Sign in with
Your question

9800XT Gigabyte vs Asus

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 9, 2003 3:55:35 AM

My local store has the Gigabyte 40 bucks cheaper that the Asus yet the Gigabyte seems a better performance version

Gigabyte
Core Clock 450 Mhz - Mem Clock 750 MHz

Asus
Engine Clock 412MHz - Memory Clock 730 MHz

Both cards seem similar in everything else 256 mem tv out halflife2 etc etc. No second vga out on the gigabyte.

Do you think the Gigabyte is that much better and cheaper or is it using the same components or memory and overclocking it. I can't see the gpu being any different maybe better cooling.

What do you guys think?

Thanks darko....

http://tw.giga-byte.com/VGA/Products/Products_GV-R98X25... .htm#

http://www.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=Radeon 9800 XT/TVD&langs=01

If I glanced at a spilt box of tooth picks on the floor, could I tell you how many are in the pile. Not a chance, But then again I don't have to buy my underware at Kmart.

More about : 9800xt gigabyte asus

December 9, 2003 3:57:53 AM

from what ive read around this forum, seems that gigabyte isnt very good while asus is doing well with their ATi cards. i would asus is the way to go.

My Card: Geforce 7 Ti 6000, 1024 MB RAM, PCI-EX 32X, OC to 2000/4000, (1500 Watt power supply) 3dmark03: 47483
That's one awsomegra phics experience.
December 9, 2003 4:10:51 AM

You gota link to that thread. I just scanned a whack of threads and can't find anything comparing these two cards or saying stay away from gigabyte.

But I could have missed it forsure.

If I glanced at a spilt box of tooth picks on the floor, could I tell you how many are in the pile. Not a chance, But then again I don't have to buy my underware at Kmart.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
December 9, 2003 5:20:24 AM

Gigabyte is fine, they just usually are in the middle of the group. GigaCube on the other hand sux. That may have been mistaken as Gigabyte.

Asus has the advanatage of being one of the best out there. Nice features, quality builds.

With those two you likely won't get much difference in quality, but if there is any it woudl favour the Asus. The thing is to find out why and how the Gigabyte has higher speeds. Is there better memory? Is it a hand picked card (like the Fireblade versions of Sapphires) or are they exactly the same, one just boosted at the plant?

In all likelyhood since the Gigabyte comes at a higher stock speed then overclocking issue may be somewhat moot. I'd go for whihc ever one has the features you like, the additional software you like, and also consider the price.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil: 

<b>-NEW PIC IN THGC ALBUM-</b>
December 9, 2003 6:00:52 AM

Thanks grape, but I'm really looking for some technical info or opinions, Why is Gigabyte faster? better memory? why is gpu faster overclocked? better cooling?

Does ati have specifications for the speeds the 9800xt should run at. Are there any reviews on the gigabyte card? I found nothing on google.

Thanks again grape I know you post quite frequently in the graphics forum so if you hear anything on this gigabyte 9800xt let me know I'd be grateful.

December 9, 2003 8:28:42 AM

Your a dead set moron half wit Grape, how do you figure gigacube sux, have you owned one, is it cause they are cheaper, do they not work. Statements like this make your other opinions questionble as you come across as some sort of pathetic excuse for some forum fanboy. You should get your sad ass another day job as you obviously lack any credability and no knowledge of the subject at hand. Ta....

If he doesn't die, he'll get help!!!
December 9, 2003 9:49:17 AM

Gigacube uses lower quality ram, sometimes it doesn't even run at minimum speeds defined by ATI.

December 9, 2003 10:07:51 AM

dont mind ramjet hes an idiot and the forum flamebait, no one elses listens to him other than the other forum trolls

<A HREF="http://www.cameronwilliamson.com" target="_new">-={Apostalic Alcoholic.}=-</A>
December 9, 2003 1:49:39 PM

The troll is back.
December 9, 2003 1:52:31 PM

yeah baby he is back with a vengence! im scared
*shivers* lol.

B|rD[RoB|n]
a b U Graphics card
December 9, 2003 6:56:57 PM

rramjet, you're a knob troll, and a pretty pathetic one at that. Your opinions on this matter, or me, mean very little to anyone here.
I can and have backed up my statement that GigaPuke sucks, you on the other hand have nothing but your whining.

Show something other than your ignorance and then someone might think of you as something other than a tool.

GigaPuke Sucks SOOOoo Bad they had to change their name to GeXcube because they developed such a bad reputation.
Perhaps you should follow their lead.

If you don't die, no one will get any help!!!

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil: 

a b U Graphics card
December 9, 2003 7:15:31 PM

That's the problem, the cards are too new to get definitive info yet.

The way we found out about the diff. memory on the Sapphires and the Giabytes (let alone the PC and G-cube) R9600s was through alot of people buying them and mentioning the specs in forums and enough reviewers getting enough info out there for us to get a broad picture. Initially all R9600XT(s) came out with 3.3ns memory now that is no longer the case. The same may be true for the R9800XT over time.
ATI's reference stock speed is 412/365 just like the ASUS.

For all you know they could have the exact same memory modules or ASUS could have better ones but Gigabyte pushes slower ones to their max. That's the problem, unless you can get you hands on the bord, there's very few people who could tell you. We usually wait for people like you to buy one or the other and add to the knowledge base.

You may have to wait a while for an answer to your questions.

<font color=purple>Why is Gigabyte faster? better memory? why is gpu faster overclocked? better cooling? </font color=purple>

Likely the same eveything else, just set higher by bios/drivers in order to have a marketing advanatage over the competition, also likely the ASUS will reach those levels too, but that's anyone's quess.

There is alot of info out there abou the ASUS R9800XT as they are a new addition to ATI and this is their showcase product. Here's a good review from Digit-Life;

<A HREF="http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/radeon/asus-ati.htm..." target="_new">http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/radeon/asus-ati.htm...;/A>

December 9, 2003 9:57:10 PM

ahh, sorry about the mixup between gigacube and gigabyte.

My Card: Geforce 7 Ti 6000, 1024 MB RAM, PCI-EX 32X, OC to 2000/4000, (1500 Watt power supply) 3dmark03: 47483
That's one awsomegra phics experience.
December 10, 2003 5:15:46 AM

OHHH so Gexcube was gigacube. now i know lol...

Who is from singapore? I am.
December 10, 2003 9:16:16 PM

Well there is no info on the gigabyt card floating around that I can find.

I wonder if its got somthing to do with Gigabyte being pissed at ATI for allowing Asus to bulid ATI. What I mean is Gigabyte not send out ant free demos to review sites like THG because its great press coverage for ATI. I noticed Gigabyte fx5950 thing is all over the net and Asus 9800xt is all over the net.

Anand tech has a review on the Gigabyte 9700pro VS ATI 9700 pro and Gigabytes card is clocked considerably higher yet performs a little worse over all. So I think I'll stay away from the Gigabyte 9800xt.

Think I'll wait it out for the r420. Does anyone have any info on this next generation card (what to expect)?

When?

15 micron 13 micron?

Clock speeds? GPU mem?

Pipes 8 or 12?

Opinions are welcome, if theres no info on the gigabyte 9800xt I cant expect much on the future r420.

a b U Graphics card
December 10, 2003 10:26:18 PM

<font color=purple><A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?nam..." target="_new">I</A></font color=purple> might have some info, what do I get for it? :wink:

Still speculation, but I would trust most of what's being said as it is not THAT revolutionary. Should be pretty impressive. I tried to get some more info from the Rage3D hardware chat with the ATI guys a week ago, but not much new there (very tight lipped).

December 11, 2003 7:16:55 PM

Thanks Grape,

I found that interesting

<A HREF="http://www.flowgo.com/flowgo2_view.cfm?page_id=9691" target="_new"> Cookie for grape </A>

If I glanced at a spilt box of tooth picks on the floor, could I tell you how many are in the pile. Not a chance, But then again I don't have to buy my underware at Kmart. <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by darko21 on 12/11/03 04:25 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
a b U Graphics card
December 11, 2003 9:30:38 PM

LOL! Thanks for the cookie. :cool:

I wasn't sure if you'd find the link or not (for those of you who missed it click on the 'I'), but I thought leaving you high and dry wouldn't be fair. I did a chose your own adventure once, but that takes a bit of time I don't have when at work.

Yeah, there's alot of speculation. I hope it's all true the 16x1 versus 6x2 should be interesting enough diff. between the two architectures IMO.

December 11, 2003 10:30:25 PM

Your welcome or Merry Christmas.

If ya wanna see somthing better?

Copy this word.... ( GreatGrapeApe )

Then click link below

<A HREF="http://www.flowgo.com/flowgo2_view.cfm?page_id=46778" target="_new"> After copying text (GreatgrapeApe) click this link then paste in name box </A>

a b U Graphics card
December 11, 2003 11:22:15 PM

LOL!

Yeah I sent that out for Valentine's Day, a slightly different 'exotic' dancer.

Thanks for giving me something to give the co-workers as an X-mas present for my last day before X-mas tomorrow. Perfect timing.

Speaking of which, done work gotta go home (and out for dinner).

Ciaola for a while.

Thnax for a good laugh before logging off! :cool:

!