How do I add a second hard drive to Dimension PC??

Last response: in Computer Brands
January 24, 2005 11:25:42 PM

I want to add a second hard drive to this PC, but there appears to be only
one spot (taken up by the original hard drive). It's mounted in a bracket
vertically, near the very front of the case. There doesn't appear to be any
other spots to put it aside from finding another bracket like it, and
fitting it in there too somehow. I think it's a dimension 3000

What can I do?

::
Anonymous
January 24, 2005 11:25:43 PM

Try this;
http://www.issue-resolved.com/

"emocean" <emocean@XhotmailX.com> wrote in message
>I want to add a second hard drive to this PC, but there appears to be
>only
> one spot (taken up by the original hard drive). It's mounted in a
> bracket
> vertically, near the very front of the case. There doesn't appear to
> be any
> other spots to put it aside from finding another bracket like it, and
> fitting it in there too somehow. I think it's a dimension 3000
>
> What can I do?
>
> ::

Anonymous
January 25, 2005 12:23:30 AM

> What can I do?

Zip ties / meccano :-}

January 25, 2005 5:08:39 AM

get an external hard drive. hook it up with a usb cable.
January 25, 2005 5:09:49 AM

get an external hard drive. hook it up with a usb cable.
January 25, 2005 6:14:47 AM

get an external hard drive. hook it up with a usb cable.
Anonymous
January 25, 2005 1:26:02 PM

"jd" <sickboy2all@aol.com> wrote:
> but wouldn't an external suffice, as i suggested. or is this not a
> desireable set up?

External USB 2.0 and FireWire drives are slow when compared
to ATA drives, and they run hot due to having only convection
cooling. I also discovered that an ATA drive would fit in my Zip
drive space, but I'd have to install some sort of fan because of
the close fit.

*TimDan*
Anonymous
January 25, 2005 3:34:31 PM

"jd" <sickboy2all@aol.com> wrote:

>get an external hard drive. hook it up with a usb cable.

jd, you're stuttering. Or your news client is. Or your NSP is.
At any rate, this is the third time you said this. Separate
time-stamps on each.
--
OJ III
January 25, 2005 4:34:40 PM

"jd" <sickboy2all@aol.com> wrote in message
> get an external hard drive. hook it up with a usb cable.

Or they could get a second (dell) drive cage and any standard IDE1 cable
with two connects, or they could mount it in an open optical bay if they
have one:

http://tekgems.com/Products/35-to-525-drive-adapter-bra...

I'm looking at this option on a Dim4700 SATA machine where I need to bring
over an old IDE second drive....

Stew
January 26, 2005 11:44:01 PM

i was the one with the multiple postings up top. since taken care of,
of course. i remember also receiving an error message of some sort upon
initially trying to post. can't remember exactly what it said, but it
had something to do with the server being unable to blah blah blah, or
what have you. not much info, i know. but i thought i would chime in
since there seems to be discussion on the topic of duplicate postings.
and it was just a one line post, so i figure no harm no foul. anyway,
if it ever happens again i'll be sure to let it lie until i'm certain
about it one way or another. wouldn't want you all to miss out on my
always facsinating and oft times misguided and poorly informed
gibberish!! : )
Anonymous
January 27, 2005 1:57:35 AM

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 11:21:56 GMT, in
<35pcncF4q3786U2@individual.net>, ppnerkDELETETHIS@yahoo.com
(Phred) wrote:

>In article <kFKJd.97208$zy6.60510@bignews5.bellsouth.net>, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote:
>>News to me. I've never seen any information about OE multiple posting and it
>>sure never has for me.
>
>Here in Oz it was seen very commonly a year or three ago with folk
>using OE on the Bigpond news server. ISTR it had to do with not
>getting confirmation of the posting back to the user, so they just
>kept hitting "send".
>
>In one of the more extreme cases I noticed there were 10 or 12
>identical messages posted within a few minutes.

This happens when the settings in OE (or whatever) cause it to
time out before the server acknowledges receipt of the sent
message. The message is received by the server and sent on its
way, but from the user's perspective it was never accepted. So
he keeps hitting send until the server acknowledges and his
software then tells him the message is sent. The problem can be
too-short timeout settings in OE, but is much more likely to be
cause by a very sluggish server... and a user who ought to calm
down and learn a bit more about how this Internet thing really
works. ;-)
Anonymous
January 27, 2005 7:00:29 PM

On 26 Jan 2005 20:44:01 -0800, in
<1106801041.065667.256350@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>, "jd"
<sickboy2all@aol.com> wrote:

>i was the one with the multiple postings up top. since taken care of,
>of course. i remember also receiving an error message of some sort upon
>initially trying to post. can't remember exactly what it said, but it
>had something to do with the server being unable to blah blah blah, or
>what have you. not much info, i know. but i thought i would chime in
>since there seems to be discussion on the topic of duplicate postings.
>and it was just a one line post, so i figure no harm no foul. anyway,
>if it ever happens again i'll be sure to let it lie until i'm certain
>about it one way or another. wouldn't want you all to miss out on my
>always facsinating and oft times misguided and poorly informed
>gibberish!! : )

I'm sorry - I should have added that the original boo boo was no
big deal in the larger scheme of things. I didn't mean to make
it sound as negative as it did when I reread my own words.
Anonymous
January 27, 2005 7:00:30 PM

Jim Higgins <me7@privacy.net> wrote:

>"jd" <sickboy2all@aol.com> wrote:

>>i was the one with the multiple postings up top. since taken care of,
>>of course. i remember also receiving an error message of some sort upon
>>initially trying to post. can't remember exactly what it said, but it
>>had something to do with the server being unable to blah blah blah, or
>>what have you. not much info, i know. but i thought i would chime in
>>since there seems to be discussion on the topic of duplicate postings.
>>and it was just a one line post, so i figure no harm no foul. anyway,
>>if it ever happens again i'll be sure to let it lie until i'm certain
>>about it one way or another. wouldn't want you all to miss out on my
>>always facsinating and oft times misguided and poorly informed
>>gibberish!! : )

>I'm sorry - I should have added that the original boo boo was no
>big deal in the larger scheme of things. I didn't mean to make
>it sound as negative as it did when I reread my own words.

Nor did I, jd. My only intention was to let you know, in case
you only saw one. A prior ISP/NSP did that to me a couple of
times [one of the reasons they're a "prior"], multiple posted
something I'd posted only once, then canceled the duplicates,
leaving only one. Naturally, no other news admin observed their
cancels, but they did. Next time I got posts, I only saw one,
and was bewildered when someone let me know of the multiples.
Since that experience, I generally try to say something when I
see duplicates/multiples, in case the OP isn't seeing them.
--
OJ III
January 27, 2005 9:57:22 PM

Jim Higgins wrote:
> On 26 Jan 2005 20:44:01 -0800, in
> <1106801041.065667.256350@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>, "jd"
>
> I'm sorry - I should have added that the original boo boo was no
> big deal in the larger scheme of things. I didn't mean to make
> it sound as negative as it did when I reread my own words.

not at all. i'm never offended. love these boards. nice to know thier
are some gentlemen on them.
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 1:27:12 AM

>>>If you want a Dell, you pay the extra and get a "real" PC...

Yes, real PC's have no without room for a second HD AND no floppy drive!!
Feeling a bit bitter at the moment :)

Chris
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 2:33:20 AM

Chris Curtis wrote:

> Yes, real PC's have no without room for a second HD AND no floppy drive!!
> Feeling a bit bitter at the moment :)
>
> Chris

I've got a Dimension 8300 and I had no problem putting in a 2nd HDD....
There's 2x250GB SATA hard disks buzzing away nicely in there.

I didn't want a floppy drive. I had a floppy drive and a zip drive in my
last self-built PC and I used them at most 1/2 a dozen times in the
couple of years I had it. A total waste of money. Dell were the only
vendor that gave me the opportunity to *save money* by leaving them out
instead. I spent the money I saved on a 256MB USB stick instead (makes a
1.44MB floppy sound a bit weak, doesn't it?), which I keep on my key
ring and use frequently. If you wanted a floppy drive why didn't you
tick the box when you ordered?

Gary

--
Never argue with an idiot. He brings you down to his level, then beats you
with experience...

Gary, I have an 8400 with 2 SATA hard drives. I have to load drivers from a
floppy (Press F6 ...) when I run Ghost 9 and earlier versions of BartPE and
ERD Commander as bootable CD's. I couldn't run these apps without a floppy
drive.You may not have this software but has the absence of a floppy drive
caused any problems?

Brian

> I've got a Dimension 8300 and I had no problem putting in a 2nd HDD....
> There's 2x250GB SATA hard disks buzzing away nicely in there.
>
> I didn't want a floppy drive. I had a floppy drive and a zip drive in my
> last self-built PC and I used them at most 1/2 a dozen times in the couple
> of years I had it. A total waste of money. Dell were the only vendor that
> gave me the opportunity to *save money* by leaving them out instead. I
> spent the money I saved on a 256MB USB stick instead (makes a 1.44MB
> floppy sound a bit weak, doesn't it?), which I keep on my key ring and use
> frequently. If you wanted a floppy drive why didn't you tick the box when
> you ordered?
>
> Gary
>
> --
> Never argue with an idiot. He brings you down to his level, then beats
> you
> with experience...
> http://www.garypigott.net
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 5:30:45 PM

I spent the money I saved on a 256MB USB stick instead (makes a
> 1.44MB floppy sound a bit weak, doesn't it?), which I keep on my key ring
> and use frequently. If you wanted a floppy drive why didn't you tick the
> box when you ordered?
>
> Gary

FFS how much do you think a floppy drive costs Dell!!
And why do people always think they are used for storage/transferring?
What's the first thing W2000 asks for if you are (for instance installing a
scsi raid setup)?
What does Norton Ghost tell you to do if you can't save an image because
there are no spare primary partitions.
What does PartitionMagic strongly advise you to do after installation?
Emergency Repair Disks?

Now was one of the six times you used a floppy for any thing similar?
I didn't buy through Dell so I submit to your last point!

Chris

PS I now realise I've repeated Brian's post below!
Anonymous
January 29, 2005 4:09:55 AM

Chris Curtis wrote:
> I spent the money I saved on a 256MB USB stick instead (makes a
>
>>1.44MB floppy sound a bit weak, doesn't it?), which I keep on my key ring
>>and use frequently. If you wanted a floppy drive why didn't you tick the
>>box when you ordered?
>>
>>Gary
>>

> FFS how much do you think a floppy drive costs Dell!!
> And why do people always think they are used for storage/transferring?
> What's the first thing W2000 asks for if you are (for instance installing a
> scsi raid setup)?
> What does Norton Ghost tell you to do if you can't save an image because
> there are no spare primary partitions.
> What does PartitionMagic strongly advise you to do after installation?
> Emergency Repair Disks?
>
> Now was one of the six times you used a floppy for any thing similar?
> I didn't buy through Dell so I submit to your last point!
>
> Chris
>
> PS I now realise I've repeated Brian's post below!

I know how much they cost. They're about $10 to the trade. Dell pay less
of course. You can have an FDD if you want it.... it's an extra $26! Ask
nicely when you order over the phone and they'll throw it in for free.

Others such as HP don't give it to you for free you know. I'd rather
have the option of specifying a system without it if I want, rather than
have it included anyway and having the cost buried in the system price.

Dell's XP install CD already includes the correct SATA & RAID drivers
for my system, so I don't need a FDD for storage device drivers during
OS installs.

ERDs are a thing of the past for me. I use RestoreIT (see
http://www.farstone.com/home/ensite/products/rit.shtml), which takes an
incremental backup of my OS disk every day, so any catastrophic failure
that used to involve ERDs and OS repairs get fixed in a few minutes anyway.

Because of the above, *I* don't need a floppy. Dell gave me the
oppertunity to omit it, so I did. Your situation is different, and Dell
offer FDDs as an option to suit you too.

Gary

--
Never argue with an idiot. He brings you down to his level, then beats you
with experience...
http://www.garypigott.net
Anonymous
January 29, 2005 4:42:00 AM

Gary, I wonder whether Dell set up the SATA controller differently if there
is no floppy drive. I don't know. Is your controller AHCI?

Brian

> I know how much they cost. They're about $10 to the trade. Dell pay less
> of course. You can have an FDD if you want it.... it's an extra $26! Ask
> nicely when you order over the phone and they'll throw it in for free.
>
> Others such as HP don't give it to you for free you know. I'd rather have
> the option of specifying a system without it if I want, rather than have
> it included anyway and having the cost buried in the system price.
>
> Dell's XP install CD already includes the correct SATA & RAID drivers for
> my system, so I don't need a FDD for storage device drivers during OS
> installs.
>
> ERDs are a thing of the past for me. I use RestoreIT (see
> http://www.farstone.com/home/ensite/products/rit.shtml), which takes an
> incremental backup of my OS disk every day, so any catastrophic failure
> that used to involve ERDs and OS repairs get fixed in a few minutes
> anyway.
>
> Because of the above, *I* don't need a floppy. Dell gave me the
> oppertunity to omit it, so I did. Your situation is different, and Dell
> offer FDDs as an option to suit you too.
>

> Gary
>
> --
> Never argue with an idiot. He brings you down to his level, then beats
> you
> with experience...
> http://www.garypigott.net
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 5:23:56 PM

Brian K wrote:
>>I know how much they cost. They're about $10 to the trade. Dell pay less
>>of course. You can have an FDD if you want it.... it's an extra $26! Ask
>>nicely when you order over the phone and they'll throw it in for free.
>>
>>Others such as HP don't give it to you for free you know. I'd rather have
>>the option of specifying a system without it if I want, rather than have
>>it included anyway and having the cost buried in the system price.
>>
>>Dell's XP install CD already includes the correct SATA & RAID drivers for
>>my system, so I don't need a FDD for storage device drivers during OS
>>installs.
>>
>>ERDs are a thing of the past for me. I use RestoreIT (see
>>http://www.farstone.com/home/ensite/products/rit.shtml), which takes an
>>incremental backup of my OS disk every day, so any catastrophic failure
>>that used to involve ERDs and OS repairs get fixed in a few minutes
>>anyway.
>>
>>Because of the above, *I* don't need a floppy. Dell gave me the
>>oppertunity to omit it, so I did. Your situation is different, and Dell
>>offer FDDs as an option to suit you too.
>>

>>Gary
>>
>>--
>>Never argue with an idiot. He brings you down to his level, then beats
>>you
>>with experience...
>>http://www.garypigott.net
>

> Gary, I wonder whether Dell set up the SATA controller differently if
there
> is no floppy drive. I don't know. Is your controller AHCI?
>
> Brian

Dunno... It's immaterial anyway right now. 2K & XP load additional
drivers from *two* locations, 1. the FDD and 2. the "DRIVERS" folder on
the XP CD. This allows Dell to drop essential drivers onto their CDs so
the user doesn't need a FDD.

Gary
--
Never argue with an idiot. He brings you down to his level, then beats you
with experience...
http://www.garypigott.net
Anonymous
January 31, 2005 12:49:29 AM

I was just interested to hear if Dell use a different controller for
non-floppy systems. It may be the same.

Could you check Device Manager, click the + on IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers. Is
there an entry with AHCI in the line?

Thanks Gary,

Brian

> Dunno... It's immaterial anyway right now. 2K & XP load additional drivers
> from *two* locations, 1. the FDD and 2. the "DRIVERS" folder on the XP CD.
> This allows Dell to drop essential drivers onto their CDs so the user
> doesn't need a FDD.
>
> Gary
> --
> Never argue with an idiot. He brings you down to his level, then beats
> you
> with experience...
> http://www.garypigott.net
Anonymous
January 31, 2005 12:49:30 AM

"Brian K" <iibntgyea4 REMOVE_THIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> I was just interested to hear if Dell use a different controller for
> non-floppy systems. It may be the same.
>
> Could you check Device Manager, click the + on IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers.
> Is there an entry with AHCI in the line?
>
> Thanks Gary,
>
> Brian

Same boards on systems with or without floppy drives. Floppy controller
remains in either case.

Stew
Anonymous
January 31, 2005 4:04:34 AM

This is not the floppy controller.

> Same boards on systems with or without floppy drives. Floppy controller
> remains in either case.
>

> Stew

Anonymous
January 31, 2005 4:04:35 AM

> This is not the floppy controller.

I'm sorry, Brian, as I came in very late. Promise controller is the same on
all 8400 boards.

Stew
Anonymous
January 31, 2005 6:36:56 AM

Thanks Stew but I think that AHCI mode may be either ON or OFF.

Brian

> "Brian K" <iibntgyea4 REMOVE_THIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> This is not the floppy controller.
>>

> I'm sorry, Brian, as I came in very late. Promise controller is the same
> on all 8400 boards.
>

> Stew

Anonymous
January 31, 2005 8:56:24 AM

> Thanks Stew but I think that AHCI mode may be either ON or OFF.
>
> Brian

You are correct sir.

Stew
Anonymous
January 31, 2005 11:13:50 PM

Do you know if Dell turn on AHCI for computers without floppy drives Stew?

Brian

> "Brian K" <iibntgyea4 REMOVE_THIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Thanks Stew but I think that AHCI mode may be either ON or OFF.
>>
>> Brian
>>

> You are correct sir.
>

> Stew

Anonymous
January 31, 2005 11:13:51 PM

> Do you know if Dell turn on AHCI for computers without floppy drives Stew?
>
> Brian

Brian,

That's a great question that I've not seen - and I really don't know - and
additionally, there appears to be three options for the drive (SATA)
controller for RAID:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim8400/S...

I've seen 8400's with and without RAID (using multiple drives - and with or
without floppy drives), and as of yet I've not cracked the BIOS to
specifically see what the "drive controller" default setting is for a
multiple-SATA 8400 with no floppy.

Is your system RAID or non-RAID? (Sorry, I attempted to scan the entire
thread to see what your config. was, but am not sure).

I'm trying to recover from reading the Intel white paper on AHCI and the
SATA 1.0 spec at the moment....

Stew
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 4:19:49 AM

Stew, you are a few steps ahead of me. I gave up after the first line of
that white paper.

I have dual SATA drives. No RAID.

My question is: Can a computer boot a CD without needing SATA drivers if one
has dual SATA drives without a floppy drive and AHCI turned off? I'm not
talking about the Dell CD which does contain the drivers but say Ghost 9
which doesn't have the drivers. The latter boots, but if you don't use
"Press F6" etc, you can't see any of the hard drives.

Brian

> I've seen 8400's with and without RAID (using multiple drives - and with
> or without floppy drives), and as of yet I've not cracked the BIOS to
> specifically see what the "drive controller" default setting is for a
> multiple-SATA 8400 with no floppy.
>
> Is your system RAID or non-RAID? (Sorry, I attempted to scan the entire
> thread to see what your config. was, but am not sure).
>
> I'm trying to recover from reading the Intel white paper on AHCI and the
> SATA 1.0 spec at the moment....
>

> Stew

Anonymous
February 1, 2005 4:28:57 AM

I'm still hoping that Gary will let us know his AHCI status.

Brian
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 1:03:45 PM

Brian K wrote:
> I'm still hoping that Gary will let us know his AHCI status.
>
> Brian

How do I find out?

Gary

--
Never argue with an idiot. He brings you down to his level, then beats you
with experience...
http://www.garypigott.net
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 2:13:45 PM

Try this Gary,

Right click My Computer, Properties, Hardware tab, Device Manager, click
the + on IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers. Is
there an entry with AHCI in the line?

Brian

"
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 3:09:46 PM

Yes, they do. The driver is now included on Dell's XP CD with SP2 so no
floppy is required.

"Brian K" <iibntgyea4 REMOVE_THIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Do you know if Dell turn on AHCI for computers without floppy drives Stew?
>
> Brian
>

> "S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Brian K" <iibntgyea4 REMOVE_THIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Thanks Stew but I think that AHCI mode may be either ON or OFF.
>>>
>>> Brian
>>>

>> You are correct sir.
>>

>> Stew

Anonymous
February 2, 2005 7:37:15 PM

> Yes, they do. The driver is now included on Dell's XP CD with SP2 so no
> floppy is required.

I was wondering where you were in this thread. I was fixing to *ping* you.
Thanks WSZsr.....

Stew
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 2:47:58 AM