Can anyone tell me how I can back up my hard drive contents onto DVD disk(s)
please? I have tried to use the Windows XP backup utility, but I can't see
any option to save onto CDs or DVD's. Any help much appreciated, thanks.

ntbackup.exe does not allow backing up directly to CD.

From X:\VALUEADD\MSFT\NTBACKUP\README.TXT

[[NTBackup Backup/Restore and ASR release notes
2. Backup to CDRW

If you decide to backup to a CDRW, you cannot target that device directly.
You must create a backup set of 650MB or less and backup to a file. After
the file is complete, copy the file to the CDRW.]]

Windows Backup Does Not Back Up to CD-R, CD-RW, or DVD-R Devices
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315255

How do I backup my files and folders in XP?
http://www.winxptutor.com/ntbackup.htm

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:d2hnvk$shj$1@news7.svr.pol.co.uk,
ks1 <ks1@com24.freeserve.co.uk> hunted and pecked:
> Can anyone tell me how I can back up my hard drive contents onto DVD
> disk(s) please? I have tried to use the Windows XP backup utility,
> but I can't see any option to save onto CDs or DVD's. Any help much
> appreciated, thanks.

woody

Get Norton Ghost Ver 9

"ks1" <ks1@com24.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> Can anyone tell me how I can back up my hard drive contents onto DVD
> disk(s) please? I have tried to use the Windows XP backup utility, but I
> can't see any option to save onto CDs or DVD's. Any help much appreciated,
> thanks.

The FAST wizard is limited to one disk at a time, but first a 'settings only' save, then a save of 'selected data only', several
times, would get it all.

Save settings and data with the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard (FAST wizard): Go To: http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/fast.htm

--

Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)