Blue screen, memory dump

I have a 3 1/2 year old HP Pavilion. A few weeks ago I suddenly got a blue
screen with white type (like an old DOS screen) saying something like, If you
are seeing this message for the first time, reboot. If not - then there were
lengthy instructions I couldn't understand. At the bottom it said "memory
dump" with a countdown. I rebooted but then could not access any programs.

I took the computer to the Best Buy Geek Squad, where they installed more
memory, Service Pack 2, and replaced the video card. Everything was fine for
about six days, then tonight I got that same blue screen message! This time I
rebooted and so far everything is working.

I am not at all knowledgable about computer ops. I have been all over the XP
and HP sites and can find nothing about such a message. What on earth does it
mean! Is it serious! Any help would be appreciated.
2 answers Last reply
More about blue screen memory dump

    well, the exact error message is needed in order to help. There are all
    kinds of memory dump error messages, what you are looking for is the STOP
    error, and/or code number.
    It will look something like this
    click on the link for an example,
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prmd_stp_mncs.asp

    The rest of the message is not really needed, just the stop numbers, like
    0x.... and the Driver_IRQL_...or whatever is displayed.

    What you have is called a blue screen error, or fatal exception error.

    "Kay" <Kay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have a 3 1/2 year old HP Pavilion. A few weeks ago I suddenly got a blue
    > screen with white type (like an old DOS screen) saying something like, If
    > you
    > are seeing this message for the first time, reboot. If not - then there
    > were
    > lengthy instructions I couldn't understand. At the bottom it said "memory
    > dump" with a countdown. I rebooted but then could not access any programs.
    >
    > I took the computer to the Best Buy Geek Squad, where they installed more
    > memory, Service Pack 2, and replaced the video card. Everything was fine
    > for
    > about six days, then tonight I got that same blue screen message! This
    > time I
    > rebooted and so far everything is working.
    >
    > I am not at all knowledgable about computer ops. I have been all over the
    > XP
    > and HP sites and can find nothing about such a message. What on earth does
    > it
    > mean! Is it serious! Any help would be appreciated.

    Kay <Kay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >I have a 3 1/2 year old HP Pavilion. A few weeks ago I suddenly got a blue
    >screen with white type (like an old DOS screen) saying something like, If you
    >are seeing this message for the first time, reboot. If not - then there were
    >lengthy instructions I couldn't understand. At the bottom it said "memory
    >dump" with a countdown. I rebooted but then could not access any programs.
    >
    >I took the computer to the Best Buy Geek Squad, where they installed more
    >memory, Service Pack 2, and replaced the video card. Everything was fine for
    >about six days, then tonight I got that same blue screen message! This time I
    >rebooted and so far everything is working.
    >
    >I am not at all knowledgable about computer ops. I have been all over the XP
    >and HP sites and can find nothing about such a message. What on earth does it
    >mean! Is it serious! Any help would be appreciated.

    Next time the error happens make sure you write down the *all* of the
    information on the error message window, especially the STOP code and
    the 4 parameters that follow it and also any file or module names
    listed with the STOP code.

    Here is an example, from the Microsoft Knowledge Base, of the critical
    content of a STOP error message:

    Stop: 0x0000000A (parameter1, parameter2, parameter3, parameter4)

    Post that information back here and we should be able to help you to
    identify the underlying cause of the problem.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP