How do I add a second hard drive to Dimension PC??

I want to add a second hard drive to this PC, but there appears to be only
one spot (taken up by the original hard drive). It's mounted in a bracket
vertically, near the very front of the case. There doesn't appear to be any
other spots to put it aside from finding another bracket like it, and
fitting it in there too somehow. I think it's a dimension 3000

What can I do?

::
35 answers Last reply
More about hard drive dimension

    Try this;
    http://www.issue-resolved.com/

    "emocean" <emocean@XhotmailX.com> wrote in message
    >I want to add a second hard drive to this PC, but there appears to be
    >only
    > one spot (taken up by the original hard drive). It's mounted in a
    > bracket
    > vertically, near the very front of the case. There doesn't appear to
    > be any
    > other spots to put it aside from finding another bracket like it, and
    > fitting it in there too somehow. I think it's a dimension 3000
    >
    > What can I do?
    >
    > ::

    > What can I do?

    Zip ties / meccano :-}

    get an external hard drive. hook it up with a usb cable.

    "jd" <sickboy2all@aol.com> wrote:
    > but wouldn't an external suffice, as i suggested. or is this not a
    > desireable set up?

    External USB 2.0 and FireWire drives are slow when compared
    to ATA drives, and they run hot due to having only convection
    cooling. I also discovered that an ATA drive would fit in my Zip
    drive space, but I'd have to install some sort of fan because of
    the close fit.

    *TimDan*

    "jd" <sickboy2all@aol.com> wrote:

    >get an external hard drive. hook it up with a usb cable.

    jd, you're stuttering. Or your news client is. Or your NSP is.
    At any rate, this is the third time you said this. Separate
    time-stamps on each.
    --
    OJ III

    "jd" <sickboy2all@aol.com> wrote in message
    > get an external hard drive. hook it up with a usb cable.

    Or they could get a second (dell) drive cage and any standard IDE1 cable
    with two connects, or they could mount it in an open optical bay if they
    have one:

    http://tekgems.com/Products/35-to-525-drive-adapter-bracket.htm

    I'm looking at this option on a Dim4700 SATA machine where I need to bring
    over an old IDE second drive....

    Stew

    i was the one with the multiple postings up top. since taken care of,
    of course. i remember also receiving an error message of some sort upon
    initially trying to post. can't remember exactly what it said, but it
    had something to do with the server being unable to blah blah blah, or
    what have you. not much info, i know. but i thought i would chime in
    since there seems to be discussion on the topic of duplicate postings.
    and it was just a one line post, so i figure no harm no foul. anyway,
    if it ever happens again i'll be sure to let it lie until i'm certain
    about it one way or another. wouldn't want you all to miss out on my
    always facsinating and oft times misguided and poorly informed
    gibberish!! : )

    On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 11:21:56 GMT, in
    <35pcncF4q3786U2@individual.net>, ppnerkDELETETHIS@yahoo.com
    (Phred) wrote:

    >In article <kFKJd.97208$zy6.60510@bignews5.bellsouth.net>, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote:
    >>News to me. I've never seen any information about OE multiple posting and it
    >>sure never has for me.
    >
    >Here in Oz it was seen very commonly a year or three ago with folk
    >using OE on the Bigpond news server. ISTR it had to do with not
    >getting confirmation of the posting back to the user, so they just
    >kept hitting "send".
    >
    >In one of the more extreme cases I noticed there were 10 or 12
    >identical messages posted within a few minutes.

    This happens when the settings in OE (or whatever) cause it to
    time out before the server acknowledges receipt of the sent
    message. The message is received by the server and sent on its
    way, but from the user's perspective it was never accepted. So
    he keeps hitting send until the server acknowledges and his
    software then tells him the message is sent. The problem can be
    too-short timeout settings in OE, but is much more likely to be
    cause by a very sluggish server... and a user who ought to calm
    down and learn a bit more about how this Internet thing really
    works. ;-)

    On 26 Jan 2005 20:44:01 -0800, in
    <1106801041.065667.256350@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>, "jd"
    <sickboy2all@aol.com> wrote:

    >i was the one with the multiple postings up top. since taken care of,
    >of course. i remember also receiving an error message of some sort upon
    >initially trying to post. can't remember exactly what it said, but it
    >had something to do with the server being unable to blah blah blah, or
    >what have you. not much info, i know. but i thought i would chime in
    >since there seems to be discussion on the topic of duplicate postings.
    >and it was just a one line post, so i figure no harm no foul. anyway,
    >if it ever happens again i'll be sure to let it lie until i'm certain
    >about it one way or another. wouldn't want you all to miss out on my
    >always facsinating and oft times misguided and poorly informed
    >gibberish!! : )

    I'm sorry - I should have added that the original boo boo was no
    big deal in the larger scheme of things. I didn't mean to make
    it sound as negative as it did when I reread my own words.

    Jim Higgins <me7@privacy.net> wrote:

    >"jd" <sickboy2all@aol.com> wrote:

    >>i was the one with the multiple postings up top. since taken care of,
    >>of course. i remember also receiving an error message of some sort upon
    >>initially trying to post. can't remember exactly what it said, but it
    >>had something to do with the server being unable to blah blah blah, or
    >>what have you. not much info, i know. but i thought i would chime in
    >>since there seems to be discussion on the topic of duplicate postings.
    >>and it was just a one line post, so i figure no harm no foul. anyway,
    >>if it ever happens again i'll be sure to let it lie until i'm certain
    >>about it one way or another. wouldn't want you all to miss out on my
    >>always facsinating and oft times misguided and poorly informed
    >>gibberish!! : )

    >I'm sorry - I should have added that the original boo boo was no
    >big deal in the larger scheme of things. I didn't mean to make
    >it sound as negative as it did when I reread my own words.

    Nor did I, jd. My only intention was to let you know, in case
    you only saw one. A prior ISP/NSP did that to me a couple of
    times [one of the reasons they're a "prior"], multiple posted
    something I'd posted only once, then canceled the duplicates,
    leaving only one. Naturally, no other news admin observed their
    cancels, but they did. Next time I got posts, I only saw one,
    and was bewildered when someone let me know of the multiples.
    Since that experience, I generally try to say something when I
    see duplicates/multiples, in case the OP isn't seeing them.
    --
    OJ III

    Jim Higgins wrote:
    > On 26 Jan 2005 20:44:01 -0800, in
    > <1106801041.065667.256350@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>, "jd"
    >
    > I'm sorry - I should have added that the original boo boo was no
    > big deal in the larger scheme of things. I didn't mean to make
    > it sound as negative as it did when I reread my own words.

    not at all. i'm never offended. love these boards. nice to know thier
    are some gentlemen on them.

    >>>If you want a Dell, you pay the extra and get a "real" PC...

    Yes, real PC's have no without room for a second HD AND no floppy drive!!
    Feeling a bit bitter at the moment :)

    Chris

    Chris Curtis wrote:

    > Yes, real PC's have no without room for a second HD AND no floppy drive!!
    > Feeling a bit bitter at the moment :)
    >
    > Chris

    I've got a Dimension 8300 and I had no problem putting in a 2nd HDD....
    There's 2x250GB SATA hard disks buzzing away nicely in there.

    I didn't want a floppy drive. I had a floppy drive and a zip drive in my
    last self-built PC and I used them at most 1/2 a dozen times in the
    couple of years I had it. A total waste of money. Dell were the only
    vendor that gave me the opportunity to *save money* by leaving them out
    instead. I spent the money I saved on a 256MB USB stick instead (makes a
    1.44MB floppy sound a bit weak, doesn't it?), which I keep on my key
    ring and use frequently. If you wanted a floppy drive why didn't you
    tick the box when you ordered?

    Gary

    --
    Never argue with an idiot. He brings you down to his level, then beats you
    with experience...

    Gary, I have an 8400 with 2 SATA hard drives. I have to load drivers from a
    floppy (Press F6 ...) when I run Ghost 9 and earlier versions of BartPE and
    ERD Commander as bootable CD's. I couldn't run these apps without a floppy
    drive.You may not have this software but has the absence of a floppy drive
    caused any problems?

    Brian

    > I've got a Dimension 8300 and I had no problem putting in a 2nd HDD....
    > There's 2x250GB SATA hard disks buzzing away nicely in there.
    >
    > I didn't want a floppy drive. I had a floppy drive and a zip drive in my
    > last self-built PC and I used them at most 1/2 a dozen times in the couple
    > of years I had it. A total waste of money. Dell were the only vendor that
    > gave me the opportunity to *save money* by leaving them out instead. I
    > spent the money I saved on a 256MB USB stick instead (makes a 1.44MB
    > floppy sound a bit weak, doesn't it?), which I keep on my key ring and use
    > frequently. If you wanted a floppy drive why didn't you tick the box when
    > you ordered?
    >
    > Gary
    >
    > --
    > Never argue with an idiot. He brings you down to his level, then beats
    > you
    > with experience...
    > http://www.garypigott.net

    I spent the money I saved on a 256MB USB stick instead (makes a
    > 1.44MB floppy sound a bit weak, doesn't it?), which I keep on my key ring
    > and use frequently. If you wanted a floppy drive why didn't you tick the
    > box when you ordered?
    >
    > Gary

    FFS how much do you think a floppy drive costs Dell!!
    And why do people always think they are used for storage/transferring?
    What's the first thing W2000 asks for if you are (for instance installing a
    scsi raid setup)?
    What does Norton Ghost tell you to do if you can't save an image because
    there are no spare primary partitions.
    What does PartitionMagic strongly advise you to do after installation?
    Emergency Repair Disks?

    Now was one of the six times you used a floppy for any thing similar?
    I didn't buy through Dell so I submit to your last point!

    Chris

    PS I now realise I've repeated Brian's post below!

    Chris Curtis wrote:
    > I spent the money I saved on a 256MB USB stick instead (makes a
    >
    >>1.44MB floppy sound a bit weak, doesn't it?), which I keep on my key ring
    >>and use frequently. If you wanted a floppy drive why didn't you tick the
    >>box when you ordered?
    >>
    >>Gary
    >>

    > FFS how much do you think a floppy drive costs Dell!!
    > And why do people always think they are used for storage/transferring?
    > What's the first thing W2000 asks for if you are (for instance installing a
    > scsi raid setup)?
    > What does Norton Ghost tell you to do if you can't save an image because
    > there are no spare primary partitions.
    > What does PartitionMagic strongly advise you to do after installation?
    > Emergency Repair Disks?
    >
    > Now was one of the six times you used a floppy for any thing similar?
    > I didn't buy through Dell so I submit to your last point!
    >
    > Chris
    >
    > PS I now realise I've repeated Brian's post below!

    I know how much they cost. They're about $10 to the trade. Dell pay less
    of course. You can have an FDD if you want it.... it's an extra $26! Ask
    nicely when you order over the phone and they'll throw it in for free.

    Others such as HP don't give it to you for free you know. I'd rather
    have the option of specifying a system without it if I want, rather than
    have it included anyway and having the cost buried in the system price.

    Dell's XP install CD already includes the correct SATA & RAID drivers
    for my system, so I don't need a FDD for storage device drivers during
    OS installs.

    ERDs are a thing of the past for me. I use RestoreIT (see
    http://www.farstone.com/home/ensite/products/rit.shtml), which takes an
    incremental backup of my OS disk every day, so any catastrophic failure
    that used to involve ERDs and OS repairs get fixed in a few minutes anyway.

    Because of the above, *I* don't need a floppy. Dell gave me the
    oppertunity to omit it, so I did. Your situation is different, and Dell
    offer FDDs as an option to suit you too.

    Gary

    --
    Never argue with an idiot. He brings you down to his level, then beats you
    with experience...
    http://www.garypigott.net

    Gary, I wonder whether Dell set up the SATA controller differently if there
    is no floppy drive. I don't know. Is your controller AHCI?

    Brian

    Brian K wrote:
    >>I know how much they cost. They're about $10 to the trade. Dell pay less
    >>of course. You can have an FDD if you want it.... it's an extra $26! Ask
    >>nicely when you order over the phone and they'll throw it in for free.
    >>
    >>Others such as HP don't give it to you for free you know. I'd rather have
    >>the option of specifying a system without it if I want, rather than have
    >>it included anyway and having the cost buried in the system price.
    >>
    >>Dell's XP install CD already includes the correct SATA & RAID drivers for
    >>my system, so I don't need a FDD for storage device drivers during OS
    >>installs.
    >>
    >>ERDs are a thing of the past for me. I use RestoreIT (see
    >>http://www.farstone.com/home/ensite/products/rit.shtml), which takes an
    >>incremental backup of my OS disk every day, so any catastrophic failure
    >>that used to involve ERDs and OS repairs get fixed in a few minutes
    >>anyway.
    >>
    >>Because of the above, *I* don't need a floppy. Dell gave me the
    >>oppertunity to omit it, so I did. Your situation is different, and Dell
    >>offer FDDs as an option to suit you too.
    >>

    >>Gary
    >>
    >>--
    >>Never argue with an idiot. He brings you down to his level, then beats
    >>you
    >>with experience...
    >>http://www.garypigott.net
    >

    > Gary, I wonder whether Dell set up the SATA controller differently if
    there
    > is no floppy drive. I don't know. Is your controller AHCI?
    >
    > Brian

    Dunno... It's immaterial anyway right now. 2K & XP load additional
    drivers from *two* locations, 1. the FDD and 2. the "DRIVERS" folder on
    the XP CD. This allows Dell to drop essential drivers onto their CDs so
    the user doesn't need a FDD.

    Gary
    --
    Never argue with an idiot. He brings you down to his level, then beats you
    with experience...
    http://www.garypigott.net

    I was just interested to hear if Dell use a different controller for
    non-floppy systems. It may be the same.

    Could you check Device Manager, click the + on IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers. Is
    there an entry with AHCI in the line?

    Thanks Gary,

    "Brian K" <iibntgyea4 REMOVE_THIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > I was just interested to hear if Dell use a different controller for
    > non-floppy systems. It may be the same.
    >
    > Could you check Device Manager, click the + on IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers.
    > Is there an entry with AHCI in the line?
    >
    > Thanks Gary,
    >
    > Brian

    Same boards on systems with or without floppy drives. Floppy controller
    remains in either case.

    Stew

    This is not the floppy controller.

    > This is not the floppy controller.

    I'm sorry, Brian, as I came in very late. Promise controller is the same on
    all 8400 boards.

    Stew

    Thanks Stew but I think that AHCI mode may be either ON or OFF.

    Brian

    > "Brian K" <iibntgyea4 REMOVE_THIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> This is not the floppy controller.
    >>

    > I'm sorry, Brian, as I came in very late. Promise controller is the same
    > on all 8400 boards.
    >

    > Stew

  26. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    > Thanks Stew but I think that AHCI mode may be either ON or OFF.
    >
    > Brian

    You are correct sir.

    Stew
  27. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Do you know if Dell turn on AHCI for computers without floppy drives Stew?

    Brian

    > "Brian K" <iibntgyea4 REMOVE_THIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Thanks Stew but I think that AHCI mode may be either ON or OFF.
    >>
    >> Brian
    >>

    > You are correct sir.
    >

    > Stew

  28. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    > Do you know if Dell turn on AHCI for computers without floppy drives Stew?
    >
    > Brian

    Brian,

    That's a great question that I've not seen - and I really don't know - and
    additionally, there appears to be three options for the drive (SATA)
    controller for RAID:

    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim8400/SM/syssetup.htm#wp1052309

    I've seen 8400's with and without RAID (using multiple drives - and with or
    without floppy drives), and as of yet I've not cracked the BIOS to
    specifically see what the "drive controller" default setting is for a
    multiple-SATA 8400 with no floppy.

    Is your system RAID or non-RAID? (Sorry, I attempted to scan the entire
    thread to see what your config. was, but am not sure).

    I'm trying to recover from reading the Intel white paper on AHCI and the
    SATA 1.0 spec at the moment....

    Stew
  29. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Stew, you are a few steps ahead of me. I gave up after the first line of
    that white paper.

    I have dual SATA drives. No RAID.

    My question is: Can a computer boot a CD without needing SATA drivers if one
    has dual SATA drives without a floppy drive and AHCI turned off? I'm not
    talking about the Dell CD which does contain the drivers but say Ghost 9
    which doesn't have the drivers. The latter boots, but if you don't use
    "Press F6" etc, you can't see any of the hard drives.

    Brian

    > I've seen 8400's with and without RAID (using multiple drives - and with
    > or without floppy drives), and as of yet I've not cracked the BIOS to
    > specifically see what the "drive controller" default setting is for a
    > multiple-SATA 8400 with no floppy.
    >
    > Is your system RAID or non-RAID? (Sorry, I attempted to scan the entire
    > thread to see what your config. was, but am not sure).
    >
    > I'm trying to recover from reading the Intel white paper on AHCI and the
    > SATA 1.0 spec at the moment....
    >

    > Stew

  30. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    I'm still hoping that Gary will let us know his AHCI status.

    Brian
  31. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Brian K wrote:
    > I'm still hoping that Gary will let us know his AHCI status.
    >
    > Brian

    How do I find out?

    Gary

    --
    Never argue with an idiot. He brings you down to his level, then beats you
    with experience...
    http://www.garypigott.net
  32. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Try this Gary,

    Right click My Computer, Properties, Hardware tab, Device Manager, click
    the + on IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers. Is
    there an entry with AHCI in the line?

    Brian

    "
  33. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Yes, they do. The driver is now included on Dell's XP CD with SP2 so no
    floppy is required.

    "Brian K" <iibntgyea4 REMOVE_THIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Do you know if Dell turn on AHCI for computers without floppy drives Stew?
    >
    > Brian
    >

    > "S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Brian K" <iibntgyea4 REMOVE_THIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> Thanks Stew but I think that AHCI mode may be either ON or OFF.
    >>>
    >>> Brian
    >>>

    >> You are correct sir.
    >>

    >> Stew

  34. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    > Yes, they do. The driver is now included on Dell's XP CD with SP2 so no
    > floppy is required.

    I was wondering where you were in this thread. I was fixing to *ping* you.
    Thanks WSZsr.....

    Stew
  35. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Little slow this month.......

    > "WSZsr" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Yes, they do. The driver is now included on Dell's XP CD with SP2 so no
    >> floppy is required.
    >>

    > I was wondering where you were in this thread. I was fixing to *ping*
    > you. Thanks WSZsr.....
    >

    > Stew

Dell Hard Drives Dimension Computers