networking with a router fails for one computer

I am currently trying to network a DELL laptop with an old pieced together
system, both are running XP and are connected to a Linksys router. The DELL
connects to the internet without a hitch. However the desktop shows
activity, but it's not receiving any data nor will it access the internet.
Everything is green lighted but nothing wants to go through. I'm also using
fairly new network cards as well, proper drivers installed as well.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

-Dave

You'd be better off consulting the Linksys support folks or posting to a
general networking newsgroup or forum, Dave. This newsgroup supports
Microsoft's Broadband Networking hardware and software, not networking in
general.
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC

"Daveee" <Daveee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am currently trying to network a DELL laptop with an old pieced together
> system, both are running XP and are connected to a Linksys router. The
> DELL
> connects to the internet without a hitch. However the desktop shows
> activity, but it's not receiving any data nor will it access the internet.
> Everything is green lighted but nothing wants to go through. I'm also
> using
> fairly new network cards as well, proper drivers installed as well.
>
> Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
>
> -Dave

I have tried using ipconfig /renew, to no avail. I receive an error message
saying "An error occurred while renewing interface Local Area Connection :
unable to contact your DHCP server." And looking at ipconfig just lists a
blank DNS Suffix, an autoconfig IP address stating a 169.254.xx.xxx number.
A 255.255.0.0 subnet mask and a blank default gateway.

This is why I am seeking guidance from the Microsoft forums.. unless there
is a more suited forum I can go to for help?

Thanks,
Dave

"Chris H." wrote:

> You'd be better off consulting the Linksys support folks or posting to a
> general networking newsgroup or forum, Dave. This newsgroup supports
> Microsoft's Broadband Networking hardware and software, not networking in
> general.
> --
> Chris H.
> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
> Associate Expert

Try microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web. They may be able to assist you.