Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading my card....

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 8, 2003 5:30:58 AM

Hey all!! Looking for some info here on upgrading my vid card. I currently have a Radeon 9000 Pro and am looking at the 9600 XT am I going to see a great amount of difference in this change? Also I had seen the 9600 SE how comparible is that to what I have now or the XT? I'm having a hard time finding the info on this and any help will be much appreciated.

happiness is a temporary chemical imbalance of the true state of mind

More about : upgrading card

December 8, 2003 8:55:46 AM

It's hard to say without budget info, but I just got my Radeon 9600XT and the performance is not bad. I would recommend avoiding SE cards as they really offer nothing worth the cash. You might as well buy a ferarri with no gearstick.
Check www.ati.com if you want to know the specific differences between the Radeon cards.
December 8, 2003 11:57:22 AM

You'll notice a nice jump in performance from a 9000 pro->9600 xt upgrade. You are going from the budget card to the high end of the middle range cards. The 9600 se is a piece of crap, se means sh!t edition, never buy se. :p 

Shadus
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
December 8, 2003 8:30:41 PM

In addition to the above you might be better off with an R9600Pro if you can make significant savings on it (25+). They are pretty close in performance (well, when compared to the R9000P).

Also most of the XTs come with a coupon for HL2, so you may want to factor that into your decision if you want that game when it comes out.

Just a thought.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil: 

<b>-NEW PIC IN THGC ALBUM-</b>
December 8, 2003 8:35:06 PM

absolutely, no reason not to save a few bucks down the road. Plus the 9600XT is a good card!

AMD 2500+, 1gb DDR333, Radeon 9800 Pro, Audigy 2. Yummy...
!