Formatting hard drive

I have 2000nt and xp on my machine. I was having problems with boot up and
when I connected to the internet it would reboot. So I used the restore
program by Lenten and it asked me to seperate my data and file system. Guess
that I did not do it right. Out of 26000mb I put 8008 into C. Now when I
boot it get the error that I have no OS. Please tell me how to get to the
dos prompt when I boot so that I can format from there. Also I no longer
want to have 2 OS's I will just want to work from one, so do I need to have
partitions? I will only be putting xp back on and I believe that I need and
existing win os to do that. Thanks in advance for all of your help
2 answers Last reply
More about formatting hard drive

    Dawn, if your cdrom drive is set for first boot device in Bios you might
    be able to just do a clean install of WinXP.
    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html During the
    install procedure you can format and delete
    partitions.

    "Dawn S" <DawnS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have 2000nt and xp on my machine. I was having problems with boot up and
    > when I connected to the internet it would reboot. So I used the restore
    > program by Lenten and it asked me to seperate my data and file system.
    > Guess
    > that I did not do it right. Out of 26000mb I put 8008 into C. Now when I
    > boot it get the error that I have no OS. Please tell me how to get to the
    > dos prompt when I boot so that I can format from there. Also I no longer
    > want to have 2 OS's I will just want to work from one, so do I need to
    > have
    > partitions? I will only be putting xp back on and I believe that I need
    > and
    > existing win os to do that. Thanks in advance for all of your help

    I did change to boot from cd and formatted the partition to ntfs and now
    setup goes through to copying files and then reboots. I have done this
    several times and even went into bios and disabled the hdd recovery. The
    highest that setup has gotten is to 27% and then reboots. I have also gotten
    an error message about setting the shadow and cache. Please help.
    Thanks

    "Rich Barry" wrote:

    > Dawn, if your cdrom drive is set for first boot device in Bios you might
    > be able to just do a clean install of WinXP.
    > http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html During the
    > install procedure you can format and delete
    > partitions.
    >

    > "Dawn S" <DawnS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I have 2000nt and xp on my machine. I was having problems with boot up and
    > > when I connected to the internet it would reboot. So I used the restore
    > > program by Lenten and it asked me to seperate my data and file system.
    > > Guess
    > > that I did not do it right. Out of 26000mb I put 8008 into C. Now when I
    > > boot it get the error that I have no OS. Please tell me how to get to the
    > > dos prompt when I boot so that I can format from there. Also I no longer
    > > want to have 2 OS's I will just want to work from one, so do I need to
    > > have
    > > partitions? I will only be putting xp back on and I believe that I need
    > > and
    > > existing win os to do that. Thanks in advance for all of your help

Hard Drives Windows XP