current security settings prohibit running active x contro..

Gator

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2003

I keep getting a message while trying to finish the install of Norton
Antivirus.....your current security settings prohibit running active x
controls on this page, as a result the page may not display properly. I have
never changed any of my settings. I get the same message if I go to admin
tools and try to click on services. Im at a complete loss. Appreciate any
help.

Hi Gator,

Have you installed a security suite lately? ( example..PivX )

Open REGEDIT and navigate to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
Settings\Zones\0

Backup the registry key to a REG file.

In the right-pane, double-click the value "1200" and set it's data to "0"

1200 corresponds to "Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins". Zone ID 0
("Zones\0") refers to the My Computer zone.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"gator" <gator@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I keep getting a message while trying to finish the install of Norton
> Antivirus.....your current security settings prohibit running active x
> controls on this page, as a result the page may not display properly. I
> have
> never changed any of my settings. I get the same message if I go to admin
> tools and try to click on services. Im at a complete loss. Appreciate any
> help.

Gator

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2003

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Hi Gator,
>
> Have you installed a security suite lately? ( example..PivX )
>
> Open REGEDIT and navigate to:
>
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
> Settings\Zones\0
>
> Backup the registry key to a REG file.
>
> In the right-pane, double-click the value "1200" and set it's data to "0"
>
> 1200 corresponds to "Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins". Zone ID 0
> ("Zones\0") refers to the My Computer zone.
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "gator" <gator@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I keep getting a message while trying to finish the install of Norton
> > Antivirus.....your current security settings prohibit running active x
> > controls on this page, as a result the page may not display properly. I
> > have
> > never changed any of my settings. I get the same message if I go to admin
> > tools and try to click on services. Im at a complete loss. Appreciate any
> > help.
>
> I have not installed any security type software recently. I tried what you said but it didnt work. If it makes any difference, I did open my downloaded files and there is an active x file that shows up as damaged. I can run live update on norton antivirus and download virus defs but it wont scan. The only update that wont download is the internet worm protection update.

Gator,

I have no idea about the Norton issue, and my earlier instructions were to
resolve the error when you open Services.msc applet (that might resolve NAV
problem as well). Is the Services.msc issue resolved? If not, note down the
values of these keys, and post them here:

Under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT AND HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\0\1400
Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\0\1201
Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\0\1200
Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\0\2201
Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\0\2000
Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\0\1405