Yup. I deleted it. I misread something about it & deleted it. It's gone, I
deleted it through SB Search & Destroy's secure shredder. I know it wasn't
smart of me & no I'm not an idiot on the computer. I'm using XP home edition.
I can't find my Windows XP cd, but I do have my Restore CD. I'm not going to
restore my computer, but if there is a way to get it off of there then maybe
I can do that. If I can go to microsoft support & get it from there then let
me know. I'd like some help quick. It doesn't hinder me majorly, but I can't
do my control pannel, or other standard system stuff like that.

map

"cowaite" wrote:

> Yup. I deleted it. I misread something about it & deleted it. It's gone, I
> deleted it through SB Search & Destroy's secure shredder. I know it wasn't
> smart of me & no I'm not an idiot on the computer. I'm using XP home edition.
> I can't find my Windows XP cd, but I do have my Restore CD. I'm not going to
> restore my computer, but if there is a way to get it off of there then maybe
> I can do that. If I can go to microsoft support & get it from there then let
> me know. I'd like some help quick. It doesn't hinder me majorly, but I can't
> do my control pannel, or other standard system stuff like that.

If it was me I would run the system file checker
http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

You can't delete rundll32.exe from C:\WINDOWS\system32.

It's a protected system file.

Windows File Protection will recreate it from
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache in about three seconds.

rundll32.exe is normally in both
C:\WINDOWS\system32
and
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache

I just dragged rundll32.exe from C:\WINDOWS\system32 to my Desktop.

Before I could even open the Event Viewer, rundll32.exe had been
replaced.

I got an Information Event in the Event Viewer...
Event Type: Information
Event Source: Windows File Protection
Event Category: None
Event ID: 64002
Date: 3/31/2005
Time: 6:38:26 PM
User: N/A
Computer: M450
File replacement was attempted on the protected system file
c:\windows\system32\rundll32.exe. This file was restored to the original
version to maintain system stability. The file version of the system
file is 5.1.2600.0.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:85071301-F22F-4401-8FE6-78C1CBB57D59@microsoft.com,
cowaite <cowaite@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> You can't delete rundll32.exe from C:\WINDOWS\system32.
>
> It's a protected system file.
>
> Windows File Protection will recreate it from
> C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache in about three seconds.
>
> rundll32.exe is normally in both
> C:\WINDOWS\system32
> and
> C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache
>
> I just dragged rundll32.exe from C:\WINDOWS\system32 to my Desktop.
>
> Before I could even open the Event Viewer, rundll32.exe had been
> replaced.
>
> I got an Information Event in the Event Viewer...
> Event Type: Information
> Event Source: Windows File Protection
> Event Category: None
> Event ID: 64002
> Date: 3/31/2005
> Time: 6:38:26 PM
> User: N/A
> Computer: M450
> File replacement was attempted on the protected system file
> c:\windows\system32\rundll32.exe. This file was restored to the original
> version to maintain system stability. The file version of the system
> file is 5.1.2600.0.
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:85071301-F22F-4401-8FE6-78C1CBB57D59@microsoft.com,
> cowaite <cowaite@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > Yup. I deleted it. I misread something about it & deleted it. It's
> > gone, I deleted it through SB Search & Destroy's secure shredder. I
> > know it wasn't smart of me & no I'm not an idiot on the computer. I'm
> > using XP home edition. I can't find my Windows XP cd, but I do have
> > my Restore CD. I'm not going to restore my computer, but if there is
> > a way to get it off of there then maybe I can do that. If I can go to
> > microsoft support & get it from there then let me know. I'd like some
> > help quick. It doesn't hinder me majorly, but I can't do my control
> > pannel, or other standard system stuff like that.

As I said, I didn't delete it through Windows. Went through Spy Bots secure
shredder. It is obviously deleted because for teh past month I've been
recieving error msges about it. They all started immediately after it was
deleted.

Are you sure that there isn't another copy of rundll32.exe on your
machine?

Did you delete just one copy? Have you done a Search?

HOW TO: Search For Hidden Or System Files In Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;302347

There may be a copy in C:\I386 or C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache

What error messages?

Event ID & the Event Source are very important.

To open the Event Viewer...
Start | Run | Type: eventvwr | OK

For any Events that seem related to the problem...

Double click the event in Event Viewer | Click: the button below the
second
arrow (looks like two pages) [[Copies the details of the event to the
Clipboard.]] | Paste into Notepad | Click:

Read all info | Copy and paste to Notepad | Click the [+] Related
Knowledge
Base articles | Follow any links that might be useful

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308427

Event Viewer overview
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/event_overview_01.mspx

This can also be very useful.
You need to have the Event ID & the Event Source.

To view Windows XP Events and Errors, type the Source (for example,
Print) and/or the Event code (for example, 20) into the ID field, then
click the Go button. Source and Event codes may be found in the Event
Viewer logs.

Windows XP Home/Professional Events and Errors
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/support/ee/search.aspx?DisplayName=Windows%20XP%20Professional&ProdName=Windows%20Operating%20System&MajorMinor=5.1&LCID=1033

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:F45019FD-7765-4FA6-A315-98F3D05AA006@microsoft.com,

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> [...]
> >> c:\windows\system32\rundll32.exe. This file was restored to the
> >> original version to maintain system stability. The file version of
> >> the system file is 5.1.2600.0.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
> >>
> >> Wes
> >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> >>
> >> In news:85071301-F22F-4401-8FE6-78C1CBB57D59@microsoft.com,
> >> cowaite <cowaite@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> >>

> > As I said, I didn't delete it through Windows. Went through Spy Bots
> > secure shredder. It is obviously deleted because for teh past month
> > I've been recieving error msges about it. They all started
> > immediately after it was deleted.
>
> Of course I searched, & my files are already all displayed. I'm not an idiot on the computer, I just misread something. This evening I'll try your other stuff.

I didn't say you were an idiot. Nor did I mean to imply that.

I just posted what I thought applied to the problem.

You'd feel kind of silly if you overlooked something simple. I would.

Actually, I usually feel pretty silly for overlooking something simple.
;-)

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes