Sign in with
Your question

AGP Aperture Size

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 6, 2003 12:37:11 PM

Can smone tell me wads the AGP Aperture Size in the BIOS settings for?
Mine can go up to 256mb...

B|rD[RoB|n]

More about : agp aperture size

December 7, 2003 12:32:07 AM

If I remember correctly, Crashman said that 128MB would be optimal, there is no point to set it higher than that
December 7, 2003 12:40:21 AM

50% of your ram size. So if you have 512MB of ram, set it to 256.

The one and only "Monstrous BULLgarian!"
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
December 7, 2003 6:20:50 AM

It's the maximum amount of RAM you can use to cache textures. Modern video cards have so much RAM you might not even use it, but some programs check to see the setting before making adjustments for it. As such I've found it best to set this at 128MB, and that was through extensive testing.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
a b U Graphics card
December 7, 2003 6:22:12 AM

That's a myth. You can set it at up to 100% of your RAM and it won't make a lot of difference. Some programs look for 128MB aperture, using more has no apreciable affect on performance, using less affects those programs that do such a system check.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
December 7, 2003 6:51:22 AM

ok i have 384ddr ram and i have 128mbs on my GF card so i shld just set it to 128 will be ok?

B|rD[RoB|n]
a b U Graphics card
December 7, 2003 6:54:07 AM

Yes sir!

December 7, 2003 7:28:12 AM

danks alot man...

B|rD[RoB|n]
a b U Graphics card
December 7, 2003 10:11:40 AM

Yeah I found 128mb works best for me from my experience.

Someone here posted a link that explained it pretty well (about 2 pages, just about aperture settings!). Can't remember where though.

I'll check and see if I can find it (it was posted like 4-6+ months ago).

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil: 

<b>-NEW PIC IN THGC ALBUM-</b>
a b U Graphics card
December 7, 2003 10:16:37 AM

There we go, found the thread. Surprisingly enough a familiar name is there. :wink:

That link no longer leads directly to that more thorough description though (I believe it was clickable list of info).

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?nam..." target="_new">http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?nam...;/A>

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil: 

<b>-NEW PIC IN THGC ALBUM-</b>
December 7, 2003 1:36:20 PM

woot! ill go check out the thread now...

B|rD[RoB|n]
!