Clay Cowgill: Good Service for Multigame Products

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

I just thought I'd let you know I had a good experience with Clay's
multigame kits. I bought a used Star Wars multigame and he sold me the
missing PROMs for a reasonable price. I didn't have to wait forever either.
I also bought a Williams multigame from a reseller. It died due to flaky
voltages in my game cabinet and Clay was helpful in narrowing down the
problem. I'm shipping this out for him to repair. Again, the price is
quite reasonable.

Mark Hooks

Mark Hooks wrote:
> I just thought I'd let you know I had a good experience with Clay's
> multigame kits. I bought a used Star Wars multigame and he sold me the
> missing PROMs for a reasonable price. I didn't have to wait forever either.
> I also bought a Williams multigame from a reseller. It died due to flaky
> voltages in my game cabinet and Clay was helpful in narrowing down the
> problem. I'm shipping this out for him to repair. Again, the price is
> quite reasonable.
>
> Mark Hooks

I really want that Missile Command Hi Score Save Kit Perty badly.......
Clay... any idea on when?

John

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

Lol, Please don't take offence, but every time clays name comes up I
hear about this. I just think is amusing.

Vizilla wrote:
> Lol, Please don't take offence, but every time clays name comes up I
> hear about this. I just think is amusing.

No offense taken. It's just that it's been 99% complete for years and
one day I just think that this day will come when missile command will
hi score save.

John

"Baraka" <grus_jc@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> No offense taken. It's just that it's been 99% complete for years and
> one day I just think that this day will come when missile command will
> hi score save.

Well, I'm not going to just do a high-score saver. Booooorrrring. ;-)

Not sure when I'll get back on it now; we just got a bunch more paying
business on our plate so I'm looking pretty booked through Summer now.

-Clay

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

Clay-
No offense, but it sounds like you should just take the multi-kits page
off of your web-site, and every mention of them.

When you do, finally, get around to doing up some, advertise them.
Just them, no more. Then you will find some "paying business".

I would love a multi-Q*bert, but it looks like Hell will freeze over
before anymore of those get done.

I also see people always wanting things that you have advertised or say
you are working on, and they keep hounding about it.

Just don't advertise and write about multi-kits and everybody will
eventually, maybe, forget that you even did them.

Just my thoughts after months of seeing people want multi-kits from you
that you are not doing or don't have the time.

-Tim

And as for you Mark, you purchased the multi-kit boards from someone
else, good job. It is easy to send out PROMs or diagnose stuff if you
have the parts handy and have the know-how to diagnose.

I am not trying to offend anybody, this is just what I have seen on
here for quite a while.

"mudmantim" <mudmantim@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Clay-
> No offense, but it sounds like you should just take the multi-kits page
> off of your web-site, and every mention of them.

Having the pages up draws feedback and gives me a feel for demand. If
nobody emails me or posts expressing interest then I assume there's none and
I don't give them much attention. Baraka single handedly keeps the Missile
Command Multigame on my radar. ;-)

> When you do, finally, get around to doing up some, advertise them.
> Just them, no more. Then you will find some "paying business".

Multigame.com is just a hobby for me; I'm not looking for "paying
business"-- I've got way too much of that with my other businesses. I'll
keep making things available as I have the time as long as there's still
interest in them. It's not like the "old days" mind you (the hobby has died
down significantly), but it's a fun diversion for me and I'll probably keep
doing stuff in very small numbers as long as people want it.

> I would love a multi-Q*bert, but it looks like Hell will freeze over
> before anymore of those get done.

You should have ordered earlier! :) There's just not enough people
interested to merit the time and effort to do more at the moment, but
again-- I leave the product page up and once in a while someone says they'd
be interested in one if I make more. At some point that quantity gets large
enough that it'll be worth making a dozen or whatever and fill the demand.

> I also see people always wanting things that you have advertised or say
> you are working on, and they keep hounding about it.

That's generally how you get my attention. ;-) But like I say, it's a
hobby-- one that I spend time on when my other obligations are fulfilled.

> Just don't advertise and write about multi-kits and everybody will
> eventually, maybe, forget that you even did them.
>
> Just my thoughts after months of seeing people want multi-kits from you
> that you are not doing or don't have the time.

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion. In all honesty, I'd say only
about 1% of the people that buy my kits actually post on this newsgroup...
I keep my orderforms updated with what's available and invite people to
email me if they want something that's out of production or that I haven't
finished yet. I'm going on nine years of doing this now-- products come and
go, some come back after being discontinued (Williams Multigame), some don't
(Wells Gardner Display Correctors), and some may or may not return in the
future (Q*Bert Multigame).

In the meantime, people like DaveW, MarkS, ScottB, etc. can always fill the
gaps with their own kits for stuff if they think there's enough demand to do
so and they have the time to take it on. Part of the reason you don't see a
lot of new kits is that it's generally not a "money maker" for people
anymore-- you've got to be doing it largely out of personal interest in the
hobby and less for profit... I'd love to just make kits for old games all
day, but that as a sole source of income is incompatible with my desired
lifestyle. ;-)

Thanks for the feedback at any rate...

-Clay

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

Clay-

I understand all of that, the wanting to judge interest, not making
money doing those boards, etc.

I can even understand you never doing another Q*bert multi-kit. I
didn't even know that they were around until after I read that you
didn't have anymore and no plans on making any either.

But advertising things that you don't physically have is like someone
drop-shipping orders. And if the item is back-ordered, they have your
money, you have no product and there is a lot of wasted time.

I have a lot of project games, probably will never get them all
working, let alone getting them to look really nice. I am not good
with the electronic part, only know how to test a fuse with a DMM. Not
really good with cabinet work either, but someday I will be able to
give it a good attempt.

If I was to advertise all these games as working and a price on a
website and took payment for them, hoping that I could get them going
soon, would that make good business sense? How about if I advertised
games that I did have, but don't anymore? I am sure that I could find
another one to replace them if someone wanted to buy one I had
advertised. But, could I do it as fast as they would expect, with
little to no notice and still make a fair profit?

I think you do the arcade collecting world a great service. You do
what most of us only dream to be able to do. I couldn't even imagine
figuring out how to make any of those kits.

But, I agree, you need to make a living and multi-kits won't do it.
But, I just don't understand advertising things that you don't have,
won't have for a while or will never have again.

Oh well, that is just me going on about nothing.
Thanks for the nice reply.
-Tim

> Clay-
>
> I understand all of that, the wanting to judge interest, not making
> money doing those boards, etc.
[...]
> But, I agree, you need to make a living and multi-kits won't do it.
> But, I just don't understand advertising things that you don't have,
> won't have for a while or will never have again.

I think we'll just have to agree to disagree. ;-)

Personally I like it when websites keep information on discontinued products
around-- people buy and sell used products, sometimes stuff turns up on
eBay, etc. and it's nice to be able to go read about it from "the source" or
to find out that at least it *was* out there in the wild (so then you just
have to find one).

Similarly, I don't really consider showing off work in progress/development
as 'advertising' it per-se. Since it's not available for sale I'm not
promoting that people can buy it... It's more like a 'concept car' in
Detroit-- hopefully it'll be available, but any number of things could
happen between now and then. DaveW shows pictures of boards he's working on
that are not for sale, MarkS has shown screen grabs of routed PCBs in
development that didn't make it to production, other people have had
screenshots and PCBs pictured for a Cinematronics Multigame, various new
games on old hardware, etc. It's something "neat" to look at and you cross
your fingers that it'll be available for purchase someday. ;-)

-Clay

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

>But advertising things that you don't physically have is like someone
>drop-shipping orders. And if the item is back-ordered, they have your
>money, you have no product and there is a lot of wasted time.

I used to make models for a company that made collectable die-cast
cars. they would make one model, do a big photo spread in a bunch of
magzines, and if they had enough interest they would make the stuff in
China, (12 week lead time!) otherwise they sent the money back and were
done with the project.

At least Clay says "this is going to take a long time."

Matter of fact I just ordered a Tempest Kit from clay. now it's a race.
Will he make the kit before i get the Tempest up and running.

I'm pretty sure Clay will win.

Bob

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

Clay-
Ok, ok, out of date websites are fine. I like looking at what coulda,
woulda myself. But when it is something that I would want, it really
bums me out to find out that they're not being produced anymore. And
hunting, and finding them, is pretty impossible sometimes.

But it is nice to dream.

Bob-
Advertising something you have no intention of ever producing again,
even if there is interest, just doesn't seem right.

Let us know who wins the race.
Even a Tempest that plays just Tempest is a great game to have.

-Tim

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

Tim,
Will do. Although in all fairness to clay he did say the kit would take
8-10 weeks.

Clay,
If you need Wg6100 parts to get your monitor running, I have a spare
that is working and can loan you parts.

Bob

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

The MJ kit I ordered from Clay took a little longer than expected but
Clay included a few extra switchers for the trouble. Clay has a lot to
offer to the hobby but like he says it just a hobby.

I still would like to see a Berzerk/Frenzy switcher kit. The docs,
schematics and ROMs are on my page and it doesnt seem to difficult. I
think Mark S. was going to do this but who knows...

Mike
www.habos-arcade.com

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

hAbO got it...it's just his hobby. The only problem is that the site
does seem to be a business...this should only be confusing if you
aren't in this group. I'm looking forward to seeing Clay's arcade
someday...whoever posted about bringing back arcades should move near
him and spend money there to make sure he's still in business when I
can go myself. btw, the esb kit in my machine works great!
Welby

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

I'm just sending in my order for the MultiJAMMA today... 4 - 8 weeks
for delivery isn't that bad when you consider it took me 2.5 years to
send my order in after deciding I wanted one...

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

Let us know how fast you get it.