When I try to run WindowsXP SP2 I get an error message "Corrupt Local File".
Then a generic (green meadow) backround picture, then nothing else happens.

How can I fix this? All of the Microsoft help sites seem to be dead. They
tell me to come back later...but "later" never comes.

Lenny

Hi Lenny,

Logon as administrator, create a new profile, then copy your old one into
it. In general, you cannot recover a corrupt profile.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=811151

To access the default administrator account:

In WinXP Pro, hit ctrl+alt+delete twice at the logon screen and type it in.

In WinXP Home, you must restart and enter Safe mode by hitting F8 at
startup. The administrator logon will be one of the options.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Lenny Abbey" <labbey@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> When I try to run WindowsXP SP2 I get an error message "Corrupt Local
> File".
> Then a generic (green meadow) backround picture, then nothing else
> happens.
>
> How can I fix this? All of the Microsoft help sites seem to be dead. They
> tell me to come back later...but "later" never comes.
>
> Lenny

But I can't log on. Can I do this from Safe Mode?

Thanks,

Lenny

> Hi Lenny,
>
> Logon as administrator, create a new profile, then copy your old one into
> it. In general, you cannot recover a corrupt profile.
>
> How to Copy User Data to a New User Profile
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=811151
>
> To access the default administrator account:
>
> In WinXP Pro, hit ctrl+alt+delete twice at the logon screen and type it
in.

> In WinXP Home, you must restart and enter Safe mode by hitting F8 at
> startup. The administrator logon will be one of the options.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Lenny Abbey" <labbey@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> > When I try to run WindowsXP SP2 I get an error message "Corrupt Local
> > File".
> > Then a generic (green meadow) backround picture, then nothing else
> > happens.
> >
> > How can I fix this? All of the Microsoft help sites seem to be dead.
They
> > tell me to come back later...but "later" never comes.
> >
> > Lenny

Hi,

Absolutely.

--

> But I can't log on. Can I do this from Safe Mode?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Lenny

>> Hi Lenny,
>>
>> Logon as administrator, create a new profile, then copy your old one into
>> it. In general, you cannot recover a corrupt profile.
>>
>> How to Copy User Data to a New User Profile
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=811151
>>
>> To access the default administrator account:
>>
>> In WinXP Pro, hit ctrl+alt+delete twice at the logon screen and type it
> in.
>>
>> In WinXP Home, you must restart and enter Safe mode by hitting F8 at
>> startup. The administrator logon will be one of the options.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Lenny Abbey" <labbey@mindspring.com> wrote in message
>> > When I try to run WindowsXP SP2 I get an error message "Corrupt Local
>> > File".
>> > Then a generic (green meadow) backround picture, then nothing else
>> > happens.
>> >
>> > How can I fix this? All of the Microsoft help sites seem to be dead.
> They
>> > tell me to come back later...but "later" never comes.
>> >
>> > Lenny

There is something wrong with the .NET Passport sign in. It won't let me in,
and it won't allow me to establish a new account. I would like to see the KB
article.

Lenny

> Hi,
>
> Absolutely.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Lenny Abbey" <labbey@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> > But I can't log on. Can I do this from Safe Mode?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Lenny
> >

> > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message
> >> Hi Lenny,
> >>
> >> Logon as administrator, create a new profile, then copy your old one
into
> >> it. In general, you cannot recover a corrupt profile.
> >>
> >> How to Copy User Data to a New User Profile
> >>
> >> To access the default administrator account:
> >>
> >> In WinXP Pro, hit ctrl+alt+delete twice at the logon screen and type it
> > in.
> >>
> >> In WinXP Home, you must restart and enter Safe mode by hitting F8 at
> >> startup. The administrator logon will be one of the options.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Best of Luck,

> >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> >> Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
> >> www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
> >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
> >>
> >> "Lenny Abbey" <labbey@mindspring.com> wrote in message

> > They