Can't open program, Missing SHELL.DLL file

March 31, 2005 8:07:02 PM

I am trying to open a program but I get an error message stating that I am
missing the SHELL.DLL file. Can anyone help get me this file.
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 12:10:33 PM

Hi Raj,

Missing shell.dll might be an effect of malware infection. Run these malware
cleaners:

1. Ad-Aware
http://www.lavasoftusa.com

2. SpyBot S&D
http://www.safer-networking.org

3. CWShredder
http://www.intermute.com/spysubtract/cwshredder_downloa...

Update 1 & 2 before running a scan.

Clean-up Windows Startup:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/startup.htm

Then, run a full system virus scan with fully updated definitions. Try Trend
Micro's Sysclean package (free), it's capable of eliminating keyloggers,
trojans etc.

Generic Trojan / Adware Infestation Removal Procedure:

Use SFC /Scannow command to restore missing system files:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310747

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"Raj" <Raj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am trying to open a program but I get an error message stating that I am
> missing the SHELL.DLL file. Can anyone help get me this file.
June 1, 2005 4:30:06 AM

Yea what ever, you are can just replaced it from installation disc of windows
XP or download it from internet it also works but not guaranty that all
downloaded files will works like from original source. What type of program
did that in windows XP?
Thank you.