TriOcular

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2001
hey guys....

I have a external USB drive installed on WinXP-home. When I plugged it in it was recognized and the OS told me it was installed and 'ready to use'. However, when I click on 'My Computer' it is not listed. Under Control Panel/system/Hardware/Device Manager it is listed and I am told it is 'working properly' but when I click 'populate' under Volumes I am told it is not initialized. How do I do that?

thanks in advance!!!

TriOcular

delpart

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2002
Under 'Properties' in Device Manager, there may be a dialog that says, "Enable Device" or something to that effect. Usually they self enable but you never know about Windows. You should also check the driver info, especially if the device is using signed drivers or not.

en Xristos

Is the drive formatted? If not, you're going to have to use the disk management utility that comes with XP. Go to Control Panel ---> Admin Tools ---> Computer Management. You'll find Disk Management listed down the left-hand side. You'll be able to initialize the disk from there... as well as format/partition.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>