Dropped my newly puschased palm :(

August 5, 2005 6:22:04 AM

I dropped my TE2 today :(  and noticed the sound is gliched when using
the TE2s own speakers I need to press the headphone jack down inorder
for the sound to work, the fall was very short so I wonder if it even
was from the fall, it even fell on my foot so it was kind of soft
landing.

I have only had it for 4 days now but still have gotten very addicted
to my palm, so I wonder If anyone had a problem like this and if it can
be fixed without sending it in?.
August 5, 2005 7:56:41 AM

> Soft landing are very common and cannot be avoided no matter how hard I try.

You could try dropping it from higher onto something harder. :-)

- PG
Anonymous
August 5, 2005 8:16:37 AM

thats what I fear, this is indeed a fragile thing but it might have
been broken due to my use of headphones maybe the headphone jack was
loose and it got worse.. but I still dont regret buying a pilot it has
made life so much more organized :)  ,,

just glad I had a warrantee dont need to pay, but still unlucky I
dropped it before my protectice case could arrive, I ordered this one
from ebay anyone has bought a similair? is it good at absorbing shocks?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tungsten-E-E2-Aluminum-Hard-Case-w-...
August 5, 2005 3:40:40 PM

siyamak@gmail.com wrote:

> I dropped my TE2 today :(  and noticed the sound is gliched when using
> the TE2s own speakers I need to press the headphone jack down inorder
> for the sound to work ...

Same here with a Tungsten T. One side of the output will not work unless
pressure is applied to the headphones jack. This did not appear like a
direct result of a fall.

> ..., the fall was very short so I wonder if it even
> was from the fall, it even fell on my foot so it was kind of soft
> landing.

Soft landing are very common and cannot be avoided no matter how hard I try.
It is possible that the component in question is very fragile or
vulnerable. Let us wait and see if somebody reports similar issues.

> I have only had it for 4 days now but still have gotten very addicted
> to my palm, so I wonder If anyone had a problem like this and if it can
> be fixed without sending it in?.

I think it would have to be sent for repair (replacement of that little
component). It was a shame having that damage incurred. I use my Palm as an
MP3 player all the time. Repair can be expensive though so I hope you have
warrantee and I encourage you to take advantage of it.

Roy

--
Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com

PaddyG wrote:

>> Soft landing are very common and cannot be avoided no matter how hard I
>> try.
>
> You could try dropping it from higher onto something harder. :-)

*LOL*

I should have phrased it "Soft landing(S) are common and as much as I
promise myself never to drop the Palm again, it keeps happening time after
time."

When a Palm is brand new (like with most other gadgets) I am always very
careful with it, leaving it in the case. Later it begins to fall in places
like work and the gym. After a year it ends up being tossed from place to
place because it's easier and more energy/cost-efficient (provided that I
recently HotSync'd). Eventually it dies or handed in to someone else.

Roy
Anonymous
August 5, 2005 8:33:17 PM

In article <1123240597.509360.136750@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
siyamak@gmail.com wrote:

> just glad I had a warrantee dont need to pay, but still unlucky I
> dropped it before my protectice case could arrive, I ordered this one
> from ebay anyone has bought a similair? is it good at absorbing shocks?

Depends on the shock, of course. You might think you dropped it from a
short distance and that it landed softly, but how it landed is also
important to what part of the device bore most of the impact.

These are not devices meant to be dropped. They're not ruggedized, but
with so many sold and still working, they're not fragile either.
Anonymous
August 5, 2005 8:44:38 PM

siyamak@gmail.com wrote:

>I dropped my TE2 today :(  and noticed the sound is gliched when using
>the TE2s own speakers I need to press the headphone jack down inorder
>for the sound to work,

*If* the TE2 is made like the TE then the internal speaker is electrically
connected to the main board by springs. These could have been misaligned in the
fall. Or if the headphones were plugged in, and the plug hit the ground when it
fell, you may have damaged the headphone jack, or it's solder connections.

> I wonder If...it can be fixed without sending it in?.

Depends. How good are you at working on small electronics? If the speaker
springs are bent, that would be easy. Just rebend them for more pressure on the
main board. If it's a broken solder joint on the headphone jack (IMO most
likely) then depending on board/jack damage, resoldering may do it. If the jack
is busted, the jack's probably not repairable. Getting a new jack might be hard
as it's probably proprietary. If you open it, your warranty is invalid. However
Palm is unlikely to fix it under warranty anyway as they will claim user abuse
which is not covered. So you're probably looking at paying around half the
purchase price to have Palm fix it. Tough break...
!