Problem with 160gb hard drive

Hi
Have new pc with 160gb Maxtor hd. 137gb recogised. Old version of xp pre
sp1, have sp1 and 2 installed now. Also installed Maxtor Big Drive Enabler.
In computer management recognises one drive of 152.66gb divided into 128gb
ntfs - healthy (system) and 24.67gb unallocated. Right clicking on
unallocated portion allows menu with “new partition� then decide between
primary or extended partition.
Does anyone know the procedure from here on in, considering that the rest of
the drive is already populated with programs and I don’t want to reformat?

Cheers
Icedragon
1 answer Last reply
More about problem 160gb hard drive

    137 gig limit - How to enable 48-bit Logical Block Addressing support for ATAPI disk drives in Windows XP:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;303013

    At this point, for you, adding a second partition to the drive may be the only way. Starting over, per the article, would make one
    big drive.

    --

    Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
    FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
    "Icedragon" <Icedragon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2F258A5C-5A13-4A1F-9E98-CAB0D30B4B8E@microsoft.com...
    > Hi
    > Have new pc with 160gb Maxtor hd. 137gb recogised. Old version of xp pre
    > sp1, have sp1 and 2 installed now. Also installed Maxtor Big Drive Enabler.
    > In computer management recognises one drive of 152.66gb divided into 128gb
    > ntfs - healthy (system) and 24.67gb unallocated. Right clicking on
    > unallocated portion allows menu with "new partition" then decide between
    > primary or extended partition.
    > Does anyone know the procedure from here on in, considering that the rest of
    > the drive is already populated with programs and I don't want to reformat?
    >
    > Cheers
    > Icedragon

Hard Drives Windows XP