Grayed-out Button in Control Panel Event Sounds

Tags:
  • Control Panel
  • Windows XP
March 31, 2005 2:59:01 AM

I have been going nuts trying to resolve this problem. I noticed that my
event sounds no longer work. Also, Macromedia Flash 7 playes video but I get
no sound.
All my other music software works fine. I have Quicktime, Real Media, and
Windows Media Player all working fine.

When I go to the control panel and select the default sounds and try to
preview a sound, the "play" arrow is grayed out and nothing happens.
I thought that installation of SP2 was the problem, so I removed it and I
have the same problem. Any ideas???

More about : grayed button control panel event sounds

Anonymous
March 31, 2005 8:38:08 AM

Hi,

Reinstall or update your sound card driver.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"phyllange" <phyllange@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have been going nuts trying to resolve this problem. I noticed that my
> event sounds no longer work. Also, Macromedia Flash 7 playes video but I
> get
> no sound.
> All my other music software works fine. I have Quicktime, Real Media, and
> Windows Media Player all working fine.
>
> When I go to the control panel and select the default sounds and try to
> preview a sound, the "play" arrow is grayed out and nothing happens.
> I thought that installation of SP2 was the problem, so I removed it and I
> have the same problem. Any ideas???
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 3:17:16 AM

I had that problem once and if I remember right, this is what I did.
Go to your Control Panel, Sounds and Audio Devices. When the window
opens, select the Audio Tab. Make sure that your sound device is
selected in the Sound Playback Window (Default device). For some
reason mine had changed to "Modem #0 Line playback". Once I switched
it back to my SB Audigy Audio, everything worked fine. Hope this
helps.

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 22:59:01 -0800, phyllange
<phyllange@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have been going nuts trying to resolve this problem. I noticed that my
>event sounds no longer work. Also, Macromedia Flash 7 playes video but I get
>no sound.
>All my other music software works fine. I have Quicktime, Real Media, and
>Windows Media Player all working fine.
>
>When I go to the control panel and select the default sounds and try to
>preview a sound, the "play" arrow is grayed out and nothing happens.
>I thought that installation of SP2 was the problem, so I removed it and I
>have the same problem. Any ideas???
April 4, 2005 5:45:04 AM

Thanks Hitman, but that wasn't a problem. Thanks for the try.

"MC_Hitman" wrote:

> I had that problem once and if I remember right, this is what I did.
> Go to your Control Panel, Sounds and Audio Devices. When the window
> opens, select the Audio Tab. Make sure that your sound device is
> selected in the Sound Playback Window (Default device). For some
> reason mine had changed to "Modem #0 Line playback". Once I switched
> it back to my SB Audigy Audio, everything worked fine. Hope this
> helps.
>

> On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 22:59:01 -0800, phyllange
> <phyllange@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I have been going nuts trying to resolve this problem. I noticed that my
> >event sounds no longer work. Also, Macromedia Flash 7 playes video but I get
> >no sound.
> >All my other music software works fine. I have Quicktime, Real Media, and
> >Windows Media Player all working fine.
> >
> >When I go to the control panel and select the default sounds and try to
> >preview a sound, the "play" arrow is grayed out and nothing happens.
> >I thought that installation of SP2 was the problem, so I removed it and I
> >have the same problem. Any ideas???

Anonymous
April 4, 2005 5:47:03 AM

Nutcase,

I updated and reinstalled the sound card. Still no solution. Thanks for
you help anyway. Hope someone can give me an answer!!

"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Reinstall or update your sound card driver.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "phyllange" <phyllange@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have been going nuts trying to resolve this problem. I noticed that my
> > event sounds no longer work. Also, Macromedia Flash 7 playes video but I
> > get
> > no sound.
> > All my other music software works fine. I have Quicktime, Real Media, and
> > Windows Media Player all working fine.
> >
> > When I go to the control panel and select the default sounds and try to
> > preview a sound, the "play" arrow is grayed out and nothing happens.
> > I thought that installation of SP2 was the problem, so I removed it and I
> > have the same problem. Any ideas???

Anonymous
June 14, 2005 11:37:01 AM

I have the same problem. The arrow is gray and windows does not play sound,
although I can play wav , mp3, etc with mediam player and such...

any new idea?

"phyllange" wrote:

> I have been going nuts trying to resolve this problem. I noticed that my
> event sounds no longer work. Also, Macromedia Flash 7 playes video but I get
> no sound.
> All my other music software works fine. I have Quicktime, Real Media, and
> Windows Media Player all working fine.
>
> When I go to the control panel and select the default sounds and try to
> preview a sound, the "play" arrow is grayed out and nothing happens.
> I thought that installation of SP2 was the problem, so I removed it and I
> have the same problem. Any ideas???
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 1:25:00 PM

Top 10 Frequently Asked Questions and Answers
Click on the ? Icon to Expand
Where did my Sounds go?

Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:37515616-EAC1-4FE3-A168-5D9E054FFD63@microsoft.com,
Le bouliot <Le bouliot@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> I have the same problem. The arrow is gray and windows does not play
> sound, although I can play wav , mp3, etc with mediam player and such...
>
> any new idea?
>
> "phyllange" wrote:
>
>> I have been going nuts trying to resolve this problem. I noticed that my
>> event sounds no longer work. Also, Macromedia Flash 7 playes video but
>> I get no sound.
>> All my other music software works fine. I have Quicktime, Real Media,
>> and Windows Media Player all working fine.
>>
>> When I go to the control panel and select the default sounds and try to
>> preview a sound, the "play" arrow is grayed out and nothing happens.
>> I thought that installation of SP2 was the problem, so I removed it and I
>> have the same problem. Any ideas???
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 2:43:04 PM

Le Bouliot and all others with this problem:
After much agravation and disappointment with the "grayed-out" button, I
decided to cough up money to Microsoft for support. It took almost two weeks
of back and forth "try this try that" beforewe solved the problem. It was
well worth the cost and is so nice to have my sounds and control panel
working perfectly. Here is the procedure as they directed me to solve this
problem. Follow it exactly and make sure you back up any important files
first. Good luck and let me know if it works for you. THe first procedure
is an attempt to repair using a transfer of ownership, which didn't work for
me. THe second procedure was the charm!!!! Good Luck!

Step 1: Transfer ownership
-------------------------------
1. Please click the "Start" menu => click "Run" => type "cmd" <without
quotation marks> and click "OK".
2. Copy or type the following commands into the prompt window:

Cacls %WINDIR% /E /C /T /G EVERYONE:F (Press Enter Key)
Exit (Press Enter Key)

Please test the issue again.

If the issue still persists, I suggest we perform a system repair to resolve
it.

Note: System Repair will not damage your documents and registry. However, it
is always recommended to backup your important information and files to other
partitions or other disks.

1. Make sure you have set your CD-ROM as the first priority boot device.
You may refer to your computer manual for information on how to do this.

2. Insert the Windows XP CD into your CD-ROM and reboot your computer.

3. When you see "Press any key to boot from CD" on the screen, press a key
to let your computer boot from the Windows XP CD.

4. When the computer boots from the CD-ROM, it checks your hardware and
then prompts you with the following options.

*To set up Windows XP now, press Enter.
*To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.
*To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

5. Please press ENTER. (Please don't press R. Otherwise it will enter
Recovery Console.)

6. Press the F8 key to agree to the Licensing Agreement.

7. You will see your current Windows XP installation is listed in a box and
get the following options:

*To repair the selected Windows XP installation, press R.
*To continue installing a fresh copy of Windows XP without repairing, press
ESC.

8. Please press "R".

9. Then the setup program will repair Windows XP automatically.

NOTE: After repairing Windows XP, you may need to re-activate Windows XP.

If you cannot activate your Windows XP through the Internet, please call our
activation center and they will help you to activate Windows XP:

Toll free number: 888-571-2048

Please take your time in trying my suggestions and let me know the results
at your earliest convenience. If anything is unclear or you have any
questions about the steps, please do not hesitate to let me know

!