Service pack1 or 1a query

Hi everyone :)
Im running home edition xp (pre installed)
For many reasons i had to reinstall my computer back to its original factory
settings - meaning i lost lots of programs including office 2003.

Now that my computer is like brand new i went to install office 2003 on it
last night and a pop up box appeared explaining that a service pack had not
been completed and the installation could not take place until my computer
was updated. Which is fine.
Due to the fact that my computer is back to its original state i dont even
have service pack one on it anymore.
I can NOT download service pack one from the update site as the site reads
that i already have it (in which i did before the computer was reinstalled
back to factory) and it is in my history installation. I can not download
service pack 2 as i only have dial up and its too big for me to even try to
do.
so my question is if anyone at all knows where on the microsoft site i can
download service pack one i would be more than happy. If anyone out there
could just send me in the right direction pwwwwwwwwwwwwease.
Because as soon as i have service pack 1 i can put office back on and then i
will be happy!!!

thanking you in advance lots and lots
Kylie
5 answers Last reply
More about service pack1 query

    Kylie;
    You can download SP-2 or order the CD, Step 1 on this link:
    The CD normally takes less than 2 weeks to arrive.

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

    "The Aussie Girl" <TheAussieGirl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi everyone :)
    > Im running home edition xp (pre installed)
    > For many reasons i had to reinstall my computer back to its original
    > factory
    > settings - meaning i lost lots of programs including office 2003.
    >
    > Now that my computer is like brand new i went to install office 2003 on it
    > last night and a pop up box appeared explaining that a service pack had
    > not
    > been completed and the installation could not take place until my computer
    > was updated. Which is fine.
    > Due to the fact that my computer is back to its original state i dont even
    > have service pack one on it anymore.
    > I can NOT download service pack one from the update site as the site reads
    > that i already have it (in which i did before the computer was reinstalled
    > back to factory) and it is in my history installation. I can not download
    > service pack 2 as i only have dial up and its too big for me to even try
    > do.
    > so my question is if anyone at all knows where on the microsoft site i can
    > download service pack one i would be more than happy. If anyone out there
    > could just send me in the right direction pwwwwwwwwwwwwease.
    > Because as soon as i have service pack 1 i can put office back on and then
    > will be happy!!!
    >
    > thanking you in advance lots and lots
    > Kylie

    Windows XP Service Pack 1a Download
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp1/network.mspx

    Order Windows XP Service Pack 2 on CD
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/cdorder/en_us/default.mspx

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "The Aussie Girl" wrote:

    | Hi everyone :)
    | Im running home edition xp (pre installed)
    | For many reasons i had to reinstall my computer back to its original factory
    | settings - meaning i lost lots of programs including office 2003.
    |
    | Now that my computer is like brand new i went to install office 2003 on it
    | last night and a pop up box appeared explaining that a service pack had not
    | been completed and the installation could not take place until my computer
    | was updated. Which is fine.
    | Due to the fact that my computer is back to its original state i dont even
    | have service pack one on it anymore.
    | I can NOT download service pack one from the update site as the site reads
    | that i already have it (in which i did before the computer was reinstalled
    | back to factory) and it is in my history installation. I can not download
    | service pack 2 as i only have dial up and its too big for me to even try to
    | do.
    | so my question is if anyone at all knows where on the microsoft site i can
    | download service pack one i would be more than happy. If anyone out there
    | could just send me in the right direction pwwwwwwwwwwwwease.
    | Because as soon as i have service pack 1 i can put office back on and then i
    | will be happy!!!
    |
    | thanking you in advance lots and lots
    | Kylie

    Hello Jupiter thank you very much for your advice and response, i now have
    ordered service pack 2 on cd - thanking you

    Hello Carey
    thank you also very much for responding to both my postings in two different
    newsgroups totally appreciated. I clicked on the site for service pack one
    that you gave me and it is for networks - will that make a difference since
    my computer is a stand alone, will it affect anything, im sooo much more
    worried now after the huge problems ive had to have to restort to putting my
    computer back to factory settings!! thanking you again, i will wait for your
    reply before i download this service pack..... thanks a bunch

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

    > Windows XP Service Pack 1a Download
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp1/network.mspx
    >
    > Order Windows XP Service Pack 2 on CD
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/cdorder/en_us/default.mspx
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups

    > "The Aussie Girl" wrote:
    >
    > | Hi everyone :)
    > | Im running home edition xp (pre installed)
    > | For many reasons i had to reinstall my computer back to its original factory
    > | settings - meaning i lost lots of programs including office 2003.
    > |
    > | Now that my computer is like brand new i went to install office 2003 on it
    > | last night and a pop up box appeared explaining that a service pack had not
    > | been completed and the installation could not take place until my computer
    > | was updated. Which is fine.
    > | Due to the fact that my computer is back to its original state i dont even
    > | have service pack one on it anymore.
    > | I can NOT download service pack one from the update site as the site reads
    > | that i already have it (in which i did before the computer was reinstalled
    > | back to factory) and it is in my history installation. I can not download
    > | service pack 2 as i only have dial up and its too big for me to even try to
    > | do.
    > | so my question is if anyone at all knows where on the microsoft site i can
    > | download service pack one i would be more than happy. If anyone out there
    > | could just send me in the right direction pwwwwwwwwwwwwease.
    > | Because as soon as i have service pack 1 i can put office back on and then i
    > | will be happy!!!
    > |
    > | thanking you in advance lots and lots
    > | Kylie

    The Network Installation is fine.
    Microsoft prefers single computer users download SP-2 directly from Windows
    Update Express Installation because the bandwidth is far less.
    However I think people benefit from having the CD.
    The net result is the same whether you order or download SP-2 on CD or
    perform Express Installation from Windows Update.

    --

    > Hello Jupiter thank you very much for your advice and response, i now
    > have
    > ordered service pack 2 on cd - thanking you
    >
    > Hello Carey
    > thank you also very much for responding to both my postings in two
    > different
    > newsgroups totally appreciated. I clicked on the site for service pack one
    > that you gave me and it is for networks - will that make a difference
    > since
    > my computer is a stand alone, will it affect anything, im sooo much more
    > worried now after the huge problems ive had to have to restort to putting
    > my
    > computer back to factory settings!! thanking you again, i will wait for
    > your
    > reply before i download this service pack..... thanks a bunch

    thank you very much Jupiter - so i can download the network installation -
    great thank you more than you would know!!!

    my computer does not recognise sp 2 as when i go to the microsoft update
    site and it thinks to see what updates i need it doesnt even mention any
    service packs at all. As service pack 1 is in my history so obviously it
    doesnt recognise that!!

    thank you for telling me about the cds, i have tried to download sp2 but it
    takes too long since i only have dial up and my connection drops out
    waaaaaaaaaaay before it even finishes (this was before i had all my computer
    problems)

    Now if everything is ok to download this sp1 im going to do it now
    once again a huge thanks --- your a life saver

Computers Microsoft Office Windows XP