current security settings prohibit running active x contro..

I keep getting a message while trying to finish the install of Norton
Antivirus.....your current security settings prohibit running active x
controls on this page, as a result the page may not display properly. I have
never changed any of my settings. I get the same message if I go to admin
tools and try to click on services. Im at a complete loss. Appreciate any
help.
3 answers Last reply
More about current security settings prohibit running active contro

    Hi Gator,

    Have you installed a security suite lately? ( example..PivX )

    Open REGEDIT and navigate to:

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
    Settings\Zones\0

    Backup the registry key to a REG file.

    In the right-pane, double-click the value "1200" and set it's data to "0"

    1200 corresponds to "Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins". Zone ID 0
    ("Zones\0") refers to the My Computer zone.

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

    > Hi Gator,
    >
    > Have you installed a security suite lately? ( example..PivX )
    >
    > Open REGEDIT and navigate to:
    >
    > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
    > Settings\Zones\0
    >
    > Backup the registry key to a REG file.
    >
    > In the right-pane, double-click the value "1200" and set it's data to "0"
    >
    > 1200 corresponds to "Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins". Zone ID 0
    > ("Zones\0") refers to the My Computer zone.
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "gator" <gator@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I keep getting a message while trying to finish the install of Norton
    > > Antivirus.....your current security settings prohibit running active x
    > > controls on this page, as a result the page may not display properly. I
    > > have
    > > never changed any of my settings. I get the same message if I go to admin
    > > tools and try to click on services. Im at a complete loss. Appreciate any
    > > help.
    >
    > I have not installed any security type software recently. I tried what you said but it didnt work. If it makes any difference, I did open my downloaded files and there is an active x file that shows up as damaged. I can run live update on norton antivirus and download virus defs but it wont scan. The only update that wont download is the internet worm protection update.

    Gator,

    I have no idea about the Norton issue, and my earlier instructions were to
    resolve the error when you open Services.msc applet (that might resolve NAV
    problem as well). Is the Services.msc issue resolved? If not, note down the
    values of these keys, and post them here:

    Under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT AND HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\0\1400
    Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\0\1201
    Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\0\1200
    Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\0\2201
    Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\0\2000
    Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\0\1405

    --

    > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi Gator,
    >>
    >> Have you installed a security suite lately? ( example..PivX )
    >>
    >> Open REGEDIT and navigate to:
    >>
    >> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
    >> Settings\Zones\0
    >>
    >> Backup the registry key to a REG file.
    >>
    >> In the right-pane, double-click the value "1200" and set it's data to "0"
    >>
    >> 1200 corresponds to "Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins". Zone ID 0
    >> ("Zones\0") refers to the My Computer zone.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP Shell/User
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>

    >> "gator" <gator@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I keep getting a message while trying to finish the install of Norton
    >> > Antivirus.....your current security settings prohibit running active x
    >> > controls on this page, as a result the page may not display properly. I
    >> > have
    >> > never changed any of my settings. I get the same message if I go to
    >> > admin
    >> > tools and try to click on services. Im at a complete loss. Appreciate
    >> > any
    >> > help.
    >>
    >> I have not installed any security type software recently. I tried what
    >> you said but it didnt work. If it makes any difference, I did open my
    >> downloaded files and there is an active x file that shows up as damaged.
    >> I can run live update on norton antivirus and download virus defs but it
    >> wont scan. The only update that wont download is the internet worm
    >> protection update.

Security Activex Windows XP