Problem with 160gb hard drive

March 31, 2005 6:41:04 PM

Hi
Have new pc with 160gb Maxtor hd. 137gb recogised. Old version of xp pre
sp1, have sp1 and 2 installed now. Also installed Maxtor Big Drive Enabler.
In computer management recognises one drive of 152.66gb divided into 128gb
ntfs - healthy (system) and 24.67gb unallocated. Right clicking on
unallocated portion allows menu with “new partition� then decide between
primary or extended partition.
Does anyone know the procedure from here on in, considering that the rest of
the drive is already populated with programs and I don’t want to reformat?

Cheers
Icedragon
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 12:24:28 PM

137 gig limit - How to enable 48-bit Logical Block Addressing support for ATAPI disk drives in Windows XP:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;303013

At this point, for you, adding a second partition to the drive may be the only way. Starting over, per the article, would make one
big drive.

--

Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509