Will the Radeon 9800 pro work with my motherboard?

Entropy_5

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2003
I have an ASUS A7A266 motherboard with a 1.4 GHZ Athlon chip on it. It says it "Supports AGP/AGP Pro cards for high performance, component level interconnection targeted at 3D graphical applications supporting 133 mhz 4X mode." I have no idea what that means.

The Radeon 9800 pro box says "8X/4X" on the front. So does that mean my motherboard will support it? Also, what is this 133mhz business? That isn't the maximum speed that the motherboard can run the video card at, is it? Would this be a good card to get for this motherboard (assuming I cannot upgrade the motherboard)?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It should work fine as long as you have a good enough power supply, but the 133MHz part is a lie.

Here's what happened: AGP runs at 66MHz. Some companies started calling it 133MHz back in the AGP2x days, like AMD called their 100MHz bus 200MHz. It's a DDR thing that certainly can't be applied to AGP4x. Some dickhead wrote the misinformation at Asus's site.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Entropy_5

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2003
Ok, thanks for the info. Looks like it'll work then. My power supply is 320 Watts. I heard that the new Radeons require at least 300 Watts. So it should be ok then. Am I missing anything else? I don't think I can return it after I open it so I don't want to be wasting this money.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Some power supplies aren't as good as they're rated. Everything should be fine, but if you have any problems you can upgrade the supply without further complication.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>