Help with uninstalling program in ADD/REMOVE

I have been having problems installing a new program (InterVideo DVD
Creator2) and finally gave up and tried to uninstall it from the
Windows XP Home ADD/REMOVE utility.

Although I cannot find anything in the program folder and the icon
has disappeared, I still find the program listed in ADD/REMOVE and
when I try to remove it I get an error message saying..."error
extracting support files. The system cannot find the file specified."

Can someone offer an explanation for what is happening (or not
happening)? I also tried to uninstall the program in another uninstall
utility called Easy Uninstaller and get the same error message.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Mary
3 answers Last reply
More about help uninstalling program remove

    Try going here and if its listed ? just right click on it and select remove
    , afterward go to your add and remove program area and see if its gone

    Go to Start/Run/Regedit and navigate to this key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

    "ECLiPSE 2002" <fdm2000@comcast.net> wrote in message

    > I have been having problems installing a new program (InterVideo DVD
    > Creator2) and finally gave up and tried to uninstall it from the
    > Windows XP Home ADD/REMOVE utility.
    >
    > Although I cannot find anything in the program folder and the icon
    > has disappeared, I still find the program listed in ADD/REMOVE and
    > when I try to remove it I get an error message saying..."error
    > extracting support files. The system cannot find the file specified."
    >
    > Can someone offer an explanation for what is happening (or not
    > happening)? I also tried to uninstall the program in another uninstall
    > utility called Easy Uninstaller and get the same error message.
    >
    > Any assistance would be appreciated.
    >
    > Mary

    Thanks for the response Road_Runner - unfortunately the key was not
    found where you suggested I look for it .

    Mary

    On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 19:57:50 -0500, "Road_Runner"
    <xpnewsgroup@gmail.com> wrote:

    > Try going here and if its listed ? just right click on it and select remove
    >, afterward go to your add and remove program area and see if its gone
    >
    >Go to Start/Run/Regedit and navigate to this key:
    >HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall
    >
    >"ECLiPSE 2002" <fdm2000@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> I have been having problems installing a new program (InterVideo DVD
    >> Creator2) and finally gave up and tried to uninstall it from the
    >> Windows XP Home ADD/REMOVE utility.
    >>
    >> Although I cannot find anything in the program folder and the icon
    >> has disappeared, I still find the program listed in ADD/REMOVE and
    >> when I try to remove it I get an error message saying..."error
    >> extracting support files. The system cannot find the file specified."
    >>
    >> Can someone offer an explanation for what is happening (or not
    >> happening)? I also tried to uninstall the program in another uninstall
    >> utility called Easy Uninstaller and get the same error message.
    >>
    >> Any assistance would be appreciated.
    >>
    >> Mary

    Ok , Try going into safe mode and then try to delete the program in the add
    and remove area

    > Thanks for the response Road_Runner - unfortunately the key was not
    > found where you suggested I look for it .
    >
    > Mary
    >
    > On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 19:57:50 -0500, "Road_Runner"
    > <xpnewsgroup@gmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >> Try going here and if its listed ? just right click on it and select
    >> remove
    >>, afterward go to your add and remove program area and see if its gone
    >>
    >>Go to Start/Run/Regedit and navigate to this key:
    >>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall
    >>
    >>"ECLiPSE 2002" <fdm2000@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> I have been having problems installing a new program (InterVideo DVD
    >>> Creator2) and finally gave up and tried to uninstall it from the
    >>> Windows XP Home ADD/REMOVE utility.
    >>>
    >>> Although I cannot find anything in the program folder and the icon
    >>> has disappeared, I still find the program listed in ADD/REMOVE and
    >>> when I try to remove it I get an error message saying..."error
    >>> extracting support files. The system cannot find the file specified."
    >>>
    >>> Can someone offer an explanation for what is happening (or not
    >>> happening)? I also tried to uninstall the program in another uninstall
    >>> utility called Easy Uninstaller and get the same error message.
    >>>
    >>> Any assistance would be appreciated.
    >>>
    >>> Mary

Support Error Message Windows XP