpressT x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) ATI RadeonT X300 SE
> Hard Drive 160GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/ Native Command Queuing
> Operating System Microsoft® Windows® XP Media Center 2005 Edition
> Network Interface Integrated Gigabit Ethernet
> Modem 56K PCI Data/Fax Modem
> CD ROM/DVD ROM Dual Drives: 16x DVD + 16x DVD+/-RW w/dbl layer write
> Sound Card Sound Blaster® Live! 24-bit ADVANCED HDT Audio
> Speakers Dell 5650 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker System with Subwoofer

> I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
> I was just trying to help.
> Please use your own best judgment before implementing any suggestions or

Let me throw in another suggestion.

I have the Hauppauge card (both the PVR-250 and TV PVR USB2) and I run them
with Snapstream (www.snapstream.com) using their Firefly remote.

The quality is outstanding and you can burn the DVD directly from the
application (It's a bone stock MPG). Any computer with DVD Player software
can play the files. It will also compress the files to smaller WMV files in
the background (great for my portable player).

Programming couldn't be easier -- pick the show from the guide, choose ALL,
NEW EPISODES or ONE TIME. No monthly fees.

The output on my TV (S-VHS) from my video card is very good. Output to my
projector at full VGA is stunning.

Tom
> [...]
>> please
>> post back.
>>

>> Memory 1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 400MHz (2x512M)
>> Monitor 17 in E173FP Flat Panel Display
>> Video Card 128MB PCI ExpressT x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) ATI RadeonT X300 SE
>> Hard Drive 160GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/ Native Command
>> Queuing
>> Operating System Microsoft® Windows® XP Media Center 2005 Edition
>> Network Interface Integrated Gigabit Ethernet
>> Modem 56K PCI Data/Fax Modem
>> CD ROM/DVD ROM Dual Drives: 16x DVD + 16x DVD+/-RW w/dbl layer write
>> Sound Card Sound Blaster® Live! 24-bit ADVANCED HDT Audio
>> Speakers Dell 5650 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker System with Subwoofer
>>
>> --
>>
>> I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
>> I was just trying to help.
>> Please use your own best judgment before implementing any suggestions or

Hi Tom: Thanx for the encouragement. Just curious: what kind of projector
are you using? I've got a couple of rear-projection TVs (Hitachi Ultravision
and Toshiba). The Hitachi is going on 18 years old (gulp!) and has been
flawless. I'm considering a projector but haven't looked yet. I'm assuming
they're noisy and run hot. I have a friend who's been running a commercial
3-tube front projector Zenith for many years. And he's telling me that's the
only way to go. He's got his set up for a size of 12 feet diagonal !!

> [...]
> >> please
> >> post back.
> >>

> >> Memory 1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 400MHz (2x512M)
> >> Monitor 17 in E173FP Flat Panel Display
> >> Video Card 128MB PCI ExpressT x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) ATI RadeonT X300 SE
> >> Hard Drive 160GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/ Native Command
> >> Queuing
> >> Operating System Microsoft® Windows® XP Media Center 2005 Edition
> >> Network Interface Integrated Gigabit Ethernet
> >> Modem 56K PCI Data/Fax Modem
> >> CD ROM/DVD ROM Dual Drives: 16x DVD + 16x DVD+/-RW w/dbl layer write
> >> Sound Card Sound Blaster® Live! 24-bit ADVANCED HDT Audio
> >> Speakers Dell 5650 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker System with Subwoofer
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
> >> I was just trying to help.
> >> Please use your own best judgment before implementing any suggestions

I use the Dell 4100MP. It's 1024x768 and HDTV compatible. I run a 10 foot
diagnonal.

Honestly, it's good, not great. To get great, it's $5000-7000. The 4100MP
is under $1900, so I got a good value.

It does generate some heat and the darker the room the better.

Tom
> Hi Tom: Thanx for the encouragement. Just curious: what kind of projector
> are you using? I've got a couple of rear-projection TVs (Hitachi
> Ultravision
> and Toshiba). The Hitachi is going on 18 years old (gulp!) and has been
> flawless. I'm considering a projector but haven't looked yet. I'm assuming
> they're noisy and run hot. I have a friend who's been running a commercial
> 3-tube front projector Zenith for many years. And he's telling me that's
> the
> only way to go. He's got his set up for a size of 12 feet diagonal !!

>> Let me throw in another suggestion.
>>
>> I have the Hauppauge card (both the PVR-250 and TV PVR USB2) and I run
> them
>> with Snapstream (www.snapstream.com) using their Firefly remote.
>>
>> The quality is outstanding and you can burn the DVD directly from the
>> application (It's a bone stock MPG). Any computer with DVD Player
> software
>> can play the files. It will also compress the files to smaller WMV files
> in
>> the background (great for my portable player).
>>
>> Programming couldn't be easier -- pick the show from the guide, choose
> ALL,
>> NEW EPISODES or ONE TIME. No monthly fees.
>>
>> The output on my TV (S-VHS) from my video card is very good. Output to
>> my
>> projector at full VGA is stunning.
>>
>> Tom
>> "Jack Carter" <jcarter10@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> > Just about what I expected. Can I assume that your recorded DVD shows
> look
>> > similar to standard VHS tapes on playback thru your TV set? (I'd be
>> > pleasantly surprised if they looked any better!) Also, do you know what
>> > motherboard and chipset it's got? I figured it might have Intel's
> built-in
>> > High Definition audio. Probably doesn't have any front audio jacks,
>> > does
>> > it? I'm having a hard time choosing between the Dell and an HP 1050y
> which
>> > has some amenities that are apparently missing on the Dell. But my old
>> > Dell has been chugging along trouble-free since I got it, despite all
>> > of
>> > its propriatary parts. So I'm leaning toward the 8400.
>> >

>> > "HillBillyBuddhist" <hillbillybuddhistshoes@gmail.com> wrote in message
> little
> centers.)

> like
> 1900FP.
> the
> than

> used

> which

> PVR.

> my
> business

> or

Because I can record two channels at the same time!

Tom
<me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> >I have the Hauppauge card (both the PVR-250 and TV PVR USB2)
>
> Im curious why you have both units above?

ME

>Because I can record two channels at the same time!
>
>Tom
><me@privacy.net> wrote in message
>> >I have the Hauppauge card (both the PVR-250 and TV PVR USB2)
>>
>> Im curious why you have both units above?

Oh I see

But why not just use two PCI cards instead of the one
external USB unit?

Just curious

The software (Snapstream) works better with different input sources than
with identical cards. If I had it to do over, I'd do ALL USB tuners. Why
waste a PCI slot?

I actually have another USB2 tuner on a second machine.

Three channels!

> >Because I can record two channels at the same time!
>>
>>Tom
>><me@privacy.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Im curious why you have both units above?
>

> Oh I see
>
> But why not just use two PCI cards instead of the one
> external USB unit?
>
> Just curious

ME

>The software (Snapstream) works better with different input sources than
>with identical cards. If I had it to do over, I'd do ALL USB tuners. Why
>waste a PCI slot?
>
>I actually have another USB2 tuner on a second machine.
>
>Three channels!

Interesting!

You may convince me to go with the USB unit over the
pci version

Do you also use this USB unit on any laptops as well?
Or just use on desktop only?

> >The software (Snapstream) works better with different input sources than
>>with identical cards. If I had it to do over, I'd do ALL USB tuners. Why
>>waste a PCI slot?
>>
>>I actually have another USB2 tuner on a second machine.
>>
>>Three channels!
>
> Interesting!
>
> You may convince me to go with the USB unit over the
> pci version
>
> Do you also use this USB unit on any laptops as well?
> Or just use on desktop only?

Works fine on a laptop too, although preferably one with USB2 ports. I use
it with my IBM Thinkpad occasionally.

Tom