cable internet problem

i want to get on the internet at my house. we have cable
and a modem. but i can't access the internet. apparently
the providors address dosn't match the address on my
laptop.

i think this is what i need to do but don't know how to do
it:

i want to specify an address for my network card or
computer so that it matches the address that my internet
cable provider has issued. i have that address but i don't
know where to put it? i'm not sure if this makes sense.

i use windows xp on a dell inspiron laptop if this helps.
2 answers Last reply
More about cable internet problem

    Joe

    Refer the problem to your Internet Service Provider..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/user

    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "joe" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >i want to get on the internet at my house. we have cable
    > and a modem. but i can't access the internet. apparently
    > the providors address dosn't match the address on my
    > laptop.
    >
    > i think this is what i need to do but don't know how to do
    > it:
    >
    > i want to specify an address for my network card or
    > computer so that it matches the address that my internet
    > cable provider has issued. i have that address but i don't
    > know where to put it? i'm not sure if this makes sense.
    >
    > i use windows xp on a dell inspiron laptop if this helps.

    While Mike is right that your ISP should have provided clear, complete
    instructions, to answer your immediate question:

    Control Panel - Network Connections. Right click on your Local Area
    Connection, select Properties. Scroll down and double-click Internet
    Protocol (TCP/IP) . Select the Radio Button for Use the Following Address,
    enter your addres, subnet mask (normally 255.255.255.0), gateway address
    (also provided by ISP). They should also then provide DNS addresses for you
    to enter.

    So, with all this, and maybe a few more settings, it is really necessary
    that the ISP provide you clear directions on any and all settings peculiar
    to their network. If they can't do that for you, they don't deserve your
    money.

    Val
    --
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    www.sdsmt.edu

    Joe

    Refer the problem to your Internet Service Provider..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/user

    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "joe" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >i want to get on the internet at my house. we have cable
    > and a modem. but i can't access the internet. apparently
    > the providors address dosn't match the address on my
    > laptop.
    >
    > i think this is what i need to do but don't know how to do
    > it:
    >
    > i want to specify an address for my network card or
    > computer so that it matches the address that my internet
    > cable provider has issued. i have that address but i don't
    > know where to put it? i'm not sure if this makes sense.
    >
    > i use windows xp on a dell inspiron laptop if this helps.

Cable Internet Windows XP