Best cheap 2D card to pair with my Voodoo1?

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
No I'm not joking. I am rebuilding a legacy system (for fun) and am going to put my old Diamond Monster 3D (voodoo 1 for you whipper snappers) in it.
I 'think' I have an old S3 2D card laying around, but havent checked my PC graveyard (closet at my parents house) yet. I have that and an old GF2MX, a Voodoo 3 2000 also laying around.. but I've never considered using another 3D card as a pass through.

Any one know which of the good old 2D-only Matrox cards are named?
I want something that supports all the VESA modes in hardware. I remember having issues with Heroes of Might and Magic 1 on release due to no VESA support and had to run 3rd party emu (display doctor).

Sidenote- for those interested, the system will consist of either my P133 chip and board I have in the graveyard or a P2-200 I have, but I think that is a mini-AT case/board and only takes half-height ISA/PCI boards. I'm using an old AWE32 and the machine will just be a Win98SE system that I will play DOS based games on.

----
I just tell it like it is and some can't handle it. If your experience is different, well congratu-fukulation.
<b>I’M NOT A ATI FANBOY, I’M NOT A NV FANBOY, I’M A STABILITY FANBOY</b>

raretech

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2003
Back in the days of yore, I ran a P133 with a matrox mellenia and a voodoo 1 card. I never had problems with the mellenia and it was a good 2d card back in the day. I'm pretty sure VESA was supported in the card. I remember those VESA utilities, I had to use it for a "fast" cirrus logic based card I had at one time... I still remember that 3-d bench score with that cirrus logic card on my AMD386-40, 31.5 Fps! Oh man, how my friends envied me...

<i>SCO is to Linux what a flea is to a dog.</i>

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
ahhhh, the voodoo 1. that takes me back. they should allow you to double up on the latest video cards like you could with them. that was freaking awsome.

wpdclan.com cs game server - 69.12.5.119:27015

shadus

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2003
The card you want is a Matrox Millenium II. Don't get the Millenium 1, it was the suck in comparison... :) You should try to get two voodoo2's and sli em togeather!

Shadus

raretech

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2003
" Don't get the Millenium 1, it was the suck in comparison... :)"

Man, you're just a Millenium 1 hater... :)

<i>SCO is to Linux what a flea is to a dog.</i>