TECH : How to convert SEGA system 3 main PCB from Japanese..

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

TECH : How to convert SEGA system 3 main PCB from Japanese to US?

ANyone have any info on this. Jumper setting? ROM replacement? Other?

Thanks

Bob Presutti

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

I think its ROM replacement. Which game are you looking to change?
"skidog" <rpresuttiUNMUNGE@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> TECH : How to convert SEGA system 3 main PCB from Japanese to US?
>
> ANyone have any info on this. Jumper setting? ROM replacement? Other?
>
> Thanks
>
> Bob Presutti

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

Well regarded secret, I have the information, but I paid a lot of money for
it.. Only the l33t of the Sega world know it, I think most Sega tech guys
that work for Sega don't even know about it.

Clue, its similar to how people make a DVD player multi-region.

Regards

Andy

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

Its not that hard.

I know I've converted a few Japanese boardsets to English by changing ROMs.

Matt

"Andrew Lewis" <Andrew.lewis5@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> Well regarded secret, I have the information, but I paid a lot of money
> for it.. Only the l33t of the Sega world know it, I think most Sega tech
> guys that work for Sega don't even know about it.
>
> Clue, its similar to how people make a DVD player multi-region.
>
> Regards
>
> Andy

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

Ah, but this is not a rom swap, this is different as the roms already
contain all the information for the regions, the mainboard has a region
setting also, and this needs to be setup for the later Model 3 games, it is
also game specific.

For example if you had a US Sega Rally 2 and swap the roms to Daytona 2, you
would get Japanese Daytona 2, then when you swap the roms back to Sega Rally
2 that would also now be Japan, varies from game to game.

Andy

"Matt Mac Donagh" <gamefixer@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Its not that hard.
>
> I know I've converted a few Japanese boardsets to English by changing
> ROMs.
>
> Matt

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

>Well regarded secret, I have the information, but I paid a lot of money for
>it.. Only the l33t of the Sega world know it, I think most Sega tech guys
>that work for Sega don't even know about it.

Why would you even say anything about it if you were not going to give the
guy the information..

"jnhutch" <jnhutch@ev1.net> wrote in message
> >Well regarded secret, I have the information, but I paid a lot of money
> >for it.. Only the l33t of the Sega world know it, I think most Sega tech
> >guys that work for Sega don't even know about it.
>
> Why would you even say anything about it if you were not going to give the
> guy the information..

The information was harder than a hard thing to obtain, I took me 2 years of
searching, and people that did know didn't want the risk of being found out,
as losing the rights to be a Sega Authorised dealer would be a costly
mistake, the information will end up in the public domain eventually, but
Sega Rally 2, Stars Wars Trilogy and such still make good money onsite, and
if everybody knew the codes, then there would be lots of converted grey
imports flooding the market.

I don't think I am being mean, I just stating that it can be done, and if I
lived close to the guy then I would convert his PCBs FOC.

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

> I don't think I am being mean

sort of comes across as that though... probably would have been better off
saying nothing or private e-mailing him...

it really sounds like your taunting...

just my 2 cents..

> "jnhutch" <jnhutch@ev1.net> wrote in message
>> >Well regarded secret, I have the information, but I paid a lot of money
>> >for it.. Only the l33t of the Sega world know it, I think most Sega tech
>> >guys that work for Sega don't even know about it.
>>
>> Why would you even say anything about it if you were not going to give
>> the guy the information..
>
> The information was harder than a hard thing to obtain, I took me 2 years
> of searching, and people that did know didn't want the risk of being found
> out, as losing the rights to be a Sega Authorised dealer would be a costly
> mistake, the information will end up in the public domain eventually, but
> Sega Rally 2, Stars Wars Trilogy and such still make good money onsite,
> and if everybody knew the codes, then there would be lots of converted
> grey imports flooding the market.
>
> I don't think I am being mean, I just stating that it can be done, and if
> I lived close to the guy then I would convert his PCBs FOC.

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

HI All,

Andy has been extremely helpful with information via private email.

I still cannot convert regions on my PCB but Andy has definitely been a big
help in informing me on the differences of Daytona USA 2 and pointers on how
to run Sega Rally 2, Emergency Call Ambulance, and Dirt Devil out of the
same cabinet.

As far as converting regions it is more of a 'want' than an absolute 'have
to have'

My Daytona USA 2 is set for region Japan right now and I have no problems
whatsoever playing it. All of the voices are in english and the rest is not
all that hard to figure out.

Regards
Bob