How to enable the summary tab for folders

I need to add comments to my folders. I found out that I need to add them in
the summary tab of the folder properties. However i dont find the summary tab
when i right click the folder and say properties. How do i enable the summary
tab ? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Normally Folder Properties doesn't have the Summary tab, only File
Properties has the Summary tab.

Except....
OL2000: (CW) Permission Tab and Summary Tab Missing
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;196341

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:0CF5BFBE-E80E-4CCF-97CB-4CB21F58331B@microsoft.com,
Agninatha <Agninatha@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> I need to add comments to my folders. I found out that I need to add
> them in the summary tab of the folder properties. However i dont find
> the summary tab when i right click the folder and say properties. How
> do i enable the summary tab ? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks Wesley,
I had been thro this link. It talks more about Microsoft outlook folders and
not general Windows folders.

Also i found out that the only way to put in comments for folders is to
share them.
The share tab has a comment field. Thats what got me started on the whole
thing. I saw a comment alongside one of my friends folders and wanted to do
it for myself too. But now the only way left is to share my folders too. :(

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> Normally Folder Properties doesn't have the Summary tab, only File
> Properties has the Summary tab.
>
> Except....
> OL2000: (CW) Permission Tab and Summary Tab Missing
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;196341
>

> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:0CF5BFBE-E80E-4CCF-97CB-4CB21F58331B@microsoft.com,
> Agninatha <Agninatha@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > I need to add comments to my folders. I found out that I need to add
> > them in the summary tab of the folder properties. However i dont find
> > the summary tab when i right click the folder and say properties. How
> > do i enable the summary tab ? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Agninatha,

Yep. Shared Folders...

[[To add a comment about the shared folder or drive, type the text in
the Comment box. ]]
How to disable simplified sharing and set permissions on a shared folder
in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307874

You can share your folders with me. :cool:

I found a way if you want to put up with the pop-ups.

Select these options in Folder Options...
Start | Run | Type: control folders | Click OK |
View tab | Select:
? Show pop-up description for folder and desktop items
and
? Display File Size Information In Folder Tips | Click Apply | Click OK

Show pop-up description for folder and desktop items
[[Specifies that a description of a selected folder or desktop item is
displayed in a pop-up window. When you select this check box, the pop-up
description appears even if Web content is not enabled on your desktop
or in folders.]]

[[You can add a detailed explanation about the folder's contents to the
pop-up by creating a Desktop.ini file, which is a straight text file,
and adding a special entry to it. In order for this technique to work,
you have to assign an icon to the folder. Here's how:

1. Right-click the folder and select Properties.
2. From the Properties dialog box, select the Customize tab, and then
click the Change Icon button.
3. In the Change Icon dialog box, select an icon from the selections
and click OK.
4. Click OK to close the Properties dialog box.
5. Open the folder, locate the Desktop.ini file, and double-click it.
6. Add InfoTip= to the end of the Desktop.ini file.
7. Type your detailed description immediately after the = sign.
8. Go to File | Save and close Notepad.

You'll see your detailed pop-up description the next time you mouse over
that folder. ]]

Add detailed pop-up descriptions to folder icons in Windows XP
http://techrepublic.com.com/5100-10590_11-5587642.html

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:C1C92110-2C30-481C-93F4-2BF0A83CA264@microsoft.com,
Agninatha <Agninatha@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> Thanks Wesley,
> I had been thro this link. It talks more about Microsoft outlook
> folders and not general Windows folders.
>
> Also i found out that the only way to put in comments for folders is
> to share them.
> The share tab has a comment field. Thats what got me started on the
> whole thing. I saw a comment alongside one of my friends folders and
> wanted to do it for myself too. But now the only way left is to share
> my folders too. :(
>
> "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
>
>> Normally Folder Properties doesn't have the Summary tab, only File
>> Properties has the Summary tab.
>>
>> Except....
>> OL2000: (CW) Permission Tab and Summary Tab Missing
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;196341
>>

>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:0CF5BFBE-E80E-4CCF-97CB-4CB21F58331B@microsoft.com,
>> Agninatha <Agninatha@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
>>> I need to add comments to my folders. I found out that I need to add
>>> them in the summary tab of the folder properties. However i dont
>>> find the summary tab when i right click the folder and say
>>> properties. How do i enable the summary tab ? Any help is greatly
>>> appreciated.

Had been thro this link also. Its after all this i came here.
My reqmt is pretty stringent. Anyways im managing by sharing all the folders
and using my own network path to see the comments. Was not a easy thing to do.

Thanks for all the help.

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> [...]
>
> In news:C1C92110-2C30-481C-93F4-2BF0A83CA264@microsoft.com,
> Agninatha <Agninatha@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > Thanks Wesley,
> > I had been thro this link. It talks more about Microsoft outlook
> > folders and not general Windows folders.
> >
> > Also i found out that the only way to put in comments for folders is
> > to share them.
> > The share tab has a comment field. Thats what got me started on the
> > whole thing. I saw a comment alongside one of my friends folders and
> > wanted to do it for myself too. But now the only way left is to share
> > my folders too. :(
> >
> > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
> >
> >> Normally Folder Properties doesn't have the Summary tab, only File
> >> Properties has the Summary tab.
> >>
> >> Except....
> >> OL2000: (CW) Permission Tab and Summary Tab Missing

Check back here over the next week or so, maybe someone will post
something that'll help.

Keep having fun. :)

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:4FBA1EA6-1BD7-4995-944B-316A1093F9E3@microsoft.com,
> [...]
>> over that folder. ]]
>>
>> Add detailed pop-up descriptions to folder icons in Windows XP
>> http://techrepublic.com.com/5100-10590_11-5587642.html
>>

>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:C1C92110-2C30-481C-93F4-2BF0A83CA264@microsoft.com,
>> Agninatha <Agninatha@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
>>> Thanks Wesley,
>>> I had been thro this link. It talks more about Microsoft outlook
>>> folders and not general Windows folders.
>>>
>>> Also i found out that the only way to put in comments for folders is
>>> to share them.
>>> The share tab has a comment field. Thats what got me started on the
>>> whole thing. I saw a comment alongside one of my friends folders
>>> and wanted to do it for myself too. But now the only way left is to

The Summary tab only appears with certain types of file and not folders.

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FCA

Using invalid email address

Stourport, Worcs, England
Enquire, plan and execute.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please tell the newsgroup how any
suggested solution worked for you.

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Agninatha" <Agninatha@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I need to add comments to my folders. I found out that I need to add
>them in
> the summary tab of the folder properties. However i dont find the
> summary tab
> when i right click the folder and say properties. How do i enable the
> summary
> tab ? Any help is greatly appreciated.

When a folder is in the right pane of Explorer, you will note that a hover on the folder will popup a summary of the first few files
contained in the folder. Create a blank file in that folder with a name that is the summary, using a character to start the filename
that is first in the alphanumeric sort.

Folders don't show summary tabs in the Properties dialog

--

Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509