error trying to view other comp on network

error trying to view other comp on network

I have 2 comps. here's there names and ip
Chieftec 192.168.0.2
Antec 192.168.0.4

Chieftec can see Antec but not vice versa.

Both are have Win XP SP2, firewall off, simple file sharing on, file
and printer sharing on. both on Workgroup called WORKGROUP

Both have the built in user called Administrator with a blank password
Both have the built in user called Guest

when I go to either machine
Administrative tools..local security settings it lists many groups,
including Everyone and Administrators. Though there are slight
differences - like Chieftec also lists IUSR and IWAM. And Antec lists
Backup operators.

Here's the problem

When I am at the Chieftec computer and try to get into Antec -
\\192.168.0.4, it goes in fine - not even prompting me for a user/pass.

When I am at Antec and try to get into Chieftec, it says

note that 192.168.0.2 is the chieftec computer

"\\192.168.0.2 is not accessible. You might not have permission to use
this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find
out if you have access permission. Logon failure: the user has not
been granted the requested logon type at this computer"

I suppose I could try creating a new account on each with smae
user/pass but it doesn't make sense that i can see one computer and
not the other. THey are so similar.

scarabee wrote:
> Do you have the same network protocols installed on the two
computers?

yes

> Do you try connect to one-another both computers having the same user
> currently connected?

Administrator:blank

> Try to ping the non-responsive computer: Start > Run > type: cmd then
> press Enter > a black window appears type: ping -f
> non_responsive_pc_IP_address
> and give me back the output.

it pings. i get a reply. each computer is fine individually. i get on
the net, browse email.

> Also, have you started this lan from zero on both computers, meaning
> have you disabled firewall on both before interconnecting them?
Usualy
> there can be lots of trash left behind in the registry.

there isn't much software installed on either of these computers.
firewall is off. both computers have port 139 available 'cos file and
prionter sharing is on on both of them.

> In the ending, do you have an internet connection? How do you use it?

router/modem connected to the wall. computers plugged into router.
all comps have their internal IP Addresses.

--
scarabee
scarabee's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=11325