black screen during system restore?

I ran system restore on my wifes computer and now all I see is a black
screen and the computer does not appear to be working, am I in big trouble?

SWAT

Are you able to go into safe mode? Try last Good Configuration, if you're
able to do so.

"bsbinns" wrote:

> I ran system restore on my wifes computer and now all I see is a black
> screen and the computer does not appear to be working, am I in big trouble?

it goes into safe mode with a black screen, and says "safe mode" in all four
corners with "microsoft (R) xp (R) (build 2600) at the center top of screen -
that is all - no icons or any functions.