Bad cooling on Dimension 8400

Well i have read all the post on loud cpu fan on dell 8400, and i have
the problem too, i have bought 2 Dell Dimension 8400, and the first
time i put power on, i notice it was to loud, i called Dell at once
and have had a technician twice(Changing moterboard/fan/heatzink), but
it had not helped, and Dell-support said now that they cant help me,
and i cant return those noisy 8400.
I making a E-mail every day to complaine about this, but nothing
happens, i have spend many hours since 3.Jan. 2005 try to get Dell
make the machines work or take them back, but no response from DELL,
but luckywise i have not payed the bill, so thats there i stand at the
moment.
2 Dimensions that i dont want to use because of the noise, and 2 very
angry colleges who missed a pc(I´m ready to buy a HP instead, but i
would like this to have a end first)

By the way i think its the heatzink thats is the problem, i think
there is a bad conection betwene the heatpipes and the very very thin
copperplate an out to the fins, if you put a finger on the heatpipes
down at the CPU, its not even warm, and still the fan runs in high
mode, so i think its a very bad desing of the heatzink thats trick all
the problems.

Soooo DELL are you going to do nothing about all these problems(BAD
BAD DELL)

(Ps. sorry for my spelling, but i come from Denmark

TOHJ

"tohj" <thj_dk@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Well i have read all the post on loud cpu fan on dell 8400, and i have
> the problem too, i have bought 2 Dell Dimension 8400, and the first
> time i put power on, i notice it was to loud, i called Dell at once
> and have had a technician twice(Changing moterboard/fan/heatzink), but
> it had not helped, and Dell-support said now that they cant help me,
> and i cant return those noisy 8400.
> I making a E-mail every day to complaine about this, but nothing
> happens, i have spend many hours since 3.Jan. 2005 try to get Dell
> make the machines work or take them back, but no response from DELL,
> but luckywise i have not payed the bill, so thats there i stand at the
> moment.
> 2 Dimensions that i dont want to use because of the noise, and 2 very
> angry colleges who missed a pc(I´m ready to buy a HP instead, but i
> would like this to have a end first)
>
> By the way i think its the heatzink thats is the problem, i think
> there is a bad conection betwene the heatpipes and the very very thin
> copperplate an out to the fins, if you put a finger on the heatpipes
> down at the CPU, its not even warm, and still the fan runs in high
> mode, so i think its a very bad desing of the heatzink thats trick all
> the problems.
>
> Soooo DELL are you going to do nothing about all these problems(BAD
> BAD DELL)
>
> (Ps. sorry for my spelling, but i come from Denmark
>
> TOHJ

I'm a bit surprised that they haven't replaced the processor itself along
with the heatsink. The CPU diode on some of these ("loud fan") machines may
well be faulty in reporting higher CPU temps than actually exist thereby
causing the fan to become overly active. From your heatpipe physical check,
that might indicate not a faulty heatsink, but a CPU that is actually
running cool and within specs - but is malfunctioning nonetheless.

Read under "thermal requirements":
http://cache-www.intel.com/cd/00/00/17/98/179821_179821.pdf

While the fan pin specs are different on the Dell board versus the Intel,
the Dell board is based largely on Intel design.

You might wish to forward this information to tech support in your efforts
for a solution.

Good luck.

Stew

Tellme

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003

If you have had the pc less then 30 days from the invoice date you can
return it. Call and ask to speak to a customer representative. Don't
mess with the techs.

"tellme" <whois@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> If you have had the pc less then 30 days from the invoice date you can
> return it. Call and ask to speak to a customer representative. Don't
> mess with the techs.

That's certainly an option. However, their policy is now apparently 21 days
from invoice, not 30.

Stew

Tellme

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003

Stew, this is a known problem for Dell. I really do not see why they
do not correct this. I am sure it is possible. I have had the same
complaint for the past 4 years in every Dell I purchased and there
were many. Sounds like new design in in order.

> Stew, this is a known problem for Dell. I really do not see why they
> do not correct this. I am sure it is possible. I have had the same
> complaint for the past 4 years in every Dell I purchased and there
> were many. Sounds like new design in in order.

No, this IS a new design (as per Intel and ultimately Dell).

This is something completely different from the noisy fans of previous
models. Lest you think I'm kidding, when an 8400 fan "runs away", you could
literally dry your hair with it. A deck of cards would be blown off a table
(in scads of singles and multiples) if in the wash of the fan.

Noise is one thing. Seeing one of these in a 'wide open' state is entirely
another.

Stew

> "tellme" <whois@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Stew, this is a known problem for Dell. I really do not see why they
>> do not correct this. I am sure it is possible. I have had the same
>> complaint for the past 4 years in every Dell I purchased and there
>> were many. Sounds like new design in in order.
>>

> No, this IS a new design (as per Intel and ultimately Dell).
>
> This is something completely different from the noisy fans of previous
> models. Lest you think I'm kidding, when an 8400 fan "runs away", you
> could literally dry your hair with it. A deck of cards would be blown off
> a table (in scads of singles and multiples) if in the wash of the fan.
>
> Noise is one thing. Seeing one of these in a 'wide open' state is entirely
> another.
>

> Stew

I got my 8400 about 2 months ago. The very first day, I left it on
overnight and in the morning it wouldn't come out of power saver mode. I
turned off the power and restarted. I thought the thing was going to take
off. It sounded like a jet engine. Amazing. After looking at the diag
lights on the back I figured out it was bad memory. One of the sticks was
faulty. Dell sent me both sticks to replace and it's worked just fine
since. The noise coming out of that box was something I never would have
believed had I not heard it with my own ears.

alien

"alien" <nofenders@mtco.com> wrote in message news:41f79de5$1_2@127.0.0.1...

> "S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "tellme" <whois@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> Stew, this is a known problem for Dell. I really do not see why they
>>> do not correct this. I am sure it is possible. I have had the same
>>> complaint for the past 4 years in every Dell I purchased and there
>>> were many. Sounds like new design in in order.
>>>

>> No, this IS a new design (as per Intel and ultimately Dell).
>>
>> This is something completely different from the noisy fans of previous
>> models. Lest you think I'm kidding, when an 8400 fan "runs away", you
>> could literally dry your hair with it. A deck of cards would be blown off
>> a table (in scads of singles and multiples) if in the wash of the fan.
>>
>> Noise is one thing. Seeing one of these in a 'wide open' state is
>> entirely another.
>>

>> Stew
>>

> I got my 8400 about 2 months ago. The very first day, I left it on
> overnight and in the morning it wouldn't come out of power saver mode. I
> turned off the power and restarted. I thought the thing was going to take
> off. It sounded like a jet engine. Amazing. After looking at the diag
> lights on the back I figured out it was bad memory. One of the sticks was
> faulty. Dell sent me both sticks to replace and it's worked just fine
> since. The noise coming out of that box was something I never would have
> believed had I not heard it with my own ears.
>
> alien

A very timely and helpful post. As you've pointed out so well, DDR2 DIMMs
have also been known to cause these runaways. The power of the fan is truly
remarkable and not some minor ordeal when out of control.

Yours mercifully showed a no POST with RAM code which helps. The OPs system
hasn't been so kind. He said they've already replaced the fan and
motherboard, so it's narrowed down if he can't or doesn't return it for
exchange.

Stew

All this is not my experience at all. I got a new 8400 in late Dec.
It's pretty quiet. The only noise I hear is a "burbling" from the case,
which I presume is the hard drive. I've never even heard the fan come
on at all. I know the heatsink is like a car radiator, but so far so
good. Then again, I've not done much that is processor intensive.

Tom S.
Houston, TX

S.Lewis wrote:
> "tellme" <whois@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>If you have had the pc less then 30 days from the invoice date you can
>>return it. Call and ask to speak to a customer representative. Don't
>>mess with the techs.
>>

> That's certainly an option. However, their policy is now apparently 21 days
> from invoice, not 30.
>

> Stew

Ok -- logical response to this thread -- does anyone know of a Dell
laptop model which does NOT have cooling or fan problems? My old and
trusty 5100 is having serious heat related problems and I'm looking at
replacement. I'd prefer to get a Dell but --- things change.