XP can't open Excel file created on win98se

I create an excel file using XL97sr2 running under win98se
and email it to my wife.

She is running XP-home(using a limited acct) and gets
the following XL97sr2 error message when trying to open
my file:
(In a MS Visual Basic window)
Permission to use object denied
[hitting Help shows error 419]

I don't know if this is relevant but, Tools-Options is
greyed out on the XL menu.

Other friends with XP and XL(I don't know the versions)
have no trouble opening it.

What are we doing wrong and how do I fix it?

Oscar
4 answers Last reply
More about open excel file created win98se

    Oscar;
    Windows version is not relevant.
    Is Excel installed on the computer?
    Excel does not come with any operating system.

    If you do not have Excel, the free viewer will work for viewing only:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=C8378BF4-996C-4569-B547-75EDBD03AAF0&displaylang=en

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

    "Occupant" <occupant@spamtrap.com> wrote in message
    >I create an excel file using XL97sr2 running under win98se
    > and email it to my wife.
    >
    > She is running XP-home(using a limited acct) and gets
    > the following XL97sr2 error message when trying to open
    > my file:
    > (In a MS Visual Basic window)
    > Permission to use object denied
    > [hitting Help shows error 419]
    >
    > I don't know if this is relevant but, Tools-Options is
    > greyed out on the XL menu.
    >
    > Other friends with XP and XL(I don't know the versions)
    > have no trouble opening it.
    >
    > What are we doing wrong and how do I fix it?
    >
    > Oscar

    The same version of Excel is installed on both machines.

    Oscar

    Oscar;
    Windows version is not relevant.
    Is Excel installed on the computer?
    Excel does not come with any operating system.

    If you do not have Excel, the free viewer will work for viewing only:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=C8378BF4-996C-4569-B547-75ED
    BD03AAF0&displaylang=en

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
    http://www.dts-l.org

    "Occupant" <occupant@spamtrap.com> wrote in message
    >I create an excel file using XL97sr2 running under win98se
    > and email it to my wife.
    >
    > She is running XP-home(using a limited acct) and gets
    > the following XL97sr2 error message when trying to open
    > my file:
    > (In a MS Visual Basic window)
    > Permission to use object denied
    > [hitting Help shows error 419]
    >
    > I don't know if this is relevant but, Tools-Options is
    > greyed out on the XL menu.
    >
    > Other friends with XP and XL(I don't know the versions)
    > have no trouble opening it.
    >
    > What are we doing wrong and how do I fix it?
    >
    > Oscar

    Since this is a Windows XP newsgroup you should ask this in an Excel or
    Office newsgroup:
    http://aumha.org/nntp.htm

    --

    > The same version of Excel is installed on both machines.
    >
    > Oscar
    >
    > "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote in message
    > Oscar;
    > Windows version is not relevant.
    > Is Excel installed on the computer?
    > Excel does not come with any operating system.
    >
    > If you do not have Excel, the free viewer will work for viewing only:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=C8378BF4-996C-4569-B547-75ED
    > BD03AAF0&displaylang=en
    >
    > --
    > Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
    > In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol
    > http://www.dts-l.org
    >

    > "Occupant" <occupant@spamtrap.com> wrote in message
    >>I create an excel file using XL97sr2 running under win98se
    >> and email it to my wife.
    >>
    >> She is running XP-home(using a limited acct) and gets
    >> the following XL97sr2 error message when trying to open
    >> my file:
    >> (In a MS Visual Basic window)
    >> Permission to use object denied
    >> [hitting Help shows error 419]
    >>
    >> I don't know if this is relevant but, Tools-Options is
    >> greyed out on the XL menu.
    >>
    >> Other friends with XP and XL(I don't know the versions)
    >> have no trouble opening it.
    >>
    >> What are we doing wrong and how do I fix it?
    >>
    >> Oscar
  4. I think the excel file may be damaged during such a long time. You can try to recover it, you can try a utility called Advanced PDF Repair to repair your PDF file. It works rather well for my damaged PDF files. Its web address is http://www.datanumen.com/apdfr/ I think you can just try the free demo.

Excel Windows XP