Well I went to Best Buy. I asked about return policy. Guy said 14 days. I had two cards in my hands. I asked him what's the differance both 9800XT. He said same. I handed him one light box. I gave him the other box more weight. He said take the box the has more weight. I said maybe ATI packed wrong card in other box. Went to pay asked cashier about return policy. She said Christmas gift. You have two weeks after Christmas. I said Christmas gift to me. That's Best Buy I can play with this card for about 1 month. Than return for refund.

Did you buy? If not then next time you go in force them to open the box. If they resist then mention the fact that alot of people have been getting the wrong card in retail boxes that have been returned and resold (illegal actually but it happens).

Check the cards for the parts you want right in front of them. Then decide.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

<b>-NEW PIC IN THGC ALBUM-</b>

Now fill it with a brick and return it ONLY to the guy you talkd to, saying 'See THIS is why it felt heavier!' :evil:

NO, no, you shouldn't do that, that would be wrong. Just enjoy your card. However you missed a great opportunity to mess with a Best Buy clerk's head (usually the least knowledgeable tech people out there IMO).

<i>

'Cause it's heavier it must be denser, right? So that means the electrons don't have to travel as far like Gold, right?'

'If it's heavier does that mean it has a higher melting point?'

'So do you think it's heavier because they cramed more pixels on the board?'

'Does the lighter one mean it's for SFF cases and the Heavier one is for full ATX cases/mobos?'

(best used on a 128v256mb), 'Is it heavier becuase of more memory?'
</i>
:evil:

In any case enjoy the card, let us know how it goes.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

That reminds me about Bricks. True story 20 years ago. A guy buys a $250 car radio from Sears. He returns it in the box they give him full refund. When someone in Sears finally opens the box nothing but bricks.

HAha, mine says Made In Canada! :tongue:

GeneticWeapon

Splendid
Jan 13, 2003
Mine say's made in China... :cool:

<b>Play MotoGP 2</b>
<A HREF="http://server4.uploadit.org/files2/091203-Moto1.jpg" target="_new">http://server4.uploadit.org/files2/091203-Moto1.jpg</A>

Wanna trade? :wink:

On second hought I think the R9800P would be too powerful (ie power consuming) for most of my friends' rigs, which is a concern if I want to give it away, like the last few.

I don't think we'll see any more cards made in Canada. Funny thing is, wasn't this (the R9800) series supposed to be the last of the BBA boards because ATI was leaving the Retail business to their OEM partners. I'm no longer worried like I was, the success of ASUS with the XT boards makes me comfortable letting BBA go. Who knows what MSI will bring to the equation !?!

GeneticWeapon

Splendid
Jan 13, 2003
Hopefully alot. MSI makes great stuff and I predict them having a bright future with ATi.(plus, most of their mainbords are ATi red anyways :cool: )

<b>Play MotoGP 2</b>
<A HREF="http://server4.uploadit.org/files2/091203-Moto1.jpg" target="_new">http://server4.uploadit.org/files2/091203-Moto1.jpg</A>

Yeah, the only other participant that would REALLY make me happy would be Gainward. They have a nice Liquid Cooling Solution for the FX series, and I'd love to see that on the Next Gen boards. Sapphire's solution was so Fugly!

If I'm building a whole new rig for a socket 939 mobo, new PSU, etc. Why not add liquid cooling and get a sweEet 'warrantied' setup. I don't have the time to do too much moding myself (at least not 'til summer).

A nice Liquid cooled R42X would offer alot of possibilities. And no I haven't forgottent about that traumatic Water cooling accident you posted here a long time ago. I want to avoid that or at least have a warranty to point to for it. :wink:

I do like their Colliseum looking HSF with all that copper, but I just hope their boxes are better than their current retail boxes. Yawn! Gimme Evil! :evil:

The FX5900 box looks like the Cleric from the Holy Grail, the 5950 looks like he got his head gilded. :wink:

GeneticWeapon

Splendid
Jan 13, 2003
I haven't forgottent about that traumatic Water cooling accident you posted here a long time ago.
Lol, yea...at the monthly lan parties I go to a couple of guy's have watercooled setups and I enjoy looking at them. The thing I dont like about watercooled PC's is that you gotta turn them off the second your finnished using them, their not trust worthy even if their nicely done(pump failure)

<b>Play MotoGP 2</b>

Vapor

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
OOOOOH!!!! I have a better one.

For my graduation my parents bought me a digital camera. The box was perfectly sealed (authentication strip and all). I opened it, inside were 21 arranged tiles that matched the weight and tumble characteristics of the camera...so my dad and I called Circuit City. We told them that there was no camera, but 21 tiles...they didn't sound surprised at all (almost like they expected it).

So we went there 10 min before they closed (kinda needed the camera for the trip to Europe I was taking the next day [I didn't have any other cameras, no film based cameras, no camcorders, nothing]) and they showed us the weights and the tumble effects compared to a real one (extremely slight difference in tumble, but that's all)...and walked out the door thrirty minutes later with a real one and a free case. I guess there was a chain of thefts from the packaging dept. of Sony.

Damn Rambus.

Working at my cousin's Auto Parts store. A guy needs a rebuilt waterpump for a Chevy. I go to the shelve, bring the nice clean box to the counter. Open the box used water pump. Someone needed a free Chevy water pump.

dhlucke

Polypheme
Holy shite.

When I worked at Best Buy (years ago) if someone came in claiming that the wrong product was in the box we would do nothing for them. They could call corporate for all we cared. We always assumed it to be fraud. Boy would those customers get mad.

We also caught a guy who was taking cheap monitors out of their boxes and filling the boxes with DVD players. This was when DVD players were fairly new and cost $400+. The entire staff baricaded the door and surrounded him. He made a lunge for one of us and ended up on the floor.

Best Buy...what a shitehole. Worst place to work...worst place to shop. I bought so much crap there though. They were so pissed off at me since I spent 3 times what I made there buying stuff.

Yeah that's the only thing that worries me. I don't really need water-cooling, but I do like quiet (along with low power, low heat and my other foibles). Howveer I'm not a fan of worrying about my stuff. I like buying quality stuff and setting it up in such a way that involes little maintenance, and little worry (one reason why the original 3.8 rumours worried me [until I read it was mainly affecting 9800s]).

In any case, we'll see what's on offer. Maybe it won't even be a temptation, but if you get a competing rig, I may have to do it just to have SOME advantage for a change. :wink: