DOOM 3

bruno

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2001
As you know, DOOM 3 is comming soon. So people, what do you think - whether our computers manage to "overcome" this game (with of course full details) or not. And don't you think in neariest future the games will be as realistic as films... or more?? Have you seen DOOM's screenshots??
What's your opinion??
BRUNO

cleeve

Illustrious
My meek little system runs the leaked and unoptimized DOOM3 alpha just fine.

Don't think we'll have a problem.

Koopa

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2003
Personally I think my pc will be dying when Doom 3 swings round. I'm hoping to last with Half-Life 2 going ok before upgrading, but first I'll need some cash. It absolutely crept along last time I ran the Alpha with my geforce 2 mx P.O.S. Averaging about 10 fps!

Athlon XP 1700+
512 PC2700 Mb DDR RAM
Sapphire Radeon 9600XT (arriving tomorrow!)

I spend my time here hoping that one day I might learn something.

Coyote

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2003
Right now, I don't think we can play Doom III with max detail etc. I notice that in the benchmark for Doom, I think done here at Tom's earlier this year, none of today's card could play at max detail. Maybe the benchie isn't right? Personally, I've been thinkin Doom has been delayed until the hardware can handle it. Maybe the PCI-Express or BTX form factor will be needed. Anywhoo, sure lookin forward to Doom III now that DX:IW has been released as a port from the xbox :(

XP 2000+
MSI KT3 ULTRA-2 KT333
Maxtor 60GB ATA 133 7200RPM
512MB PC2700
ABIT G4 Ti4200 OTES 64MB
Win98SE

Marvelii

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2001
I think a system w/ 9500P/9500P, 2ghz CPU and 512mb Ram will run DOOM3 at max detail w/o AA/AF. By running i mean 30-40fps which is a tradeoff to the eyecandy. If it doesnt then i dont think ill be buying a $500 videocard just to play one game.

Shuttle XPC SN45G
Athlon XP 3200+
nForce2 Ultra 400
Corsair 512mb ddr400
Radeon 9600 Pro
WD 160GB HDD
Toshiba DVD-RW

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
I dont know why everyone thinks this is going to be such an issue.. it has different paths for whatever kind of card you have and will work fine at low resolutions on whatever the minimum system will be.
Prob around a 1ghz processor with a GF2 or better. I dont know, but I do know they arent going to try to alienate the majority of the users out there who run Nvidia cards reaching back to the GF2.
It might not look as good as running on a NV40 but you asked if it will run ok, it will.
Most of those screenshots were taken on a 9800Pro (before it was released)from e3.

----
I just tell it like it is and some can't handle it. If your experience is different, well congratu-fukulation.
<b>I’M NOT A ATI FANBOY, I’M NOT A NV FANBOY, I’M A STABILITY FANBOY</b>

Forget Screenshots ID has put a new trailer (and you can pre-order it too) on their 'launch' site;

<A HREF="http://www.doom3.com/" target="_new">http://www.doom3.com/</A>

No date on delivery though. Looks pretty good. The current top end cards will handle it OK, the next gen cards will likely get a handle on it pretty quick. Heck D]|[ might be smoother than HALO! :wink:

Remember, it's supposed to be limited to 60FPS, so we may reach a 'performance' plateau rather quickly. Hopefully there will be enough goodies hidden with in (or right in the controller panel) to keep giving us things to turn-up over time. And with the option of Shader effects on the ATIs who knows what else you could throw into the mix.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

<b>-NEW PIC IN THGC ALBUM-</b>

Ahh yesterday neither site had the date. Now EB games added the date, GameStop still don't see a date. Oh my how things change in a day. :wink:

Still far enough off that I'll likely have new everything.

I don't think a socket 939 board w/ cpu +1 GBRam + and R42X/RV380 should have any trouble with D]|[, even with a bunch of goodies turned on.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

<b>-NEW PIC IN THGC ALBUM-</b>

sweet im phukkin drippin now that ive seen that trailer,

doom was the original game that i was phukkin hyped on and it seems they actuaLly made a good sequel(err.. trilogy) to it.

<A HREF="http://www.cameronwilliamson.com" target="_new">-={Apostalic Alcoholic.}=-</A>

Woodman

Distinguished
May 8, 2002
Strange, it only shows the small version. In case anyone wants it, here's the larger one:
<A HREF="http://www.doom3.com/video/trailer_large.mov" target="_new">http://www.doom3.com/video/trailer_large.mov</A>

I don't know why they changed the logo, I liked the old one better.

Undeniable facts #12:
Wisdom follows stupidity.