helpmeplease

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2004

I think I'm up the creek, but nonetheless I'm hoping someone has some insight
into what options I might have.

Background info:
1) Windows XP Pro user. Tried to open Word doc today that was in an
encrypted directory, and Word crashed. Tried to reboot, received Stop error:

0x00000024(0x00190203,0x82F85820,0xc0000102,0x000000000)

Disable or unistall any antivirus, disk defrag or backup utilities. Check
your hard drive configuration, and check for any updated drivers. Run chkdsk
/f to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

2) I am unable to boot into any safe mode variety, I get the same stop error.
3) With my XP cd, I can boot into recovery console. However, when I run
chkdsk I get the notice "unrecoverable errors". I am also unable to view
directory contents using dir ("unable to enumerate directory...").
4) If I boot with XP CD and go into setup, the partition with windows is not
recognized and repairing is not an option. NTFS partition is "unknown".

I was able to boot off of Knoppix (sorry) and copy some files to floppy.
However, it is the encrypted files that I cannot read (even though I can
copy).

Any ideas on what I can do next? Will fixing the boot sector or MBR help in
the recovery console?

Thanks!!

Hi
the only thing i can suggest which might not be the right thing so i would
wait for others is to reinstall your computer back to its factory settings.
you dont lose your files (apart from email files) but you do lose your
programs that you have either installed or downloaded so it is kind of
starting all over again but with your files still.
but as i said it might be better for you to wait for someone who might have
an easier soluction for you :)

"helpmeplease" wrote:

> I think I'm up the creek, but nonetheless I'm hoping someone has some insight
> into what options I might have.
>
> Background info:
> 1) Windows XP Pro user. Tried to open Word doc today that was in an
> encrypted directory, and Word crashed. Tried to reboot, received Stop error:
>
> 0x00000024(0x00190203,0x82F85820,0xc0000102,0x000000000)
>
> Disable or unistall any antivirus, disk defrag or backup utilities. Check
> your hard drive configuration, and check for any updated drivers. Run chkdsk
> /f to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.
>
> 2) I am unable to boot into any safe mode variety, I get the same stop error.
> 3) With my XP cd, I can boot into recovery console. However, when I run
> chkdsk I get the notice "unrecoverable errors". I am also unable to view
> directory contents using dir ("unable to enumerate directory...").
> 4) If I boot with XP CD and go into setup, the partition with windows is not
> recognized and repairing is not an option. NTFS partition is "unknown".
>
> I was able to boot off of Knoppix (sorry) and copy some files to floppy.
> However, it is the encrypted files that I cannot read (even though I can
> copy).
>
> Any ideas on what I can do next? Will fixing the boot sector or MBR help in
> the recovery console?
>
> Thanks!!

helpmeplease

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2004

Thanks Aussie Girl - I appreciate the response. My only concern is that
since I can't do a repair install, I'm going to lose the ability to open my
encrypted files. Re-installing will have to be my last resort ;)

"The Aussie Girl" wrote:

> Hi
> the only thing i can suggest which might not be the right thing so i would
> wait for others is to reinstall your computer back to its factory settings.
> you dont lose your files (apart from email files) but you do lose your
> programs that you have either installed or downloaded so it is kind of
> starting all over again but with your files still.
> but as i said it might be better for you to wait for someone who might have
> an easier soluction for you :)
>
> "helpmeplease" wrote:
>
> > I think I'm up the creek, but nonetheless I'm hoping someone has some insight
> > into what options I might have.
> >
> > Background info:
> > 1) Windows XP Pro user. Tried to open Word doc today that was in an
> > encrypted directory, and Word crashed. Tried to reboot, received Stop error:
> >
> > 0x00000024(0x00190203,0x82F85820,0xc0000102,0x000000000)
> >
> > Disable or unistall any antivirus, disk defrag or backup utilities. Check
> > your hard drive configuration, and check for any updated drivers. Run chkdsk
> > /f to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.
> >
> > 2) I am unable to boot into any safe mode variety, I get the same stop error.
> > 3) With my XP cd, I can boot into recovery console. However, when I run
> > chkdsk I get the notice "unrecoverable errors". I am also unable to view
> > directory contents using dir ("unable to enumerate directory...").
> > 4) If I boot with XP CD and go into setup, the partition with windows is not
> > recognized and repairing is not an option. NTFS partition is "unknown".
> >
> > I was able to boot off of Knoppix (sorry) and copy some files to floppy.
> > However, it is the encrypted files that I cannot read (even though I can
> > copy).
> >
> > Any ideas on what I can do next? Will fixing the boot sector or MBR help in
> > the recovery console?
> >
> > Thanks!!

Your welcome, but you should use this as your last resort. If you dont get a
response off someone else just keep reposting as someone will answer you :)
i had to just reinstall my computer back to its factory settings last night.
so if you need any help on doing that letting me know but i hope you dont
have to go to that extreme. Sorry i can not help you anymore than that
best of luck though