cannot update virus program due to dropping connection

for some reason over the last few days i have not been able to update
anything due to internet connection dropping when i am on. Websites and
everything. Roadrunner said my modem is fine and it is in my firewall. They
told me to close my firewall.
Does this mean turn it off????? I run windows xp and reset to default the
firewall settings and even excepted the virus program to not be blocked.
Still nothing. Can someone help me.

Go to Control Panel>Windows Firewall. Double Click and turn it off until
your antivirus updates are installed.