How to lower my AGP from 8X to 4X?

timlondon

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2003
Hello,

As posted at the Motherboard forum, I have a new computer with Asus P4P800 motherboard and Asus V9280 Geforce 4 TI 4200-8X. Unfortunately my P4P800 supports 1.5V AGP card only but my TI 4200 requires 3.3V. Moreover, I don't see any motherboard that supports both 3.3V AGP card and Hyper Threading technology (since I'm using a HT processor).

I want to know if lowering the AGP from 8X to 4X will solve the problem? Is AGP 4X requires only 1.5V? If so, how do I lower it?

Thanks,
Timmy

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Your card is 8x/4x/2x. Your board is 8x/4x. They are completely compatable.

8x is part of the AGP 3.0 standard, 0.8v
4x is part of the AGP 2.0 standard, 1.5v
2x is part of the AGP 1.0 standard, 3.3v

You don't see AGP2x boards, I wonder why? Could it be they're outdated? But yet your card is AGP2x compatable, simply so they can sell them to users of old motherboards.

Both parts are 1.5v and 0.8v compatable. Both detect this automatically. There is no compatability issue.

It's possible that you have a defective part. It's probably not the motherboard or CPU.

You can set AGP4x mode in BIOS last I checked. Maybe that's changed. You shouldn't need to.

BTW, I think I forgot to tell you, your assumptions are 100% wrong.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

timlondon

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2003
Thanks for reply. It's because my graphic card is receiving insufficient power supply, only 2.8/2.9V for the +3.3V. I think that's why when playing 3D games the screen will turn black. What should have cause the problem?

Thanks,
Timmy

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
That's not the signal voltage, that's the 3.3v line voltage. You've probably got a junk power supply.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

timlondon

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2003
So what should I do?
Please advise.

One more thing, will the insufficient power supply affect my games' performance? Because since I bought the computer I have been experiencing a lot of black-outs (which monitor loses its signal) during 3D games.

Thanks,
Timmy

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by timlondon on 12/03/03 05:44 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I'm fairly certain you've a bad power supply. If you need a solid, inexpensive power supply, I recommend <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduct.asp?description=17-104-966&depa=1" target="_new">This One</A> Unlike lower quality units, this one provides STABLE voltages beyond it's rated capacity. In fact, it's good to over 400W with stable voltages.

Unfortunately the price has recently increased to $45 from $36, probably due to a surge in demand (I wonder what caused that?). Even at $45 it's a good deal.

Starion15

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2003
lol, I was just about to order that one yesterday. . .then decided to wait a day. "Con Sarnit". O well, its only $4 more (was $35+6 shipping). The "Aurora Series" is only $10 more, does "anyone" (Crashman) no what the difference is?

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
"Free Shipping" isn't always free.

As a sales tool it works. Newegg's free shipping on some items is usually the hook that catches my business. That's despite my knowing the items were probably cheaper recently.

I just can't resist "free shipping" even if it ain't free in absolute terms.

<b>56K, slow and steady does not win the race on internet!</b>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
For $10 more you get an LED fan for zoomy looks.