Andrew

I just reinstalled XP Home on my PC using a RAID 0 configuration for the
HDs. Everything installed fine until I installed the soundcard driver.
First of it upset the modem, then the USB devices stopped and I had to power
off / on to get back to windows. Only problem was my boot time went from 25
seconds to about 70 seconds. I ran bootvis and noticed the NIC delay was
about 30 seconds, I couldn't understand why this would be since I only
installed a sound card. I look in CPL/system/hardware and noticed a load of
WAN miniports under network adapters (PPOE, PPOA and some others, about 5 in
total). I have no idea where these came from. I disable them and rebotoed
and things seemed a little quicker. I then enable them and lo and behold
they disappeared. I am now back to a decent boot time but if anybody could
explain what happened and why it happened I would be most grateful.

Thanks,

Andy

Your NIC driver probably needs an upgrade.

--

Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509