Unexpected shutdown XP Pro SP2

March 30, 2005 9:31:08 PM

I have a computer that will suddenly shutdown. It happens whenever the user
is running a spybot S&D scan, but also sometimes (not always) if he is
viewing a video or playing online games. When we checked the Event viewer
log it states that the shutdown was caused by someone choosing "Shutdown"
when control+alt+del was pressed. Of course no one actually did that. We
did load AdAware on and ran it in Safemode and did find spyware to delete.
(The system also shutdown while running Ad-Aware in normal mode)
Spybot still caused a shutdown of the system after clearing the spyware with
Ad-Aware. Do you think it is spyware related or could it be a hardware
issue? I am out of answers.
March 31, 2005 12:01:01 AM

Is there any error display when your system shutdown? Also did you use
antivirus to do a run on your system? Other things which you can try, like
going into Bios and check the temps of the processor and system, sometimes it
could be due to heat. Secondly download memtest and test it on your ram.

"Pete" wrote:

> I have a computer that will suddenly shutdown. It happens whenever the user
> is running a spybot S&D scan, but also sometimes (not always) if he is
> viewing a video or playing online games. When we checked the Event viewer
> log it states that the shutdown was caused by someone choosing "Shutdown"
> when control+alt+del was pressed. Of course no one actually did that. We
> did load AdAware on and ran it in Safemode and did find spyware to delete.
> (The system also shutdown while running Ad-Aware in normal mode)
> Spybot still caused a shutdown of the system after clearing the spyware with
> Ad-Aware. Do you think it is spyware related or could it be a hardware
> issue? I am out of answers.
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 11:37:01 PM

We're having a similar problem with 2 laptops running XP. When running
spybot, norton antivirus, perofrmance and maintenance from the control panel,
or defragment the machines shutdown 3/4 through their routine. Upon restart,
no error messages appear. It's as if they were being started fresh.
Unfortunately any files, folders, or applications that were running are now
shutdown. I've run antivirus folder-by-folder and not been able find a virus.
Could this be an XP-SP2 issue or hard drive issue? Any suggestions.

!