bridge connections

read carefully
I have 2 hosts (left and right) connected with a CAT5 cross patch cable
both have XP Prof with SP2 and all updates
both have IPV6 installed
I can ping6 ping4 both directions except for the following situation:
the host on the right (for reference) has another interface connected
successfully to a IPV4 network

"bridge connections" did not work!

from the host on the left, I tried to ping the IPV4 network address of the
computer
on the right and failed "cannot reach address"

must be some type of ipconfig command
2 answers Last reply
More about bridge connections

    Bridge May Not Work With a Non-Promiscuous Mode Network Adapter http://support.microsoft.com/kb/302348
    netsh bridge set adapter 1 forcecompatmode=enable

    or
    You cannot enable the Network Bridge connection between network adaptors in Windows XP http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892892
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup
    This problem may occur after you uninstall Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) or after you install a program that changes the LogLevel
    registry value on your Windows XP-based computer.
    --

    Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
    FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
    "Landon Kelsey" <landonmkelsey@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:E6A6E0B9-9B1E-449A-AD36-F5FE6A165083@microsoft.com...
    > read carefully
    > I have 2 hosts (left and right) connected with a CAT5 cross patch cable
    > both have XP Prof with SP2 and all updates
    > both have IPV6 installed
    > I can ping6 ping4 both directions except for the following situation:
    > the host on the right (for reference) has another interface connected
    > successfully to a IPV4 network
    >
    > "bridge connections" did not work!
    >
    > from the host on the left, I tried to ping the IPV4 network address of the
    > computer
    > on the right and failed "cannot reach address"
    >
    > must be some type of ipconfig command

    OK...then how do I make it work???

    "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:

    > Bridge May Not Work With a Non-Promiscuous Mode Network Adapter http://support.microsoft.com/kb/302348
    > netsh bridge set adapter 1 forcecompatmode=enable
    >
    > or
    > You cannot enable the Network Bridge connection between network adaptors in Windows XP http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892892
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup
    > This problem may occur after you uninstall Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) or after you install a program that changes the LogLevel
    > registry value on your Windows XP-based computer.
    > --
    >
    > Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
    > FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
    > ..
    > "Landon Kelsey" <landonmkelsey@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:E6A6E0B9-9B1E-449A-AD36-F5FE6A165083@microsoft.com...
    > > read carefully
    > > I have 2 hosts (left and right) connected with a CAT5 cross patch cable
    > > both have XP Prof with SP2 and all updates
    > > both have IPV6 installed
    > > I can ping6 ping4 both directions except for the following situation:
    > > the host on the right (for reference) has another interface connected
    > > successfully to a IPV4 network
    > >
    > > "bridge connections" did not work!
    > >
    > > from the host on the left, I tried to ping the IPV4 network address of the
    > > computer
    > > on the right and failed "cannot reach address"
    > >
    > > must be some type of ipconfig command

Windows XP