Robert

My mother has been having computer woes and she just re-installed
Windows XP. I am creating a CD with all updated drivers for her
computer since she is still on dial-up. How do I describe to her how
to output a driver / component list? The list would help me download
the appropriate drivers. Unfortunately, her computer is a white box;
so manufacturer brand website is not available. The easiest solution
would not involve third party software since I would need to walk her
through this step too. Remember she is a basic computer user. My
Google search did not reveal the solution.

Hi Robert,

There are several driver utilities available at www.majorgeeks.com. BTW, to
list out the drivers installed in your system, use DriverQuery command.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"Robert" <robert_neville310@y@ho0.com> wrote in message
> My mother has been having computer woes and she just re-installed
> Windows XP. I am creating a CD with all updated drivers for her
> computer since she is still on dial-up. How do I describe to her how
> to output a driver / component list? The list would help me download
> the appropriate drivers. Unfortunately, her computer is a white box;
> so manufacturer brand website is not available. The easiest solution
> would not involve third party software since I would need to walk her
> through this step too. Remember she is a basic computer user. My
> Google search did not reveal the solution.

On the XP CD there is XP Support Tools. Install them and a undocumented one is pstat.

Type in start run after installing and rebooting

pstat > "%allusersprofile%\desktop\driverlist.txt"

The last table in this file is a list of loaded drivers. Other things apart from hardware uses drivers.

Or

Type msinfo32 in Start Run, look under Software Environment. File - Export can export a list.

In Device Manager there is a Print command on the toolbar.