Can't access extended drive

Hi all,

I've got a mate who runs a small business (tattooist), whoever set up his computer has-

a) give himself admin rights and disappeared, with all that entails
b) made 8 (eight!) partitions on a 20 Gig HD (for no apparent reason, some are empty, some have random Apps installed on them)
c) made the primary partition NTFS and all the others are FAT32
d) installed a copy of the AOL software that can't find certain files it needs and refuses to work (windows problem, not AOL, I think)

The plot thickens......

there are 2 primary drives, c: which is full and and 'an extended' drive (thats empty) which does'n't show up anywhere but Partition Magic.

How do I get my hands on the extended drive and merge it into c:?

WTF?

edit: he's running XP Pro which I have the disc for
4 answers Last reply
More about access extended drive
  1. That <b><font color=red>extended</b></font color=red> partition is not <b>empty</b>.
    The HD is divided into 2 partitions, Primary and Extended partition. The extended partition can be divided further into many logical drives (in your case, it's 7 drives besides the Primary).

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.
  2. you cant merge the drive to the bootable partition. to span drives you have to convert them to dynamic disks. wich you cant boot off of.

<font color=red> black </font color=red> <font color=green> white </font color=green> <font color=blue> yellow </font color=blue> <font color=orange> purple </font color=orange> <font color=black> red </font color=black> <font color=yellow> green </font color=yellow> <font color=purple> blue </font color=purple>
  3. The thing thats confusing me is that the extended partition is also down as a primary ie there are two primary partitions.
  4. I also see two primary partitions in PM, my local C: and the extended, so I don’t think that is a problem, but if you don’t see the drives in my computer that is a problem. Is PM showing them right, as being active, hiden or what not?
    I would say to use partition magic 8 to convert all the drives to either FAT or NTFS and then merge them all together or down to only a couple. I can’t tell you exactly how to do this, because I end up fooling around for awhile, until I get it right, and then apply the change. But if you go into my computer and don’t see these other drives it sounds like there was a problem from the get go making the partitions, and if that is the case I don’t know how you can fix it with out reformatting and starting over.

When you feel that reality does not suit you, live a fantasy life.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by jiffy on 06/09/03 07:23 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows XP