9800 AIW Game problem, please help

LucasBuck

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2002
I've tried everything I can think of. It's a clean install of XP, etc. I've updated the board with the VIA update, gotten the new catalyst, etc.
Everything works fine, except games. Games run through intros and such, but then the screen scrambles into a mess of blocks (although the game keeps running).
It's weird. To give an example, in CC Generals, the games will load completely up to the menu (new game, etc.) and you can see the beginning of the battle scene it shows in the background, and then it screws up. BTW, I'm running it to a projection tv. Anyone have any suggestions?

Running XP, 256 mb, 8KTA mb, 1.2 Athlon

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by lucasbuck on 12/06/03 09:04 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Schmide

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2001
Make sure your display is set to primary display.

Display Properties/Settings/Advanced/Displays

Click the bulls eye looking thing by your primary display

Dichromatic for your viewing plesure...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
ATI drivers come with a gart update needed for non-Intel chipsets. I would think it was installed automatically, but it might not have been.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

LucasBuck

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2002
Okay, I think I'm figuring it out. I switched the display to 100 hertz (from the original 60) and now Vice City runs fine, but C&C Generals still does the blocky thing. It's a 61 inch RCA projection TV. I've tried to find the hertz of it, but no luck. Not even on their web page. Any suggestions?

Type the model number into google, and the abbreviation HZ.

That may help.

100hz is used mainly for PAL TVs in their High Def standard. Some N.Amr. HDTV sets handle that but some don't.

Until you know for sure what your TV can handle I wouldn't mess with the card's refresh rate too much as you could seriously damage your TV. Seriously!

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

<b>-NEW PIC IN THGC ALBUM-</b>

Schmide

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2001
My guess is the game is having trouble running at a lower resolution. I don’t know why changing the refresh rate makes one game work. As the Ape said, going over 60hz on a standard TV video signal is bad. Set display 1 to 1024x768x32, this is the display resolution that games will see when the query DirectX. The ATI card will convert it to a video signal compatible with TVs. When you go to
Display Properties/Settings/Advanced/Displays
both Monitor and TV should display 1024x768 and the TV should be selected as the main display.

Or are you using the ATI high definition converter? Because that’s a whole different can of worms.

Dichromatic for your viewing plesure...

LucasBuck

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2002
It's not high definition. But now that you mention it, in system, it lists my monitor as a standard monitor. If I go under advanced/displays, it is set for tv, but only at 800x600. I can change that, but should system list is as a standard monitor?

hlftopdog

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2003
tbh dude i have same problem with games on my 9500 card. i assumed it was a cooling issue and some other people on the forum said it was a cooling issue, so i baught new cooling for the card (25 bloody pounds) and it still screws up in games *sighs* think we both have fu*ked cards if im honest

hlftopdog

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2003
tbh dude i have same problem with games on my 9500 card. i assumed it was a cooling issue and some other people on the forum said it was a cooling issue, so i baught new cooling for the card (25 bloody pounds) and it still screws up in games *sighs* think we both have cards which are screwed and need replacing if im honest