XP will not load; help backing up data

March 31, 2005 3:47:03 PM

I inadvertently posted this on the XP Media Center Ed newsgroup - reposting
here for help.

After powering on laptop, black screen says that windows could not load. No
specific error messages are given. Msg says it could be due to a recent
power failure or improper shutdown, but I am certain neither of these is the
case. Options are to boot in safe mode, last known good configuration, or
start windows normally. When I choose safe mode, some file names scroll down
the screen, then it hangs and does nothing. If I choose last known good
configuration or to start normally, I get a blank screen that does nothing.
I can't locate my XP setup disk, but I'm still looking. I keep reading bad
things about OEM installations - XP was installed by OEM, so even if I find
my disk, am I going to be able to do system restore and/or fresh install???

Biggest conern is that I have a lot of digital pictures on my HD that I need
to back up! Can anyone suggest any ways to do this, assuming system restore
does not work?

A coworker suggested that I try to get to a command prompt and then copy the
files to a non-windows directory, so that I could reinstall windows and
hopefully not overwrite the files. Will this work? I can't seem to figure
out how to get to a command prompt though without my set up CD - any
suggestions?

Thanks for any suggestions!

More about : load backing data

Anonymous
March 31, 2005 8:05:05 PM

Hi
I had major problems only last week with my computer to the point that i
couldnt get into windows either. I run windows xp home edition (pre
installed). I had to reinstall my computer back to factory mode meaning the
way it was when i first brought it home. by doing this you DO NOT lose your
pictures, although any programs you have downloaded or installed you will
lose, but all files will still be there. As i lost my kodak program but all
of my pictures are still there.
Im not sure if this is the best option for you but if you need to do this
please let me know - if your willing to re install all extra programs you
have installed since you brought your computer.
the only files that i have missing from my computer are my email files which
was expected but all music, photos, clips and everything i still have :)

"wendellg85" wrote:

> I inadvertently posted this on the XP Media Center Ed newsgroup - reposting
> here for help.
>
> After powering on laptop, black screen says that windows could not load. No
> specific error messages are given. Msg says it could be due to a recent
> power failure or improper shutdown, but I am certain neither of these is the
> case. Options are to boot in safe mode, last known good configuration, or
> start windows normally. When I choose safe mode, some file names scroll down
> the screen, then it hangs and does nothing. If I choose last known good
> configuration or to start normally, I get a blank screen that does nothing.
> I can't locate my XP setup disk, but I'm still looking. I keep reading bad
> things about OEM installations - XP was installed by OEM, so even if I find
> my disk, am I going to be able to do system restore and/or fresh install???
>
> Biggest conern is that I have a lot of digital pictures on my HD that I need
> to back up! Can anyone suggest any ways to do this, assuming system restore
> does not work?
>
> A coworker suggested that I try to get to a command prompt and then copy the
> files to a non-windows directory, so that I could reinstall windows and
> hopefully not overwrite the files. Will this work? I can't seem to figure
> out how to get to a command prompt though without my set up CD - any
> suggestions?
>
> Thanks for any suggestions!

Anonymous
April 1, 2005 10:56:52 AM

You are in the position of needing install media to do anything.

XP is designed to boot from CD. If your system is unable to do that you will need this download for boot floppies:
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q310/9...

Description of the Windows XP Recovery Console: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;314058

--

Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
"wendellg85" <wendellg85@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C1765A60-AAAA-411B-9EED-BCEDE63F28BD@microsoft.com...
>I inadvertently posted this on the XP Media Center Ed newsgroup - reposting
> here for help.
>
> After powering on laptop, black screen says that windows could not load. No
> specific error messages are given. Msg says it could be due to a recent
> power failure or improper shutdown, but I am certain neither of these is the
> case. Options are to boot in safe mode, last known good configuration, or
> start windows normally. When I choose safe mode, some file names scroll down
> the screen, then it hangs and does nothing. If I choose last known good
> configuration or to start normally, I get a blank screen that does nothing.
> I can't locate my XP setup disk, but I'm still looking. I keep reading bad
> things about OEM installations - XP was installed by OEM, so even if I find
> my disk, am I going to be able to do system restore and/or fresh install???
>
> Biggest conern is that I have a lot of digital pictures on my HD that I need
> to back up! Can anyone suggest any ways to do this, assuming system restore
> does not work?
>
> A coworker suggested that I try to get to a command prompt and then copy the
> files to a non-windows directory, so that I could reinstall windows and
> hopefully not overwrite the files. Will this work? I can't seem to figure
> out how to get to a command prompt though without my set up CD - any
> suggestions?
>
> Thanks for any suggestions!

Anonymous
April 1, 2005 7:43:48 PM

Hi Aussie Girl,

It depends on how you re-install Windows as to whether or not you
will lose all of your files. If your recovery disk are an image of
the system drive, you would probably lose all of your data since
most images re-partition, format than write the new image to the
hard disk.

To the original poster, I would recommend buying a cheap hard disk
that is large enough to hold your pictures than boot using BartPE
boot disk. You can than transfer the files from the old disk to the
new disk. I haven't checked for boot disk lately, but there might
even be one that would allow you to write to an external hard disk.
The advantage to that would be that you would have a permanent
backup drive in the future.

Ciao . . . C.Joseph

That which a man buys too cheaply . . .
He esteems too lightly