Can't open program, Missing SHELL.DLL file

I am trying to open a program but I get an error message stating that I am
missing the SHELL.DLL file. Can anyone help get me this file.
2 answers Last reply
More about open program missing shell file

    Hi Raj,

    Missing shell.dll might be an effect of malware infection. Run these malware
    cleaners:

    1. Ad-Aware
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com

    2. SpyBot S&D
    http://www.safer-networking.org

    3. CWShredder

    Update 1 & 2 before running a scan.

    Clean-up Windows Startup:
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/startup.htm

    Then, run a full system virus scan with fully updated definitions. Try Trend
    Micro's Sysclean package (free), it's capable of eliminating keyloggers,
    trojans etc.

    Generic Trojan / Adware Infestation Removal Procedure:

    Use SFC /Scannow command to restore missing system files:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310747

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "Raj" <Raj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am trying to open a program but I get an error message stating that I am
    > missing the SHELL.DLL file. Can anyone help get me this file.

    Yea what ever, you are can just replaced it from installation disc of windows
    XP or download it from internet it also works but not guaranty that all
    downloaded files will works like from original source. What type of program
    did that in windows XP?
    Thank you.

    "Raj" wrote:

    > I am trying to open a program but I get an error message stating that I am
    > missing the SHELL.DLL file. Can anyone help get me this file.

Support Shell Microsoft Error Message DLL Windows XP